PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues

fuddle
fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
edited 25 November 2011 at 7:26PM in Old style MoneySaving
Having lurked on the 'tougher' threads this past year I have found myself drawn to MSE just to check in. The tougher threads are really the only reason why I come onto Old Style as much as I do.

Unfortunately we have lost the latest instalment and I for one have missed it dearly. Is it possible to miss a thread? :o

I have been in contact with MSE Andrea about starting a new thread and she has given the go-ahead. All she asks for is that the thread doesn't become argumentative. We're to report argumentative posts, as usual and put the people arguing on 'ignore'.

I see this thread as being a great support in these times. I see it as being a resource of how to cope with day to day living when the ends are struggling to meet. A continuing thread of useful ideas, tricks and pick-me-ups when times are tough. A place to discuss how UK/world affairs are going to effect us but more importantly, how we're going to cope or how these things will effect our lives.

I hope you don't mind a relative new comer/lurker starting this thread... just MSE Andrea gave me the permission to do so.

So... the Tougher thread continues... :j

P.S. (I need to work out a way of getting the old thread links on here too. If anyone could help that would be fantastic, i'll begin to try now)

If things get tougher?
It is tough NOW. So how are we coping?
It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?
Its tough, it will get better and guess what its freezing brrrrr!

Comments

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 November 2011 at 5:49PM
    Oooh excellent, the last ones lost me a little as they were so long and involved so I never posted but I'd love to join the new one, thanks for starting it :)

Am a bit confused though, how is this one different from the 'Not mentioning the T word' thread? I don't post on that one, I was just wondering...
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • fuddle
    ragz wrote: »
    Oooh excellent, the last ones lost me a little as they were so long and involved so I never posted but I'd love to join the new one, thanks for starting it :)

Am a bit confused though, how is this one different from the 'Not mentioning the T word' thread? I don't post on that one, I was just wondering...

The way I see the 'not mentioning the 'T' word' thread is that it seems to be more gossip/chat/anything goes kind of a thread. I think the users on that thread would agree that it's much more light hearted on that thread where as here we would stick to OS coping and support with modern day living I guess.

I haven't been posting much at all on the lighter hearted thread and miss the camaraderie of the guys and girls here. I honestly see the tougher threads as a resource and always learn new things here. :)
  • Glad to see this thread. I am sure there will be loads of useful advice to be shared, especially with Christmas on top of the rest of it, so thankyou Fuddle x
    'Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses' - Confucious

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Yaaay well I for one am glad, I havent enjoyed MSE nearly so much lately since the demise of the "tough" lot! We are all different and MSE is like a whole library, all these different threads are like books and we are free to pick what we want :j:j
    I'm sure a LOT of people will be having a tougher than usaul xmas, with one thing and another, and this thread kep many of them afloat in tough times. :T:T
  • fuddle
    mardatha wrote: »
    Yaaay well I for one am glad, I havent enjoyed MSE nearly so much lately since the demise of the "tough" lot! We are all different and MSE is like a whole library, all these different threads are like books and we are free to pick what we want :j:j
    I'm sure a LOT of people will be having a tougher than usaul xmas, with one thing and another, and this thread kep many of them afloat in tough times. :T:T

Yey! I too missed it Mardatha. I agree with your words and said pretty much the same to MSE Andrea. I said that with the demise of the tougher thread we lost a whole genre and so pleased she allowed us to start a new one.

Eeek Christmas. I have a confession. I have been out in the garden this morning and chopped a whole load of different greenery - ivy, a dark green waxy shrub and some laurel (I think!) and stuck it on the mantal along with fairy lights (shuuuush lol) and some pine cones and baubles. It looks lovely and will be on tonight (with the curtains closed to avoid embarrassment) all cosy and happy.

29 days everyone and yes, we are struggling this year. I have avoided asking my children to write a list of what they would like this year because I don't want to be in the position of not being able to buy so they're getting cheap surprises this year plus presents of new socks, pants, hats, gloves etc, things they need so I'm nnot wasting money.

Other people are getting home made pretty much, a couple of Primark scarves have been bought too though. My family understand and hopefully will not be rude about not spending a fortune!
  • It is getting tough isn't it? I'm very fortunate as I earn well, and my two boys do too, so we've always been pretty comfortable. I'm finding my budget just isn't balancing now though - my electricity went off this morning, I usually deposit £40, and it more than does us a month - it's only the 25th, and gone, so up to £50 for the next month, see how that goes. Our grocery budget needs raised, but I cannot afford my share of a raise, so am trying to cut it down again - unfortunately, I guess, we already live very frugally and it's hard to know where to trim.
    I work with people who are disadvantaged in life, and when I'm working with them on budgets its often easy to see ways to trim, but we don't smoke, rarely drink - and this comes out of personal spending - eat meat only part of the week and cook/bake everything from scratch. I really need to get my veggies growing more reliably.
    WCS
  • Thanks fuddle for starting this! I too was a lurker and really missed the tough threads, especially when I could do with support now more than ever, as I'm sure many could.
  • fuddle
    Well I'm pleased to read it's not just me attached to a thread and pining it's death. Rather embarrass-some should I be alone :eek: but I'm not ;)

The budget. I know. I trimmed every thing that is not necessary ages ago. We don't drink or smoke or even go out. We don't indulge in clothes buying or DVD/movie nights. We sound very boring! I suppose we are but we have to be to keep afloat. The TV and Internet is our entertainment along with the library for books. We walk with the children and dog. We make do with a smile on our face even if sometimes it's false and inside we're feeling like woe me.

The only thing I can shave off extra money off is the food budget and that is becoming so much harder now. I can't even cook from scratch anymore, seriously! A good fish pie or shepherds pie costs me more than Aldi chicken dippers, beans and a slice of bread and butter. Our diets are slipping and I'm worried about that. I think for me I have to learn and quick how to cook with veg and pulses for a healthier diet.
  • Hi Fuddle,
    I know loads of folks on here make shepherds pie really cheaply by padding with stuff, but we prefer to eat our meat "meaty" and have other things on other days. I know it seems cheaper to eat dippery sort of stuff, and am not sure how old your kids are, but as they get older you need an awful lot to fill them, and they tend to be hungry half an hour afterwards.

We've gone back to having soup prior to dinner, and sometimes with lunch too, and my grown up boys have puddings too to fill them up. If they're still hungry at suppertime it's more soup.

Well done for keeping that smile - positive thinking is half the battle imo
    Right off to make scones and mince pies
    WCS
  • fuddle
    It is a rut I have gotten into for sure. You have reminded me of a site I found when I first came here last year. It's http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/planners.html from a poster called wheezl. You'll all be more than aware of it I'm sure but just incase I've posted it.

Going to sit down later and see what I could use for us. Padding meals out definately is the way to go if not a starter or pudding. I hadn't thought of that. A small bowl of soup or maderia cake and custard will definately fill us all and feel like a treat, won't cost the earth and will make up for the odd lentil found amongst the mince.

A lot more thought needs to be put in really but one thing is for sure, meat dishes everynight are fast becoming a thing of the past.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure