MCO Capital loan

Comments

• Hi,
    I also got a nice letter from MCO yesterday, two weeks after noticing a search on my credit rating. I exchanged emails with some guy in Finland (RTF Finance) and basically threatened him and MCO with all sort of probably pointless legal action if they even dared to try to extract money but the invoice turned up anyway. I've kept a paper trail pf my (limited) correspondence with them so if it goes further I have proof and am so glad that others have also been contacted. I thought it was just me and frankly I began to panic. I had already had some fraud on a credit card so assumed this was related....perhaps it was or could just have been bad luck. Action Fraud said it was widespread though. I've lodged a password with Experian and have registered with CIFAS so that should help. I don't know if it's MCO who are the villains here or just some determined scammers but I was more worried about the debt collectors, Gothia turning up on my door! Fortunately no money has been taken and no money shall be sent!
  • Not sure if I am posting on the correct thread as there are two running. I had an alert from credit expert regarding MCO capital.I have contacted credit expert who are looking into it for me but I'm wondering if I should do anything else. I rung Action Fraud but it wasn't very helpful!! Although they are fully aware of this company they cannot do anything as no money has been taken from me. I also had my credit card details stolen (fortunately card was stopped b4 they could spend any money on it) recently.Don't think the two are connected but makes me a little worried.
  • I have received a letter today so this company is still actively sending out their letters. Action Fraud line gives helpful advice to register your ident fraud, check your credit rating has not been affected and register with CIFAS - all helpful I'm sure. Hopefully they will be shut down to and these don't go out to the vunerable.
  • I have recently received an Invoice from MCO CAPITAL Ltd, telling me that I owe them £513.00 (£300 for loan and £213 for fees/costs). I have never had a loan taken out with them. They seem to have messed up by calling me 'Mrs', when I'm 'Miss! Can anyone help me on what I should do, Have phoned and left an voicemail, tried to call them again about half an hour ago and got something weird that apparently its not available to talk to anyone! How convenient of them!!! Im single parent with two children and no way can pay this or have someone using my name for identity fraud!!! ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. :mad::eek:
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    CherryLou wrote: »
    I have recently received an Invoice from MCO CAPITAL Ltd, telling me that I owe them £513.00 (£300 for loan and £213 for fees/costs). I have never had a loan taken out with them. They seem to have messed up by calling me 'Mrs', when I'm 'Miss! Can anyone help me on what I should do, Have phoned and left an voicemail, tried to call them again about half an hour ago and got something weird that apparently its not available to talk to anyone! How convenient of them!!! Im single parent with two children and no way can pay this or have someone using my name for identity fraud!!! ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. :mad::eek:

Er why have you not even bothered to read the thread. It is all mentioned in the first couple of posts, what to do.
  • I too have received a letter dated 21st August 2010 but received in today's post. The letter was post marked Harlow. Again requesting payment of £513.00. If MCO are now aware of this scam its strange letters are still going out.
    Very relieved to see it is a scam and I am not the only person to receive these letters. Thank goodness for Forum's like these.
    I have reported it to the Police and have e-mailed MCO today who have confirmed receipt, and will refer the matter to their Customer Services dept!
    No money has been taken from my bank account.
    I have also been the subject of ID fraud on my credit card several months ago, this does seem to a common thread with other victims of this scam.
  • Hi

I too received a letter today from Helploan about a loan for £418, so a different amount to everyone else.

I got through to them this afternoon telling them I hadnt dealt with them or received any money from them, and they said it was identity theft and to give them a crime/log number from my local police station which i have done. They said they would advise MCO Capital that it is identity theft and they will look into it further. I am also sending them a recorded delivery letter confirming all these details and asking them to confirm they have closed the account.

Thanks

Sue
  • Hi ..

I too am distressed and upset after receiving a letter this morning from a company called HELPLOAN. The address on the back of the envelope is a PO Box 7182 in Harlow. The letter is dated London, 20 August 2010 and says I have to pay £513 before 17 September 2010.

There is a number on this letter which I rang. When I said I had not taken out any loans or even heard of this company, the person at the other end (it sounded to me like a call centre) said it was fraud. He quoted the date of birth, last 4 digits of phone number, last 3 digits of bank account and email address all used to obtain this loan - all are incorrect. The only details that are correct about this is my name and address. My marital status was also wrong.

I was told to go to the Police and get an incident number and ring them back with this incident number. I went to the main Police Station in Barnsley, who called this company saying that they could not give me an incident number as doing so would mean I have accepted liability for this debt - the fraud has been carried out against Helploan and not against me so it is Helploan's responsibility to report the fraud. Incidentally, I was the 2nd person to call into my local police station with one of these letters within that hour. I also spoke to an Inspector who said I had to write a letter to this company asking to see copies of the loan application/signature used to take out the loan in my name.

I have been upset all day regarding this, it has made me ill but am pleased that others are in a similar situation as me and I am not the only person to fall victim. Unlike others on this forum, I have not been victim of credit card fraud before and am not listed in the telephone book. We shread all our personal details and am extremely careful - I don't even use my name in email addresses or on forums - as you can see! Can't see how this has happened and hope that it will be the end of it when I don't pay by 17 September. It has made me feel a little bit better to know that it appears to be a scam but I'm still worried that bailiffs are going to turn up at my door as apparently this amount they are quoting doubles every month.

I will update my situation once I have sent off the letter that the Inspector at South Yorkshire Police told me to send. Hope that will be the end of it.
  • Same here. I received a letter from Gothia over a month ago, demanding £513. Phoned police and got an incident number (they will only give you a crime number if you are the victim of a crime and according to the police, MCO Capital are the victims). Experian dealt with it for me and had it removed from my credit record. However today, I received a letter from Helploan dated 23 July!!!!!!!!! asking for the cash again. I got through by phone first time and the guy I spoke to was pretty pleasant (unlike Gothia). Gave him police incident number (again) then phoned Action Fraud, only to discover that they have had "tonnes of similar calls". They told me to keep doing what I am doing and under no circumstances to give out any additional info...especially bank details.

Incidentally, Gothia gave me the bank account details that the £300 went into and I looked it up....it is a Lloyds a/c opened in Birmingham!!!!!!!!

I know this is stressful, but hopefully this will all get sorted soon. I am so relieved to see i'm not the only one!
  • Oh and Gothia also quoted my correct date of birth so whoever is scamming seems to have that info as well as my correct name and address. The police said that it is pretty easy to get someone's date of birth. Scary!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure