Taste Card Auto-renewal

Comments

• I completely agree, Tastecard, with all its restrictions and exemptions is all but worthless which is why they employ the auto renewal subscription ploy otherwise they would get no repeat business. And that clearly shows then you try to cancel as they are intransigent on this and repeatedly state their T and Cs at you endlessly. I do feel there needs to be better regulation around auto renewal processes, you should at least get a 'cool off' period of around 14 days to cancel.

If this product is so good, what have the company got to lose by introducing this!!!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You keep posting on any thread you can find (this one is dead!) in your campaign.

You need to accept your responsibility in all this - you agreed the ts + cs you now complain they are using when you took out your membership.

When buying online don't just tick to say you have read and understood the ts + cs when you haven't - bound to end in tears!
  • kimnevard
    kimnevard Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2017 at 9:41AM
    Quentin, not sure why it bothers you what and where I post my comments! For your information, I have been through all my emails when I signed up to this and cannot find the terms and conditions anywhere so no wonder I didn't notice it was an auto renewal process. you repeatedly comment on posts about this, always citing that people should read the T and Cs, you sound just like Tastecard customer services. All T and C's are in small print, they are dense and the language is often inaccessible and that is deliberate, in my case I got this as a groupon deal and no T's and C's were in the emails. Also, why does a successful company that is supposedly offering a good product, need to employ these tactics? They may not be illegal, by they are immoral and disingenuous. For those who have had their cards automatically renewed, where is the harm in refunding people who no longer need the card? Surely if the business so successful, they won't have to do this that often!? As a so called gesture of goodwill, they offered to refund me £6, why? when I haven't used the card in the whole time I have had it and no longer want it, what is the point. If they can offer a refund, why not for the full amount?
  • Quentin
    edited 20 September 2017 at 10:32AM
    The Groupon pointed you to the tastecsrd ts & cs.

Ts & cs are generally referred to as "small print".

All businesses have them! Ts & cs protect both parties. Hardly immorsl!

Groupon refers to them as fine print.

Others have pointed out that this is entirely your fault, and the best you can hope for is a goodwill gesture. But that's unlikely to be increased the way you have approached this issue
  • Why oh why are you so concerned to keep responding to my posts citing the Tastecard company line? Do you work for them? I notice you seem to seek out tastecard posts. I know your view, I have heard it, I don't happen to agree with it, so please move on and feel free to ignore me as I shall you.
  • Quentin
    I am not particularly citing any ones line as such. Just trying to point out the futility of arguing the ts + cs which you agreed.

They offered a goodwill gesture which you aren't happy with.

Your legal remedy is to challenge the fairness of the conditions you agreed in court.

There is a rant forum here that lets you have a go at companies you are unhappy with and let off steam if that's your objective. (Praise. vent and warning). That is more appropriate for your campaign against tastecard
  • My situation is slightly different

I took out the £1 3 month trial using a prepaid card that could not be charged the £40 at the end of the trial

near the end of the trial I tried to phone them a couple of times to cancel but gave up as the line was engaged each time

They then tried to charge me but could not - I received an email saying they would continue to try to charge me for the next 30 days

Now 3 months down the line I receive another more threatening email saying they still cannot charge me & that

"... N.B !!!8211; We can!!!8217;t accept cancellation requests for this renewal if not previously cancelled in line with our Terms & Conditions ... "

Looks to me like possibly the next email will be a threat to hand over the "debt" to a debt collection agency ?

Has anybody had this happen i.e. debt collectors getting involved

Hi, can I ask what happened in the end with this? Did they continue to pursue it? I'm in a similar position now - they've not been able to take payment as my card details have changed. I don't want to continue with another year's membership and am tempted just to leave it in the hope that it will be cancelled.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sticky111 wrote: »
    Hi, can I ask what happened in the end with this? Did they continue to pursue it? I'm in a similar position now - they've not been able to take payment as my card details have changed. I don't want to continue with another year's membership and am tempted just to leave it in the hope that it will be cancelled.

Have you looked to see if you can cancel the direct debit via online banking ?
  • m0nkeyb0y
    m0nkeyb0y Posts: 34 Forumite
    The fact of the matter is that Tastecard go out of their way to ensure that the auto-renewal system is downplayed - and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that very few people receive their advance warning email about the impending renewal.

Yes, it is our fault as subscribers for not paying attention to the T&Cs, but that does not make these underhand tactics right. Those of us who have fallen victim to this scam need to make others aware to prevent them from falling for the "30 days for £1" trap.

We also need to make people aware that none of the deals offered by Tastecard are unique. Better deals are generally available from the restaurants direct - FOR FREE. And for the independent restaurants, Tastecard is just downright evil: https://trstp.lt/pYr4JW

If you've been scammed by Tastecard, make sure you leave them a negative Trustpilot review here: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/tastecard.co.uk.

At the moment Tastecard is clearly gaming the review system; many of the positive reviews are completely fake, or have been completed by people who have never even used their card. Feel free to report those to Trustpilot too.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    m0nkeyb0y wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is that Tastecard go out of their way to ensure that the auto-renewal system is downplayed - and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that very few people receive their advance warning email about the impending renewal.

Yes, it is our fault as subscribers for not paying attention to the T&Cs, but that does not make these underhand tactics right. Those of us who have fallen victim to this scam need to make others aware to prevent them from falling for the "30 days for £1" trap.

We also need to make people aware that none of the deals offered by Tastecard are unique. Better deals are generally available from the restaurants direct - FOR FREE. And for the independent restaurants, Tastecard is just downright evil: https://trstp.lt/pYr4JW

If you've been scammed by Tastecard, make sure you leave them a negative Trustpilot review here: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/tastecard.co.uk.

At the moment Tastecard is clearly gaming the review system; many of the positive reviews are completely fake, or have been completed by people who have never even used their card. Feel free to report those to Trustpilot too.

Irrespective of what taste card do why not use the calendar function on your phone or a physical calendar and make a note on it when to cancel the subscription.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback