Barclaycard World MasterCard (Ex Egg Money) Being Replaced with Amex + Visa Combo

OllyM
OllyM Posts: 370 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 28 February 2014 at 9:54AM in Credit cards
I've had a letter this morning from Barclaycard to say that from May 2014 they intend to replace my Barclaycard World MasterCard that earns 1% cashback with an Amex and Visa combination.

Basically the Amex will earn 1% cashback and the Visa will earn 0.5% cashback - useless for me because I only use it in places that don't accept Amex!

They are also withdrawing the various insurance policies that came with the card (missed event cover, purchase cover etc.)

Oh well, it was good while it lasted I guess :(

More info is online here: http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/customer/cashback/guide

Comments

• Yes i ve got that letter to!!!

I am not very impressed to be honest, ok some places accept Amex, but what a hassle

May be time for a move, had the card for years
    Proud to be a member of the Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Gang.:D:T
  • Yes, a bit of a let-down. I like to carry a Visa, Mastercard and an Amex in case of problems.

This means I'll have to look for a new Mastercard. Probably go for the Marks and Spencer version.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • On the plus side, they say you can request your cashback to be paid on the next statement date, so you don't have to wait a year. (I've seen nothing about them raising the limits.)
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just got the letter too. Need to crunch the numbers but will at least spend £300 to get the initial £15 credit.

Originally had the egg card for many years now. Maybe Santander 123 could be an option for me.
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mike347928 wrote: »
    On the plus side, they say you can request your cashback to be paid on the next statement date, so you don't have to wait a year. (I've seen nothing about them raising the limits.)

Says there are no limits on the amount you can earn.
  • Gambler wrote: »
    Just got the letter too. Need to crunch the numbers but will at least spend £300 to get the initial £15 credit.

Originally had the egg card for many years now. Maybe Santander 123 could be an option for me.

Thats what i was wondering
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,003 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No letter yet but this has been my fallback card for a few years for when I am between cards with better offers or doing an Amex offer and hit a non-Amex retailler :(
    I think....
  • DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Ah well, maybe time to investigate the Santander 123 card to crunch some numbers.

Cheers, Des.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 February 2014 at 12:51PM
    Well, it was bound to happen at some point.

Most of my cashback comes from Amazon and British Airways and both of them them accept Amex so it's not too much of a loss.

It's just as shame they are switching from MC to Visa as that will leave me without a MC now. It's always noce to have at least one CC from each network in case of any problems.
  • Oh yea I see what u mean.
    Luckily got the Halifax clarity card
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills