Oil or LPG?

Options
2»

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help. We have chosen a rural area as we prefer that to city living, and being in the Cotswolds we are spoilt when it comes to stunning views. Oil heating, or LPG, is something we have accepted as part of the deal of living in the middle of nowhere. It is very confusing when you haven't used either before, and when I've read horror stories and it costing in excess of 1k a year in oil, compared to gas which is a couple of hundred. I think we will be staying with oil, based on advice such as yours on here, but will be investing in a new top notch boiler to run it as efficiently as possible. Can anyone tell me how much they pay a year in oil please? Obviously we all live differently, but would like to try and get a rough idea of costs. Great advice on speaking to the neighbours, although there aren't many of them, and also ordering in the summer months. We will certainly be taking that on board. Apologies if I have posted in the wrong place too. I'm a newbie here����

If you were to compare apples with apples, £1000 p.a is not that expensive.

The average consumer on standard variable rate tariff (or a PPM) would typically spend about £1300 p.a on dual fuel.

Admittedly this includes electricity, but for many dual fuel users, gas would account for at least 50% of this cost.

And of course, many people spend a lot more than £1300 p.a on gas and electricity.

If you are a low user, then you won't use £1000 p.a of heating oil
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    I lived in a four bed bungalow outside Bristol and averaged one tank (1000 litres) per year living alone. Oil CH and hot water. When it was four of us we used about double that - children had to be bathed every night, double the number of showers, CH run at a higher temperature, more much more washing etc.

Much easier to talk about volumes as the price per litre fluctuates with the crude oil price. The first tank I bought in 1996 was 9p/litre. On occasion around 2008-2010 I had to pay over 40p / litre, then I moved. Imagine it's cheaper than that now as the crude price has fallen a lot due to oversupply, though the recent OPEC decision to cut production may force it back up again.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't imagine lpg ever being cheaper than oil. If comparing then be aware that a litre of log yields a net heat output of 6.6 kWh whereas the same volume of oil yields a net 9.8 kWh.
    I always feel that the absence of any written contract with a supplier is a plus point for oil ....no reams of fine print. Get a tank that holds a years worth of oil, watch the price trend as given by sites such as Boilerjuice and buy when the price is low. That used to be July/August but things aren't so predictable now.
  • inholms
    inholms Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm on oil and thinking of adding LPG as a back up. I do not like to be beholding to the oil companies. They seem to have no loyalty to their customers when things get tight. Has anynone any experience of a dual system> I was thinking of buying a used lpg boier on ebay and have it fitted into my cenral heating system by a fitter and having the LPG from rent free cylinders.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    inholms wrote: »
    I do not like to be beholding to the oil companies.
    You obviously have no experience of LPG companies then! :D

Read this .. its only just over 3K posts
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1003291

Then post your query here ..
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ditto the above. I've had oil and lpg. Oil every time for me, much more control over suppliers.

Even as a backup system, gas bottles are not brilliant value for money for heating, probably OK for cooking as not much gas used for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure