NUS McDonalds Discount

mellyloo
mellyloo Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 10 October 2013 at 4:26PM in Student MoneySaving
So, I was studying hard and felt a bit peckish so I tried using my shiny new NUS card today for the McDonalds discount that they list on the NUS website and app that you can have a free medium fries with purchasing a big mac or mcchicken sandwich.

I was told they you can only have this deal when buying at least a medium meal so I couldn't have it. It doesn't say this anywhere on the NUS website at all in the terms and conditions so I'm a bit confused. Also confused as to why a lone student would want to buy a medium meal and an additional Big Mac that would come with a free medium fries. I mean, I can get hungry, but I don't think I could manage all that! When I questioned them about it and showed them the NUS deal on my phone app, they just repeated that I could only have it if I bought a medium meal (this from the manager too).

The other confusing thing is that on the McDonalds website - they actually list a totally different student deal which seems to make more sense with the buying a medum meal thing - which gives you a free cheeseburger, hamburger or mcflurry WHEN purchasing a meal.

!!!!!!? confused NUS - sort it out!

Anyway, anyone else had this problem? I'm waiting for a reply from NUS so will post here when I get one. I just want my Big Mac and free fries!!!

Comments

• atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    A lot of stores seems to refuse the free fries discount, only giving the meal discount instead.

Don't know why. Maybe it's at the franchises discretion which discount they'll apply.
  • I've never heard of this free fries thing, I've only ever got the free stuff with a meal discount from McDonalds, but I've got medium fries before with it

So yes, that means I've got 2 lots of fries but my sister only eats fries there so it works out alright :) worth noting that the McFlurries are only the basic ones - not the special ones that they change all the time

And come to think of it, I don't have an NUS card, it works with just a normal student card for me
    Broke Student :beer:
  • Racheya
    Racheya Posts: 103 Forumite
    I've done this a million times and the ONLY discount they seem to do is a free Fries/Hamburger/Basic McFlurry with a medium meal. I had one case where they demanded a large meal, but that's only happened 1 in 100 times.
  • The_Jakal
    The_Jakal Posts: 134
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have the answer to your problems... The reason why there is this confusion is because of the difference between the standard NUS Card and the NUS extra card.

With the NUS card you get a freebie with a medium meal.

With the EXTRA card you get the free fries with the Big Mac...

The reason why you can't find the standard NUS discount is because amazingly the NUS site don't list it. I'd search "student discount directory" and you should come up with some better resources.

Hope that clears it all up.
  • Never heard of free fries either but I use my normal student ID (not NUS, 100% of places I've asked take normal ID instead!) and get the others you state free with an EVM.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Mcds are franchises. Each restaurant can set its own offers. They dont have to take part in national schemes. Thats why t&c state you have to check, before ordering
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    flea72 wrote: »
    Mcds are franchises. Each restaurant can set its own offers. They dont have to take part in national schemes. Thats why t&c state you have to check, before ordering
    The UK is unusual in that 50% of stores are not franchised and are owned by McDonalds. It used to be 70%.
  • vassa
    vassa Posts: 288 Forumite
    Why on earth would you pay to eat that? It's like paying to be poisoned!
  • All last year I had this issue. I could only have the free item if I was purchasing a medium meal, so only really wanted it if my son was with me tbh, as he tends to eat his meal plus my freebie. The franchises wouldn't take it at all. I failed to have a discount at any Pizza Hut at all, all year. On the flip side, I went to Shoe Zone, and found that we still get discount there, even on sale items, which made me smile instead of frown :)

A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work
  • vassa
    vassa Posts: 288 Forumite
    skintsocks wrote: »
    All last year I had this issue. I could only have the free item if I was purchasing a medium meal, so only really wanted it if my son was with me tbh, as he tends to eat his meal plus my freebie. The franchises wouldn't take it at all. I failed to have a discount at any Pizza Hut at all, all year. On the flip side, I went to Shoe Zone, and found that we still get discount there, even on sale items, which made me smile instead of frown :)
    Look up what Maccy D's put in their food. You'll never let your kid eat it again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure