Barclaycard World MasterCard (Ex Egg Money) Being Replaced with Amex + Visa Combo

Comments

• Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Oh, how I miss that green Egg card. Those were the days. If you remember, it used to pay in-credit interest too at good rates!
    It sure did......4%!!!

Another vote here for DITCH & SWITCH. Best VISA or MC for cashback anyone?
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    just about to do the same... Thanks.
    Amazon vouchers would be as handy as £ these days!

I've just applied for the Amazon MasterCard. It says they will give me a decision "within 2 weeks". Hmmmm.....
  • senaiboy
    senaiboy Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just got this in the mail today as well. All good things come to an end.

I'm not that experienced with credit cards (Egg was my first) and this is a huge downgrade, but is it really that bad? I was thinking maybe I'll just have to bring both cards from now, at least I can still get 0.5% with the Visa card if Amex isn't accepted. Besides, there's no annual fee for a change.

Looking through other credit cards they aren't that much better. I spend a significant amount outside the "petrol, groceries, travel" so Santander is no good, Amex Platinum is still Amex, and the other decent ones pay in vouchers not cash.
  • Froggitt
    My cashback cards don't seem to last more than a few years. I must have had six or seven different cards in the past twenty years or so......e.g. GM Card (that was a real bargain, traded in Mrs Frogs car and some points for a new car every five years), Conran Card, Egg Card, Barclaycard.
  • Because i've been around the cash back block too many times, i've always wondered how these CC companies managed to maintain 1% back on Visa and MC. But they don't - there just isn't any profit in it. So this is not a surprise.

i can cope with the Amex card at 1% I think. I have a HSBC Premier Mastercard which I never use, and that now offers Avios miles. But I may apply for the Amazon card as i'm always shopping on there. Also have a 123 current account, so that card might be worth a look for the first year only.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Gordon861 wrote: »
    Just got an email from home to tell me about this letter. Need to find a new card now, not interested in Amex want MasterCard/Visa. Not sure where to go now, but don't want a fee, might just look for a non-cashback that does a decent extended warranty.

But I will be leaving as a matter of principle over this change. We all worried that they would screw us after they took over Egg, and hear it is.

So any credit card companies that want a sudden influx of new customers, here is your chance.

Good luck finding anything better really cash back wise. Amex green and Bank of Scotland (I think) are the only cards with extended warranty as far as I can remember.

There really aren't any great non-Amex reward cards anymore.
  • Froggitt
    Apart from Amex cards, the MSE CC list seems to say that the only card with at least 1% cashback on everything is Amazon. Is that right? I don't mind that its in Amazon vouchers as I spend loads with them anyway.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Froggitt wrote: »
    Apart from Amex cards, the MSE CC list seems to say that the only card with at least 1% cashback on everything is Amazon. Is that right? I don't mind that its in Amazon vouchers as I spend loads with them anyway.

Pretty much unless your eligible for the HSBC premier credit card. MasterCard and Visa don't really earn issuers much money these days and its to be capped at 0.3% by the EU soon. Excluding the Amazon there really aren't any decent Visa or MasterCards out there anymore. Thats why we now have 4 major issuers in the UK that issue Amex cards (Lloyds Bank, TSB, MBNA and now Barclaycard..
  • I've just had the letter. Just out of interest, does anyone here know if they will keep the APR's the same. My first instinct was that in light of their recent results they'll try and sneakily up the APR at the same time.

Any thoughts?
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just had the letter. Just out of interest, does anyone here know if they will keep the APR's the same. My first instinct was that in light of their recent results they'll try and sneakily up the APR at the same time.

Any thoughts?

Isn't the golden rule of cashback cards to always pay in full?

The APR should be of no concern as you don't pay interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure