New Mums - stay at home or back to work?

Comments

• debbie_debt
    debbie_debt Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi there,

As everyone's pretty much said - this is a personal decision and even the research is out on weather or not kids do better full-time at home with Mum.

My personal experiences are that I have a 14 yr old son and I went back to work part time when he was 6 weeks old, simply because I had no choice.

I am now pregnant again (eeek!) and we're in a much better situation financially. This means that I'm planning on taking a full year off after this one and then trying for another baby shortly after, so I'll be home for around 2 years, possibly with a short return to work in the middle. After that, I'll decide if/when I might go back. I have to say, work keeps me sane, so I might be heading back for at least 2 days a week!

Good luck with your decision.

Debbie
    HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022
  • FlashBarry
    FlashBarry Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks for sharing all your home vs. work decisions.

Our current thinking is that OH will be staying at home for at least a few years as long as the finances balance out. We still have some time to discuss the options so if anyone else would like to share their experiences here, please do so. :o
    November 2016: Mortgage = £185,000
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    I returned to work full time when my DS was 11 weeks old for financial reasons.

He was looked after by a child minder.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • I had 9 months of maternity leave as couldn't afford to be off the last 3 months of it without any money.

I returned to work part time (3 days a week) 5 weeks ago and work in a school. So not too bad really in terms of the time I get to spend with her. She was 8 mths old when I returned to work and goes to nursery.

We couldn't afford for me not to work and I also wanted to return to my career. It's nice having another focus and adult conversation.

We get some money from the govt based on last years earnings as I was on maternity leave and OH was on minimum wage. I'm pretty sure that will stop next April as thankfully OH started a better paid job 4 weeks ago.

I dreaded going back to work and my little girl going to nursery the closer the time came etc, but 5 weeks in and it's going well. I agree that Mon - Wed when I work things are very hetic and I'm usually shattered by 9pm and sometimes in bed at that time. Thurs - Sun is completely different, much more relaxed and more time to get things done as have more energy. For me and us we've got the balance right at the moment though.

I'm off soon to go swimming with my little girl, these kinds of things I just didn't want to miss doing with her.
    Mummy to two girls: October 2013 and February 2016
  • mogwai
    mogwai Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a 1 yr old, and we're trying for our second so won't be going back to work for some time. I decided long before I had kids I would take extended leave from work, and return when our last child (no. 3!) goes to nursery. So I have a few years yet.

We're lucky in that we can afford for me to stay home but I do find that it can be quite full on in that you don't get a break. My sister works a few hrs a day and finds the break away from baby does her good. But not everyone will feel like this and you have to see how it goes to some extent
    We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic. ;)

Debt at LBM (Sep 07): £13,500. Current debt: [STRIKE]£680[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£480[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£560[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£13[/STRIKE] £0 overdraft :D
    Current aims - to start building up savings
    1st £1000 in 100 days - £1178.03 :D 2nd £1053.38/£1000 :D 3rd £863.59/£1000 :o
    :j
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Hi
    I returned to work fulltime after both of mine.
    I couldn't afford to be a stay at home mum but to be honest I didn't really want to be !
    As much as I love my children I enjoyed having some independance from them and I felt they benefited from having time away from me with other children.
    Ideally I would have liked to have been parttime but that wasn't possible.
    Jen
  • Hi,

My children are now 10 and 6. I am the higher earner of the two of us so we decided that I would return part time to keep things ticking over etc. I didn't want to have to retrain and start at the bottom of the payscale.
    My first child went to day nursery from 10 months until 3 (when he started the nursery at the primary school where he still is now). He became a very confident child and is doing very well at school. I worked 2.5 days a week then (used to be full time up until maternity). My second child arrived when my son was about to start reception class so it was good timing (childcare fees). We decided to get a local childminder to help as we have no available family to assist at all (grandparents down to 50% and old now). I increased hours up to 3 days once I returned to work when my daughter was 11 months. Both children are in FT school now but we still use the same childminder (who is very flexible and doesn't charge us if DH is off work etc) for after school and school hols. DH works shifts so we often only need a few hours childcare on the days I am working in the school hols.
    I don't regret staying in my career. Looking back, I am glad I did. I am now in a position to work full time but I have decided to change my hours soon (to 2 long days) and do a post-16 PGCE part time. I want to teach my vocational subject (health related). It will allow me to have more time off in the school hols...hopefully.
    It depends what your wife does. If it isn't worth her working then I would stay at home.
    Interest rate 1.25%, offset mortgage Woolwich
  • PS. It makes a HUGE difference if you have a good family support network. We don't.
    Interest rate 1.25%, offset mortgage Woolwich
  • Metranil_Vavin
    Metranil_Vavin Posts: 5,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I have just gone back to work after 11 months maternity leave with my second child, she will be 11 months in a couple of weeks. I also have 3.5 year old son.

When my son was born I was due back to my then job full time (more or less). They offered me some minimal flexible working, but when we looked at the distance I was commuting (S.London to Windsor) each day, and how much full time childcare was going to cost, and the stress of my old job (lots of European travel), it just didn't stack up, so I bit the bullet and resigned.

I then managed to find a part time role (3 days a week) at a similar company, so jumped at it.

With one child in childcare 3 days a week was tight, but my salary meant we could get a newer car and afford a few treats. This time however our childcare bill is now nigh on £1100 a month for 3 days a week :( Which is horrific.

I have just today had a conversation with OH about how much money I am actually bringing in after childcare has been taken into account, and it's something like £200 a month! Not a huge amount for the commute I have to do (now S.London to Guildford).

We have no family support..people who do are SO SO SO lucky. It's tough when you have no inlaws nearby to help out. My parents are old and in poor health, and OH's parents, whilst elderly too (early 70's), are in good health, but live over 3 hours away. They help when they can, but it's sporadic, and actually I don't think grandparents should have to feel they owe help. Different if they want to, but I get the impression from people I've known that there is a lot of expectation on grandparents to automatically help out.

I also know myself and I really don't think I could cope with being a full time SAHM. I like working and so I feel I have a good balance of working and spending the remaining 2 days of the week with them at home.

So for me it's not just about the financial monetary gain, it's also about keeping my mental health in tact! ;)**

** I do totally love my kids..they are wonderful, but I also like using my brain and having some non-mummy related company during the day too!
    Metranil dreams of becoming a neon,
    You don't even take him seriously,
    How am I going to get to heaven?,
    When I'm just balanced so precariously..
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've seen people do both, and from what I've seen, unless you're willing to give up any hope of having a decent career after a 5-to-10 year gap out of the workplace or you have a wealthy spouse who is willing and capable of supporting you well into retirement, giving up your job is a really bad idea.

Even if your wage only covers your childcare, it's worth doing a) for your own sanity and b) to be financially secure in the future. I hate to sound all doom and gloom but I've seen so many SAHMs struggling emotionally and financially both while the kids are young and after they've flown the nest as a result of not keeping their careers going.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure