Yorkshire Water

Just moved into my first home LS11 area of Leeds and received a bill for the year of £612.42 for a 3 bed Semi. 2 adults and 2 young kids. The bill just seems too high because at my parents it was just over £300 for 6 of us. Their house is 4 bed Mid terrace and around 5ish minutes from my house.

Just wondering if this is correct amount I should be paying or should I just switch to a meter.

Thanks

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Does the bill say estimate ?? E

If not on a water meter you are on the old RV system .Different property's will have different RV and charges .

£612 PA is at the lower end of the scale .
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Water is good value for money in Yorkshire.

For a council tax band C property without a meter Yorkshire Water rates would have been about £300 per annum, in line with your parents payment.

I suggest you phone YW, they are very approachable, and check you don't already have a meter. They may have estimated your usage based on the former occupants.
  • Qasim99
    Qasim99 Posts: 70 Forumite
    No estimate must the RV and both of our houses are tax band B. Will call them though.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You council tax band has no bearing whatsover on the water RV which was determined many years ago and cannot be changed.

What does you water bill say - is it based on Rateable Value and is it a whole year. You can look at your water company's website to check how bills are determined.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Qasim99
    Qasim99 Posts: 70 Forumite
    matelodave wrote: »
    You council tax band has no bearing whatsover on the water RV which was determined many years ago and cannot be changed.

What does you water bill say - is it based on Rateable Value and is it a whole year. You can look at your water company's website to check how bills are determined.

Yh its based on the Rateable value and the whole year. They said I could put in a meter but I don`t its worth it so will just stick with it
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Qasim99 wrote: »
    Yh its based on the Rateable value and the whole year. They said I could put in a meter but I don`t its worth it so will just stick with it

Agree. With average consumption for 2 adults and 2 children you are looking at a bill of over £700 on a meter.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cardew wrote: »
    Agree. With average consumption for 2 adults and 2 children you are looking at a bill of over £700 on a meter.

Crikey!! Water is expensive with you lot!! I'm on a meter & pay £336 a year (give or take) & that's for 1 adult & 2 kids.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Cardew
    Oakdene wrote: »
    Crikey!! Water is expensive with you lot!! I'm on a meter & pay £336 a year (give or take) & that's for 1 adult & 2 kids.

That £700 was for average consumption of 220 m3 a year - see:

https://www.yorkshirewater.com/our-charges/customers-with-a-meter/

The same consumption with South West water would cost over £1,300!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm a band A bungalow with YW my bill this year is £266.12
  • Cardew
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    I'm a band A bungalow with YW my bill this year is £266.12

Council tax bands have no affect on water charges.

Presumably you are unmetered? if so what is your Rateable Value(RV)?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure