PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Relocating to Wales

Options

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Not much welsh spoken in South Wales, would be an issue in the north, particularly north-west Wales.

rydw yn hoffi coffi
    I was around Snowdonia last year and wanted to see the sea. I went to a beach in a town but decided to drive along the coast to find a quieter beach. Driving along I was amazed at how long Traeth beach was. It took a while to realise traeth was Welsh for beach. Doh.
  • oldposter
    oldposter Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou all for your detailed replies, I never expected to get so much information so quickly!

It is hard to be exact at the moment as it is very early days but in answer to some of the questions:
    We will both need to work, my field is admin and finance, OH is mechanical and engineering.
    Rental budget would be upto £500 p/m and there's no scope to buy just now sadly.
    No possibility of children sadly so schools isn't an issue.

Short reply for now (on a phone) but will add more detail tomorrow :)
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Lord_Baltimore Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Options
    The Welsh Government have offices in North, Mid and South Wales - might be employment opportunity there. Transport Department might suit the skills of you and your partner?

It depends how remote you want to be. Oh, and Pembrokeshire is stunning: perhaps Tenby?
    Mornië utulië
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Wales is no different from anywhere else. If you live close to the cities there are jobs but it's urban; if you live in the countryside it's nice but there aren't any jobs. There are plenty of areas of England that are just the same.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As others have said, look at a map of Wales and all the major centres of employment are in the coastal fringes, while the interior is largely rural. The scenery and sense of freedom in the latter is part of the attraction, but not necessarily as places to live.

The climate in central Wales is harsher than around the coast, and places above 200m should be regarded with care if you need to commute or suffer from SAD. It would be just the same if you chose to live on Exmoor, or in parts of, say, the Lake District, in the area where you are now. At least you will be used to an Atlantic-influenced weather regime!

So, if you want reasonable convenience and good value, the hinterland of a city/large or uni town is the best bet, avoiding seaside locations favoured by retirees/2nd homers, or blighted by seasonal emptiness.

Things get more personal as you investigate a particular locality. For example, I wouldn't have bought in the area between the centres of Llanelli and Carmarthen, yet I'd have considered the Whitland/ St Clears area on the other side of the latter town because it offers good value, reasonable scenery and good access to the Pembs coast/ other centres. Others might have a different view.

That's why you are wise renting first, which will give you a chance to acquire a real feel for your chosen location. Good luck!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Penarth just outside Cardiff has good links, and there's Cardiff Bay not far away. Penarth can be quite expensive though, as can Cowbridge.

The Valleys are cheap, nost have good road links to Swansea/Cardiff, but choose wisely, some areas of Merthyr are not great, some areas of the Rhondda aren't. Also consider hospitals etc...Some are dire.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Harryp_24
    Harryp_24 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    3mph wrote: »
    The majority of the population and therefore jobs live along the coastal strip from Swansea to Newport. Housing costs vary enormously, as with many places. From extremely cheap up in the Valleys to very expensive in the sort after areas of Cardiff, Swansea, Newport etc. Brecon Beacons have stunning countryside and equally some amazing coastal areas. Gower combines both but you would be limited by journey to working in Swansea or west of Cardiff.

No idea what North Wales is like for jobs.

sorry as someone from Bristol seeing Newport labelled very expensive made me giggle.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2017 at 8:14AM
    Options
    The Welsh Government have offices in North, Mid and South Wales - might be employment opportunity there. Transport Department might suit the skills of you and your partner?

It depends how remote you want to be. Oh, and Pembrokeshire is stunning: perhaps Tenby?

The Welsh Assembly is one of those employers that these days requires staff to speak Welsh (at least those dealing with the public anyway). There's a recent law that says public sector bodies must deal with the public in Welsh if a member of the public so chooses - and hence that legal requirement.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was around Snowdonia last year and wanted to see the sea. I went to a beach in a town but decided to drive along the coast to find a quieter beach. Driving along I was amazed at how long Traeth beach was. It took a while to realise traeth was Welsh for beach. Doh.

A friend's mother used to think that Wales had a lovely chain of hotels, the Gwesty chain, took her a few years of visits to realise that gwesty is just Welsh for hotel, she had even recommended to friends back home in Sussex that if they ever visit Wales to stay in a gwesty hotel.
    oldposter wrote: »
    Thankyou all for your detailed replies, I never expected to get so much information so quickly!

It is hard to be exact at the moment as it is very early days but in answer to some of the questions:
    We will both need to work, my field is admin and finance, OH is mechanical and engineering.
    Rental budget would be upto £500 p/m and there's no scope to buy just now sadly.
    No possibility of children sadly so schools isn't an issue.

Short reply for now (on a phone) but will add more detail tomorrow :)

£500 for rental down South would really leave you with the valleys, possibly a small holding heading into Powys or Carmarthenshire but they are likely to be pretty run down for that price and quite a few places in those areas still run on oil with no gas.
    -taff wrote: »
    Penarth just outside Cardiff has good links, and there's Cardiff Bay not far away. Penarth can be quite expensive though, as can Cowbridge.

The Valleys are cheap, nost have good road links to Swansea/Cardiff, but choose wisely, some areas of Merthyr are not great, some areas of the Rhondda aren't. Also consider hospitals etc...Some are dire.

Penarth has gone very expensive lately I know of a house recently bought there although detached is about the same size as my valleys mid terrace and it has hardly any garden to speak of after being built in the grounds of another detached property and either went for just under or just over a million. In comparison I paid less than £70,000 for mine.

There are only really two areas in Merthyr that are not the greatest, the rest really isn't as bad as people like to make out, of course there is good and bad everywhere, same as Aberdare has some really rough areas and some really nice ones, as does Caerphilly, Rhondda and heading Blaenau way is no different. Even Cardiff itself has some rough areas around Canton and Ely but also has Penarth and Cowbridge
  • 3mph
    3mph Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Harryp_24. I understand your comment about Bristol prices but I did say parts of and that is still valid that overall the SE is more than Bristol and ditto say Swansea but some areas are the reverse. I am buying (well attempting) a 2 bed Flat for £535k in South Wales but within 1 mile I can get one for £150k and within 5 miles for £70k all in good condition and all similar floor area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure