Vodafone Nightmare- 10x my bill

Options
13»

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Yeah cos the mobile companies never ripped people off under Labour :rotfl:

Seriously though, you are right, it's scandalous. Charging about 100x the package rate for going a bit over is a total rip-off. It's like a restaurant charging you £100 for a coffee after your meal, or a pub charging you £300 for a pint.

Obviously all the sanctimonious "you agreed to the charges, you should have checked" crowd would always check the restuarant menu for the price of coffee before ordering, and would always check the bar tariff before ordering a pint in a pub. Rather than stupidly assuming it will be reasonable and not a total rip-off.

Go PAYG, it's far safer. Or at least get a capped contract - not sure if Vodafone do these but others do - but make sure it's properly capped with NO exclusions.

You mean you don't? fancy coming to my friends restaurant for dinner?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    You mean you don't? fancy coming to my friends restaurant for dinner?
    Of course I do. I've been educated by MSE forumites. I always ask the price when a waiter asks me if I want a coffee at the end of a meal. And I'll never order a pint in a pub without checking the bar tariff first. Only a complete idiot would buy something without checking the price first, surely?
  • glentoran99
    Options
    Of course I do. I've been educated by MSE forumites. I always ask the price when a waiter asks me if I want a coffee at the end of a meal. And I'll never order a pint in a pub without checking the bar tariff first. Only a complete idiot would buy something without checking the price first, surely?

You might not ask before you order, but you would certainly know before you drink it

If not fancy going out for a wee rum

http://www.mcepublicrelations.com/news/read/47/the-merchant-hotel-serves-up-worlds-oldest-rum-cocktail

its nowhere near the same thing anyway, You don't sign a contract without knowing what you are agreeing to, that's just asking for problems, and then trying to blame them for not telling you, when they have, is just adding to the issue
  • zagfles
    Options
    You might not ask before you order, but you would certainly know before you drink it

If not fancy going out for a wee rum

http://www.mcepublicrelations.com/news/read/47/the-merchant-hotel-serves-up-worlds-oldest-rum-cocktail
    Oh, so if you just walk in off the street and ask for a "rum and coke" they'll serve that one up will they? They've obviously learnt from mobile companies.
    its nowhere near the same thing anyway, You don't sign a contract without knowing what you are agreeing to, that's just asking for problems, and then trying to blame them for not telling you, when they have, is just adding to the issue
    Yeah obviously you memorise their entire tariff list before signing up to any contract, or if your memory's not that good take a copy with you and check it before making any calls. Don't make any assumption of reasonableness in the price.

And obviously when installing or updating any software on your PC you'll always read the licence agreement. After all you could end up becoming Bill Gates' towel boy :rotfl:

http://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=Towel+Boy
  • glentoran99
    edited 13 October 2016 at 10:41AM
    Options
    Oh, so if you just walk in off the street and ask for a "rum and coke" they'll serve that one up will they? They've obviously learnt from mobile companies. Yeah obviously you memorise their entire tariff list before signing up to any contract, or if your memory's not that good take a copy with you and check it before making any calls. Don't make any assumption of reasonableness in the price.

And obviously when installing or updating any software on your PC you'll always read the licence agreement. After all you could end up becoming Bill Gates' towel boy :rotfl:

http://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=Towel+Boy

they will certainly ask you which rum, varying in price (the normal ones) from £3.90 - £8.00, I would certainly be aware that I would be charged going over my allowance, So would make sure I knew before spending two hours on the phone being charged.

and yet again your comparing apples and pears, the OP signed a credit agreement with Vodafone, and allowed then to set up a direct debit this isn't the same as clicking the terms and conditions on a software update

If im going to allow someone to take money from my bank account I sure as hell am going to know the cost or at the very least pay attention to the bill so if I don't agree they wont be taking the money without a query.

in your coffee and dinner examples if you were overcharged you would query the bill before you paid, you wouldn't pay then complain on an online forum blaming them
  • zagfles
    Options
    they will certainly ask you which rum, varying in price (the normal ones) from £3.90 - £8.00, I would certainly be aware that I would be charged going over my allowance, So would make sure I knew before spending two hours on the phone being charged.

and yet again your comparing apples and pears, the OP signed a credit agreement with Vodafone, and allowed then to set up a direct debit this isn't the same as clicking the terms and conditions on a software update

If im going to allow someone to take money from my bank account I sure as hell am going to know the cost or at the very least pay attention to the bill so if I don't agree they wont be taking the money without a query.

in your coffee and dinner examples if you were overcharged you would query the bill before you paid, you wouldn't pay then complain on an online forum blaming them
    Oh so it's because the money was already taken is it? So if he'd got the bill but not yet paid he'd have a valid complaint would he :rotfl:
  • glentoran99
    Options
    Oh so it's because the money was already taken is it? So if he'd got the bill but not yet paid he'd have a valid complaint would he :rotfl:

I never said it would be valid, but he wouldn't have had the additional bank charges to deal with then would he?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I regularly check my Vodafone app and would never knowingly go over my minutes
    But you obviously don't, or you'd have noticed yourself getting precariously close to your allowance of 1000 minutes. Also, Vodafone send you SMS alerts if you are getting near to your data limit (I'm with them too).

Look, mobile phone bills aren't a new thing. If you hadn't checked the prices of calls over your allowance, then you probably shouldn't be signing up to a contract.

You're going to need to get some monitoring apps installed to save yourself. It's a tough and expensive less to learn, and vodafone might be nice and refund you, but it's grown-up responsibility owning a phone on a contract.
  • Gambler101
    Options
    OP with respect stick to payphones mate.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure