I Want To Be Mortgage Free!

Comments

• Jessy - how old are your nephews? My nephews are 6 and 4, and my children are 4 and 2. Some of the best presents I have bought them have been from the £ shop - they really do have a fabulous range of fun stocking fillers for kiddies, including great sticker books, colouring books and craft supplies. Plus of course the obligatory selection box ;)

Your OH sounds similar to mine. He is very happy for me the run the finances, so long as he has some nice food in the fridge and a few beers he is a pretty happy chappy!

Let us know how you get on speaking to the water company.
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Jessy - how old are your nephews? My nephews are 6 and 4, and my children are 4 and 2. Some of the best presents I have bought them have been from the £ shop - they really do have a fabulous range of fun stocking fillers for kiddies, including great sticker books, colouring books and craft supplies. Plus of course the obligatory selection box ;)

Your OH sounds similar to mine. He is very happy for me the run the finances, so long as he has some nice food in the fridge and a few beers he is a pretty happy chappy!

Let us know how you get on speaking to the water company.

Hi ATB! They are 8, 5 & 2, usually I get a rough idea what they are into at the moment (It's usually dinosaurs, superheroes and cars!) and pick something for them around that area! I never think about going to £ shop to be honest but from your recommendation and from what my neighbours have said I'm going to! I think the quality in them has got better over the years so will definitely have to have a look!
    Yes they do sound similar! Mine's that chilled out if he got any more laid back he'd be horizontal! :rotfl:
    Well I called Yorkshire Water and was advised that if I got a meter installed I would end up spending more money than what I am now!! I was abit shocked so I hung up and thought I'd try and do some research online to see if this is the case in my area! :huh: I wish you could swap water companies like you would gas and electric!

Jess x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Jessy103
    Just finished ordering my shopping for the next 2 weeks. I thought because I have it delivered at the moment it would be better to get 2 weeks shopping in one go to save on delivery charges. I managed to cut it down to under £100 including toiletries and the delivery charge so I'm pretty chuffed!
    I've done a TT of 62p to my savings so that takes us up to £2291.61. I would love to put it all towards the mortgage but we decided to build up the savings to the equivalent of 6 months wages as an emergency fund.

Have a great day!
    Jess x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Jessy - I too am with Yorkshire Water and that sounds like an odd response. Perhaps you might be better emailing them, asking them to explain the rationale behind their answer over the phone. x

ETA - Before we had kids, we were on a meter and our monthly spend was £18. I know the prices will have risen slightly since then but I would imagine your actual use would still be much lower than your rateable use x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Jessy103
    Jessy - I too am with Yorkshire Water and that sounds like an odd response. Perhaps you might be better emailing them, asking them to explain the rationale behind their answer over the phone. x

ETA - Before we had kids, we were on a meter and our monthly spend was £18. I know the prices will have risen slightly since then but I would imagine your actual use would still be much lower than your rateable use x

It was very strange because I asked her if she was sure and she said she'd checked the system and the average spend for a couple on a meter was about £392 p/a and we're paying about £280 p/a! Yes I think emailing them might be better and hopefully I'll get a different person! Lol! Why does everything have to be so difficult! :mad:
  • Evening, I've just started reading your diary. My DH also has MS and I totally understand what you mean about the unpredictability of this illness, but we do manage. I know that we are lucky, as he is still walking, talking etc but he is getting very tired more often than not these days.

With regards to the changing water suppliers, i kind of do remember hearing something that the government is looking into letting consumers change water suppliers. I think that they are investigating or asked someone (a quango or ofwat) to investigate and report back.

Anyway - i have subscribed.

Good luck with your journey!

SIL
  • Jessy103
    Evening, I've just started reading your diary. My DH also has MS and I totally understand what you mean about the unpredictability of this illness, but we do manage. I know that we are lucky, as he is still walking, talking etc but he is getting very tired more often than not these days.

With regards to the changing water suppliers, i kind of do remember hearing something that the government is looking into letting consumers change water suppliers. I think that they are investigating or asked someone (a quango or ofwat) to investigate and report back.

Anyway - i have subscribed.

Good luck with your journey!

SIL

Hi SIL! Thanks for reading! Sorry to hear about your DH. My mum is the same, she can still walk but only short distances with a stick, she has had the odd scary moment (she went in the bath and wasn't able to get back out for a few hours!) which has made me want to spend as much time with her as I can! Do you have a thread that I can subscribe to? I haven't quite got to grips with how everything works yet so I'm not sure how to search for you!

I have just checked on http://www.ccwater.org.uk/watermetercalculator/ which calculates how much you would spend on a water meter and unfortunately it does say we would spend more on a meter than what we are doing now! I think it would be great if you could switch between suppliers and I'm sure it would make prices more competitive!

Also forgot to put on my post earlier that when I made the overpayment to the mortgage the lady on the other end said 'Can I ask why you're make an overpayment on your mortgage today?'
    Can you believe it!! I replied 'Err because I want to and I like to see my mortgage figure go down'
    I really was tempted to say 'Why do you think ya daft c*w!!' :rotfl:
  • Evening..I don't have a diary. I won't be able to keep up at it.

I do make overpayments every month and sometimes a bit over that too.

I budget like crazy and have so many virtual savings pots and spread sheets it's crazy.

I understand about the walking bit, DH can't walk that far either, so when we do go out, I have to work lots of public transport ways to help & of course taxis, which I know isn't mse but needs must.

I am also very lucky too, that if I need a break, DH is able to go to his parents. I am glad of that it does help me keep sane and rested.

I've kind of banned DH from having baths now. More showers but now we need to start thinking about putting handles near the shower so he use them to get in out of the bath when showering.

Anyhoo, need to eat and then start studying again.

SIL
  • Jessy103
    Evening..I don't have a diary. I won't be able to keep up at it.

I do make overpayments every month and sometimes a bit over that too.

I budget like crazy and have so many virtual savings pots and spread sheets it's crazy.

I understand about the walking bit, DH can't walk that far either, so when we do go out, I have to work lots of public transport ways to help & of course taxis, which I know isn't mse but needs must.

I am also very lucky too, that if I need a break, DH is able to go to his parents. I am glad of that it does help me keep sane and rested.

I've kind of banned DH from having baths now. More showers but now we need to start thinking about putting handles near the shower so he use them to get in out of the bath when showering.

Anyhoo, need to eat and then start studying again.

SIL

Hi SIL. Thats good that you have support from his parents because you have to take care of yourself too! Good luck with your journey and keep me updated! X
  • Hiya - nice to read your diary. Looking t your soa the savings jumps out at me as well. Unless it's for a specific circumstance or your mortgage has a really low interest rate it's unlikely that you're getting a better rate saving than putting it to your mortgage. Maybe have a play around with the mortgage op calculator to see how much difference this will make. Good luck with the ops!
    March 2016 - £178,914.59; July 2017 £146,160.38
    Mortgage end Sept 2043; Target - pay off by March 2022, now Sept 2021
    Target balance July 2018 £112,560
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills