Complex constructive dismissal claim

TLDR: Owed money by former employer but the sole remaining director won't put it into administration. Tribunal is unlikely to help as the company has no money; director is ignoring statutory demands as he knows no-one can afford/be bothered to enforce them. And to complicate matters: I was on the board when I resigned. Can't claim stat redundancy as the company isn't 'insolvent' on paper, even though it is in practice. Seemingly I have no options available to me.
- - - - -
Hi - I wonder if anyone could help me. I know that the first reply will be 'you need to speak to a lawyer', but I can't afford one (as the post will explain) and CAB haven't been very useful.

For 6 years I was a Director and Employee (with an employment contract) of a company in London, that began experiencing financial difficulties in Spring last year. The company had been loss-making for several years prior and in the Spring I stepped back from my role and took on a new role in the business. I remained as a director, because the company was going through trouble, but I reported to a new MD above me and had little day-to-day control over the business.

Over the summer, the company basically ran out of money and began getting into debt. It was just about keeping its head above water, but barely. It was a small firm - just a few employees - and September was the last month that people were paid.

In October, the Director controlling the business (not the MD) advised staff not to leave and that 'investment was coming'. Staff had no other jobs lined up and we were pressured into staying, on the basis that if we left the company would definitely collapse and no-one would get any pay. We did stay, on the strength of the guidance that money was lined up (and there was evidence of this); we weren't happy but if we were paid slightly late that was better than not being paid at all.

In November, alarm bells were well and truly ringing. Myself and others were looking for new jobs, but with little success. Although I was on the board, I had little control over what was happening (for a number of reasons), but the directors were still being reassured that investment was lined up.

In December, it was clear that no investment was lined up. For that reason, I and another acted as responsible directors should and voted to put the company into administration. This was rejected by the other directors and so for that reason I tendered my resignation from the board along with another director. I also resigned as an employee; by this point I was owed £14k in salary and then suddenly found myself heading into Christmas unpaid, in debt and with no savings. It was a disaster.

In late December all former staff began the ACAS early conciliation thread, but the the remaining two directors just went into lockdown and refused to engage. The 30-day period was just about to lapse when it emerged that one of the directors had also resigned, because he hadn't been paid (the two directors also work together in a separate company, which is where he was employed, if that makes sense). So, it left one sole director and no staff.

At this point, the remaining director began aggressively fighting all claims against the company and refused to acknowledge the company was insolvent, which continues today. £150k of debt, minimal monthly revenue, two ACAS early conciliation processes underway, all staff resigned and claiming constructive dismissal, suppliers stopping providing services, staff owed £30k+ collectively, unable to pay bills as they fall due and so on.

ACAS supported me in exploring my claim, having exhausted the 30 day + 14 day extended early conciliation process. A settlement offer was made by me (which was derisory) and then an even more derisory counter-offer was made by them. I then learnt that the remaining director was finally thinking about putting the company into administration, but hasn't - and I refused the counter offer as it was so low that it just wasn't worth it at all. It turns out it's still trading and it appears that the sole director has no intention of shutting things down. Either he genuinely believes he can turn it around (in which case, he's deluded), or otherwise it's something much more sinister.

Anyway, long story short. I have until tomorrow to submit my tribunal claim and I don't know where to turn. I can't afford a lawyer or legal advice, as I have no money. On the one hand, my claim is totally cut and shut - I'm a former employee who wasn't paid for three months who had to leave because he wasn't paid. But it's complicated on the other hand, because I was a director and so the argument will be that I accepted that risk.

Anyway, I don't know where to turn. All I know is that I am significant financial distress (see other thread) as a result of being out of work for 3 months and unpaid for 5 months, and I can't claim any statutory amount because my former employer and sole director is acting unlawfully in not putting the company into administration (which, I understand, is possibly being looked at now).

I'm hoping that the guidance will be: it doesn't matter that you are a director. The point is that you had a contract of employment and you weren't paid for three months, requiring you to resign and accept another job. But equally I feel incredibly violated by the remaining Director's conduct and don't want to proceed with a tribunal claim only to find out that directors can't claim constructive dismissal.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport