Aldi prices creeping up

Comments

• robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Gnocchi wrote: »
    Saw a tweet today that Aldi is looking to recruit 4000 new staff and Lidl is aiming to open one new store per week for the next ten years, according to a tweet from The Grocer.

Wondering how more Lidl and Aldi stores would affect prices. Might Aldi and Lidl try to go more mainstream and increase prices and widen ranges ?

Alternatively, would Tesco and Sainsbury lower theirs ?

I've noticed amount of offers on Ocado reduced drastically but not many price rises. However in Sainsbury's and Tesco fresh stuff is up. My carrots up 25p, apples 10p, olive oil 50p.

I think Lidl could do with more expansion and I'd like Aldi to expand to take the pressure off existing stores. However it could all back-fire in the future and expand too quickly and then end up like Tesco with stores closing.
  • peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    peewhyeff wrote: »
    Also Lidl. I've been buying their 50p bag of frozen chips for the last year. It's just a nice size for us and means I haven't got to store chips in the freezer. Bought a bag yesterday....now 55p.....10% price increase!
    Update. The 1kg 50p/55p bag disappeared sometime in June and was replaced by 1.5kg bag for 85p. Today the 1kg bag has returned. ....and is now 63p!!!!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I was in Aldi at the weekend and got some stuff that normally would have been £25 ish. At the till it was £34! No point going out of my way to get there any more.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mardatha wrote: »
    I was in Aldi at the weekend and got some stuff that normally would have been £25 ish. At the till it was £34! No point going out of my way to get there any more.

Surely that's too great a difference to be accounted for by prices rises of a few per cent here and there?
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »

I'd check your receipt to make sure it's accurate.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I'd check your receipt to make sure it's accurate.

I'd compare your receipt to the one from the week before. I realise that some commodities have gone up more than others but even Sainsbury's has limited increases to about 20%. Your bill has increased closer to 35%:eek:

You're either very unlucky, bought something extra unexpectedly or there's an error.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    3 items accounted for £10 of it, I did check the receipt yes. :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 August 2017 at 4:47PM
    In my opinion .... "it all started going wrong" when the middle classes "discovered" them - and they then rode the back of that horse and upped their posh game by introducing "premium" and "de luxe" ranges, accompanied by more advertising, including on the telly.

All that needs to be paid for.

They used to be good utilitarian shops - now I struggle to find any "real/proper" food in there as everything's gone "up market" in what they sell.

Only two cheap quiche flavours.... just 3' from a raft of salmon packages!

I saw in Aldi yesterday, in a typical "trifle for 4" plastic packaging, an Eton Mess! The £1/or so cheap trifle I was looking for was nowhere to be seen.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    In my opinion .... "it all started going wrong" when the middle classes "discovered" them - and they then rode the back of that horse and upped their posh game by introducing "premium" and "de luxe" ranges, accompanied by more advertising, including on the telly.

All that needs to be paid for.

They used to be good utilitarian shops - now I struggle to find any "real/proper" food in there as everything's gone "up market" in what they sell.

Only two cheap quiche flavours.... just 3' from a raft of salmon packages!

I saw in Aldi yesterday, in a typical "trifle for 4" plastic packaging, an Eton Mess! The £1/or so cheap trifle I was looking for was nowhere to be seen.

I take your point entirely, but an alternative viewpoint is that it's the high margin premium ranges that are enabling Aldi and Lidl to improve their stores to continue to attract customers away from the major supermarkets. And also to cross-subsidise the lower margin products they still sell at rock bottom prices.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    You can still save serious amounts of money in Aldi. Just today I bought English Cherries from them at under £5 per kilo. A top-up shop at Sainsbury's later this afternoon revealed English cherries at around £7!

Similarly, a can of USA produced red salmon in Aldi is £1.89. The same product in Sainsbury's costs £2.60.

And all the while the voice on the Tannoy intones 'live well for less'!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure