European destination with little walking?

Comments

• Reykjavik in Iceland is small and easy to get around. There is still plenty to do and the all the nearby attractions are by coach with very little walking.
  • skint_chick
    skint_chick Posts: 872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you liked Munich then what about Berlin? There is so much public transport that you can get about easily with very little walking - there's U bahn stations at all the major points of interest, and lots to do and see. There are lots of day trips you can do too with little walking - Potsdam (and a hop on hop off bus to the palaces), Sachsenhausen if you like that type of history, Leipzig etc.

I enjoyed Lisbon - which sounds like a walking nightmare with the hills - but the trams are very good and I only walked a short distance down a hill after visiting the cathedral. Everywhere else was metro/tram and very reasonably priced.

Cologne was great too, lots to see and great public transport. I would recommend either German cities for the public transport or a river cruise if you have the budget. My mum has mobility issues and can't walk far, and loves river cruises because as someone else said there are so many options when you get there- you're usually in a central area and can just wander around yourself, or take a guided tour. There are some lovely options through Germany and into Austria/Switzerland, or Netherlands and Belgium.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • Gibraltar is only 2 miles or so in total so requires little walking, you can get tours round.

Can see monkeys, lots of history and a lovely place. We went there on a tour from a First Choice Holiday Village resort in Spain but you can also stay there. Think BA fly there.

Also love Venice and Bruges is nice and both little walking.

Saw brown bears in wild in Finland (Arola Bears, you stay on site) but you do need to walk say 500 metres for that and also have a car. Think they are in Croatia too.
  • Thanks to everyone who replied. We are thinking of Cologne and some river cruises this holiday but have had lots of good suggestions which we will take up in the future
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Ljubljana for two or three days. Lots of coach options to take in other locations beyond there.
    Interesting.

Can you expand on this a bit?
    And where did you stay?
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    slinga wrote: »
    Interesting.

Can you expand on this a bit?
    And where did you stay?

Travelled solo. Flew from Luton.

Airport bus to the city €4.10 each way.

Stayed in a hotel called the Allegro on the edge of the old town, under the castle, twenty minutes walk from the bus station. Rate included breakfast.

Did a walking tour and boat trip on day one. Investigated the castle and other places of interest on day two. Chilled sitting in bars overlooking the river.

Paid €13 return for a bus to Lake Bled on day three. Lovely place.

Back to Ljubljana day four and people watched from bars in glorious weather.

On catching the bus home I noticed routes to places as far afield as Stockholm, Marseille, Munich as well as closer destinations such as Zagreb and Padua.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Travelled solo. Flew from Luton.

Airport bus to the city €4.10 each way.

Stayed in a hotel called the Allegro on the edge of the old town, under the castle, twenty minutes walk from the bus station. Rate included breakfast.

Did a walking tour and boat trip on day one. Investigated the castle and other places of interest on day two. Chilled sitting in bars overlooking the river.

Paid €13 return for a bus to Lake Bled on day three. Lovely place.

Back to Ljubljana day four and people watched from bars in glorious weather.

On catching the bus home I noticed routes to places as far afield as Stockholm, Marseille, Munich as well as closer destinations such as Zagreb and Padua.

Just got back last night from 2 great weeks in stunning Croatia.....Split, Brac, and Tucepi. Purposely didn't use up all our Kuna, in order to encourage us to return asap.

Zagreb for a week or so as a base for day trips is looking good for this September. Then where.....let the planning commence.:)
  • Blue264
    Blue264 Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    uniI agree with a lot of what has been recommended here. Croatia and Ljubljana are on my hit list. I remember when Ljubljana was the clubbing capital of Europe before the Yugoslav war and rise of Ibiza.

Personally, I'd add Salzburg to the Munich trip, and get a hotel in the old town, or just across the River Salzach so that you have the views of the old town, such as the Hotel Stein http://www.hotelstein.at/en/images-salzburg-austria.html
  • Cologne was great too, lots to see and great public transport. I would recommend either German cities for the public transport or a river cruise if you have the budget. My mum has mobility issues and can't walk far, and loves river cruises because as someone else said there are so many options when you get there- you're usually in a central area and can just wander around yourself, or take a guided tour. There are some lovely options through Germany and into Austria/Switzerland, or Netherlands and Belgium.

You could do worse than the Rhine Valley in general to be honest (particularly the middle Rhine). Some stunning cities that are never far from the countryside.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • We've just come back from Berlin which is a great city. There is lots to see and the public transport system is excellent - you can get around really easily.
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure