Going cashless abroad

Hey folks,

I have a Barclaycard Platinum card with no fee on foreign cash withdrawals and I'm off to Barcelona then Venice.

I guess withdrawing cash on a credit card will never feel quite right... but other than the usual (pay/withdraw in local currency, tell bank before you go etc.), any tips for going cashless?

Some card machines here have a fee - does this happen in Europe? Particularly Barcelona airport when I land.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Some have a fee, especially Spain.

Use your card for purchases wherever possible and when withdrawing cash, take out larger sums, rather than lots of smaller amounts.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    As you say, paying in local currency is essential and in Spain it's common to be offered the option (and it should be an "option") to be billed in GBP.

Take backups - even though they might be more expensive. Cards are more prone to blocking overseas, even if the CC company is aware of your travels. I tend to withdraw larger amounts of cash than I otherwise would and keep a reserve just in case.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pmarmalade wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I have a Barclaycard Platinum card with no fee on foreign cash withdrawals and I'm off to Barcelona then Venice.

I guess withdrawing cash on a credit card will never feel quite right... but other than the usual (pay/withdraw in local currency, tell bank before you go etc.), any tips for going cashless?

Some card machines here have a fee - does this happen in Europe? Particularly Barcelona airport when I land.
    Spanish banks have now started charging various fees for ATM withdrawals, but perhaps not all yet. There have been reports of which ones are still free if you want to search here and the Overseas board. There may be a range to try at Barcelona airport if it's not too busy.

A good backup card is Loot, prepaid account so no credit check, easy to get and simple to use:

https://loot.io/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2018 at 12:48PM
    eDicky wrote: »
    Spanish banks have now started charging various fees for ATM withdrawals, but perhaps not all yet. There have been reports of which ones are still free if you want to search here and the Overseas board. There may be a range to try at Barcelona airport if it's not too busy.

A good backup card is Loot, prepaid account so no credit check, easy to get and simple to use:

https://loot.io/

I am not aware about this charge ?.
    Could anyone please name typical example cash machines that charge for cash withdrawal.

How to identify which one does which one doe not, thanks ??

Thanks
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    adindas wrote: »
    I am not aware about this charge ?.
    Could anyone please name typical example cash machines that charge for cash withdrawal.

How to identify which one does which one doe not, thanks ??
    They have been named here but I don't remember too well, you can search. Try Banca March, Caixabank, Bankia. But they will all be following the trend to charge probably, it varies, 2-5€. When you put your card in and proceed it will give notice of a fee.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,105 Forumite
    Here's a thread I started about it.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5703378

Santander were the worst offenders at a flat 5 euros. There were other free options. Those things can change quite quickly though.
  • According to the cashless rating, Barcelona and Venice are the cashless transactions country. At some point of place, cash is needed for buying some small things. Whenever you need cash you can be taken from Airport and Bank of the particular country. But, going cashless is the better option than having cash. There is no need to take cash with you just swipe your card and make payment.
    HNY:A
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've been cashless in both Barcelona and Venice. Provided you stay away from the "tourist traps", i.e. people trying to sell you rubbish fridge magnets, then almost everywhere accepts card payments.

In any case, I always keep a stock of Euros at home just to take to Euroland, "just in case". Always end up bringing it home.

There have been some places (e.g. Greece) where I found the card acceptance was very poor. Yet, one year later, most places were taking cards but prices had increased considerably. I assume a lack of cash available led to more businesses getting card machines (and therefore having to pay taxes).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure