Vignettes for motorway travel in France & Spain.

I am travelling to France & Spain in September through the tunnel to Valencia on the motorways.I originally understood I needed one vignette for each country for the quicker tele peage lanes.My wife cannot reach the booths so I have to get out each time we come to a toll booth.I have just been told you can buy one vignette to cover both countries?. Can anyone confirm this please?.
I assume that if I need 2 vignettes I should put them side by side behind the rear view mirror?.
Thanks.

Comments

• Found this guide:
    https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas-holidays/planning-your-route/motorway-tolls-and-vignettes/

In France motorways charge tolls but you can pay them on either side of the car, go to the ones with an British sign on them so it will be your side.
  • dutchism1958
    dutchism1958 Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you so much Economicsgirl-I will look into this.I hadn't noticed the UK booths.
    Appreciate it!
    Gary.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 July 2017 at 9:12PM
    Maybe the northern autoroutes have more double-sided booths than the rest of the country.

You aren't obliged to get the device from the company you'll travel on most, or the UK offshoot of one of them.

Some toll companies will post to the UK. I chose ATMB a while ago, as it had slightly lower monthly fee, and at the time lower deposit and free postage. I haven't checked if that is still the case.

http://www.autoroutes.fr/fr/les-societes-d-autoroutes.htm

Some of these are co-owned or joint deals, so probably 4 to 6 options.
  • dutchism1958
    Thank you redux,I will check this one out too!
  • Just asked my French husband about this. He says the UK booths were abolished a couple of years ago so there aren't anymore, sorry.

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk appear to provide a way to pay tolls but it costs more than paying them individually.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just asked my French husband about this. He says the UK booths were abolished a couple of years ago so there aren't anymore, sorry.

www.saneftolling.co.uk appear to provide a way to pay tolls but it costs more than paying them individually.

I've had a French tag from Sanef for a couple of years - good company, good website, easy to deal with and efficient. They also run the Dartford Crossong toll system and rumour has it the 2 systems will be merged soon-ish.

For a recent Italian trip I found a German company that are agents for pretty much every European country's tolls :-
    [FONT=&quot]www.tolltickets.com

Again, excellent service, good website and efficient.[/FONT]
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • dutchism1958
    Thank you mgdavid and Economicsgirl,I have had a look and am now armed with all I need to do.....It will save my back never mind time lol!!
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Don't forget that some autoroutes are free. Look at the ones from Caen to Rennes, Nantes and then to Cholet, all free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure