Single man / married man income tax

Is there any difference between the two?

I been paying tax since I started work some 15 years ago, but have been living with common law wife and 3 kids for some 3 years, do I pay less tax? I read somewhere tax is reduced if you are married?

Comments

• Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    You used to get an addtional tax allowance if you were married but this was phased out about 5 years ago. I think you only get the married couples allowance now if one of you was born before 1935.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • WHA
    WHA Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    And you would have to be legally married to have qualified for the married couples allowance - "common law" has no status in taxation matters.

Instead of married couples allowances, of course, you can now claim child tax credit etc., which is worth a lot more than the married couples allowances ever was.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    WHA wrote:
    Instead of married couples allowances, of course, you can now claim child tax credit etc., which is worth a lot more than the married couples allowances ever was.

Not doubting you, but is this true for all married couples? I seem to think we were worse off when CTC came in - we get approx £545/year. Or is it the "etc" bit you refer to above that "makes it worth a lot more"?

Am I wrong?

YB
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

In can be better for some and worse for others.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    I thought that when the married couples allowance was in place, ALL married couples were eligible for it through either the husband's or the wife's tax code regardless of whether they had children or not.

Obviously you can only get child tax credit if you have children and elements of child tax credit and working tax credit are means tested so not everyone is better off.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • WHA wrote:
    And you would have to be legally married to have qualified for the married couples allowance - "common law" has no status in taxation matters.

FYI, looking back at the history of this.

in 1994/95 the MCA was worth about £500 in today's figures for a standard rate tax payer on average earnings.
    inbetween times Tory and labour governments cut it's value until
    in 1999/2000 in it's last year it was worth about £225 ......................

So basically, it's back to 1995 levels, except childless couples don't get any payment.
    Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure