Is it expensive to repair a collapsed drain?

I'm not sure if I'm on the correct thread as I'm a new member and struggling to understand the message board, but I would appreciate a bit of help.

My parents having died recently, I'm trying to sell their house. It's a large 3 bedroomed semi in one of the more desirable roads in the area and has a 180ft garden at the back. It was built in 1926 and for at least 10 years before their death, they were unable to look after it, but refused to move. This means that it is somewhat neglected and a potential buyer backed out because the drain at the back of the house by the left hand corner has collapsed.

I realise that it's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string" but is the drain repair likely to be expensive to fix and if so, what do I have to do? Can I sell the house without having it repaired if I make it clear to potential buyers that there is a problem? Is is worth my while having it repaired?

Comments

• myrnahaz
    myrnahaz Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    If it's only a partial collapse then I think you're looking at 'low hundreds' of pounds, rather than thousands, and it's likely that a competent builder could do it. It would be cheaper to do this than to risk losing other sales.
  • jemw
    jemw Posts: 280 Forumite
    Have a look at www.Homeserve.com - i think they have a special offer at the moment for jobs booked online? i think they offer a free quote service too?

Hope that helps
  • jemw
    just another thought - is there any buildings insurance at the property? would the insurance cover the repairwork?
  • jemw
    AHHHH - Forget both of my posts! The property was built in 1926, which means presumably the drains are pre 1937 and therefore covered under Section 26 - speak to your local water / sewerage company

Hope that helps?
    Jen
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Hi Champagne-Swan, welcome to the forums :hello:

I've moved this thread over to the 'In My Home (includes DIY)' Board :)

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • adaze
    adaze Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm guessing the buyer has backed out because of the possible implications of a collapsed drain. If the drain was actually supporting any of the house of was close to the foundations, they could be damaged, and even cause subsidence I beleive. Although I'm sure you would have noticed if any cracks etc appeared. If its a simple replacement of a section of pipe then its relatively simple to excavate and replace, maybe a days works if the ground is easy, so a few hundred pounds....
  • When I was going through the process of buying my house it transpired on the survey that there was a broken drain. I was on good terms with the vendor and she actually put in an insurance claim and I just paid her excess, and it was all done.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    My neighbour had a collapsed drain recently. I believe it was rerouted and replaced under an insurance claim. Certainly worth enquiring, I would have thought. I have no idea what it cost, but a large proportion of drain repairs is the cost of excavation.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • desthemoaner
    desthemoaner Posts: 324 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 June 2011 at 9:17PM
    Almost three years since the last post on this thread, but I thought this info might be useful for anyone trawling for info about drains. On Sarah Beeny's new show on Channel 4--"Help, my house is Falling Down"-- they featured a house with collapsed drains, and the saturated ground was causing the gable end to subside.
    The guys who replaced the drains used a technique where a flattened resin pipe is inserted into the old drain, then an inflatable gizmo is sent in after it. Air is pumped into the inflatable gizmo, inflating the original resin pipe until its hugging the internal profile of the old pipe, at which point it begins to harden. The inflatable bit is then withdrawn, leaving a brand new pipe inside the old one.
    Not a cheap technique, but it seems to me a very simple and impressive one, with the huge bonus of a minimum amount of excavation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure