Holiday Ideas for Single Dad+son

It’s not long to the school summer holidays!

As a single father to an almost 6 year old boy…I would like to take him away somewhere even for just 2-3 nights min break.

I would like some ideas of places to stay preferably no more than 2 hours drive from Newcastle. Somewhere that has facilities for kids with play areas and many places to eat.

I will welcome any suggestions for short overseas breaks to places such as Euro-Disney, which I would love to do later in the year or next year when he is bigger.

Don’t think I am up to the challenge of going alone with my son abroad yet.

Comments

• angel
    angel Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    A short break at Disneyland Paris would be perfect. Six is a great age for a trip there and you'd both enjoy it equally.

Have fun whatever you decide!
    :smileyhea "here, hare, here" :smileyhea
  • susieb1967
    susieb1967 Posts: 214 Forumite
    Go camping!! Even if you drive 10 mins down the road, he wont care!! He'd love it!! definately a good one for lads and dads! Ask your friends and relations for a lend of the gear, B4 we started buying things for camping, I borrowed it all- its amazing what people have stashed in their lofts/garages!
    Search the internet for sites and reviews. UKcampsites.co.uk is a gd site
  • john.xs
    john.xs Posts: 494 Forumite
    buy a quechua 3 sec air tent which you can put up real quick and take him camping for weekend you can buy one from decathlon for about £60.would imagine you could get to scarborough/yorks/lakes/blackpool/ayr/galloway in 2hrs
    if he likes amusement parks book a campsite in the vicinity.uk tent and camping site is great to peruse campsites.

alternatively there is alton towers hotel . not sure if it is too far/ pricey
    if you stay there they have splash landings on site and also theme park itself. you would not be too far from cadbury world

what about beamish?
  • curtlyb
    curtlyb Posts: 676
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Camping with days out to Beamish & Diggerland (brill)
  • dianadors
    dianadors Posts: 801
    First Post
    Forumite
    I agree with the Camping theory. He will love it. I you camp in North Yorkshire (loads of great sites on www.ukcampsites.co.uk ) you could visit tThe Forbidden corner - its like being on the set of Harry Potter!! http://www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/theforbiddencorner/ Kids absolutely love it. And its not far for you to travel either. You could look for a site with a good kids play area too.
  • bargain-lil
    bargain-lil Posts: 90 Forumite
    The family active camps that PGL run are fantastic - there are a few sites in the Uk that I guess would be no longer than a couple of hours drive for you. All food is included and there are no supplements for single parents to pay. Activities include abseiling, zip wire, climbing, archery etc in a very safe environment. We went to the one in Paris at Easter and in the price was also a days ticket for eurodisney which was about 20 mins drive away - the accomodation is fairly basic but clean and warm & probably more comfortable than a tent!;)

hth

lil
    x
  • angie_baby
    angie_baby Posts: 1,640
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    atpug wrote: »
    It’s not long to the school summer holidays!

As a single father to an almost 6 year old boy…I would like to take him away somewhere even for just 2-3 nights min break.

I would like some ideas of places to stay preferably no more than 2 hours drive from Newcastle. Somewhere that has facilities for kids with play areas and many places to eat.

I will welcome any suggestions for short overseas breaks to places such as Euro-Disney, which I would love to do later in the year or next year when he is bigger.

Don’t think I am up to the challenge of going alone with my son abroad yet.

I thought that to at the beginning of the year, but went to Spain just me and my boy (5). It was excellent, ok the evenings were a bit quiet once he was in bed but it was lovley to spend so much time with him. And we chatted to loads of people, Joe learnt a bit of spanish, was even speaking to the local police. Its amazing when there is just two of you, people start talking to you.

Camping is also a great idea, we are going in August - as long as it doesnt chuck it down for a week.

Whatever you do have fun!!
  • BernadetteN
    BernadetteN Posts: 845 Forumite
    Take the ferry to Amsterdam and go to Duinrell, about an hour's drive from the ferry port. This place is a campsite, amusement park and water park all in one. Or if it's cheaper to go as a foot passenger on the ferry, leave the car at home. Public transport in Holland means the car is just not necessary for most places. You can even camp at Duinrell, but otherwise a 4 person "duingalow" would probably work out cheaper than mobiles on this site from the likes of Eurocamp. Once your son reaches 1.4 metres, he can go on all the scary slides inside the waterpark.

www.duinrell.nl
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,020
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the ideas.
    Camping certainly does sound like fun, but not practical for us, as my son has some health conditions so thus prefer hotels/B&Bs until he is older.

Beamish - too close to us, that’s only 30mins drive from us now. Seek something around 1.5hrs drive+.

Preferably a place located in nice tranquil beauty scenery…..

thanks
  • BernadetteN
    BernadetteN Posts: 845 Forumite
    curtlyb wrote: »
    Camping with days out to Beamish & Diggerland (brill)

Or there's always Durham Youth Hostel (aka St Chad's college of Durham University) which is very near to Beamish and Diggerland. They have 2 person rooms there too.
    http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/northumberland-north-pennines/hostels/durham-city/activities.aspx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure