MSE News: Ofwat to quiz water firms after...

Options
Water regulator Ofwat has announced a review of the supply issues experienced by customers during the recent severe weather conditions...
Read the full story:
'Ofwat to quiz water firms after thousands of shortages'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm guessing that the result will be a statement like "lessons will be learned" and that will be it.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A lot of the problems seem to be outside the control of the water companies. When customer have burst pipes on their premises that are wasting thousands of litres of water it's not easy for the supplier to be able to cope with those kind of losses
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    A lot of the problems seem to be outside the control of the water companies. When customer have burst pipes on their premises that are wasting thousands of litres of water it's not easy for the supplier to be able to cope with those kind of losses

I think you have not read the article properly.

What Ofwat will be looking into is the burst water mains and pipework and reaction to the way which the companies were privately warned about 30 days in advance by the appropriate authorities. All of this is in hands of the water companies not the home-side of things.

Plus the domestic intake is 15mm in diameter, Most water mains in the street are at least 100mm in diameter. So there would have to have been alot of home leaks to make a mains in the road to go dry.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Richmc
    Richmc Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »

No it's the complete lack of maintenance expenditure, in favour of shareholders and management bonuses. This is what happens when you sell utility companies abroad, all the profits go that way as well. The only solution is to re-nationalise them.

and when customers have burst pipes you still pay for the water, except in cases of extreme hardship.:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure