Cheap calls though 18185 - experiences please?

Options
Ypaymore
Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
Just been testing them out and you get announcement saying they no longer offer calls to 03 numbers. This is now confirmed on there site.

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting. It was 3 pence a minute for a while.

There is apparently an Ofcom consultative process going on about termination fees on 03 numbers. It wants to eliminate revenue sharing, and there have been some disputes ...

Somehow I think the world has been here before with numbers starting in 08, and this may just be another go around the same circle

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/03-modification/summary/03-modification.pdf
  • Ypaymore
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    Somehow I think the world has been here before with numbers starting in 08, and this may just be another go around the same circle

Absolutely :D
  • RatAtAt
    RatAtAt Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    So what is the cheapest option for ringing 03 numbers now that 18185 etc have gone sulky?
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Any VOIP provider is usually cheaper then PSTN. However, as these 'National Rate' calls are inclusive to any bundle they are often free.
  • SpanishBlue
    Options
    18185's website says 030 numbers are not supported.

However I suspect all 03 numbers are not supported as I just dialled e-on (0333...) and got the message saying 18185 doesn't support this number.
  • Ypaymore
    Options
    18185's website says 030 numbers are not supported.

However I suspect all 03 numbers are not supported as I just dialled e-on (0333...) and got the message saying 18185 doesn't support this number.

Thats why my original post said they no longer offer calls to 03 numbers.;)
  • Ypaymore
    edited 31 August 2014 at 5:23AM
    Options
    RatAtAt wrote: »
    So what is the cheapest option for ringing 03 numbers now that 18185 etc have gone sulky?

I am assuming you dont have inclusive minutes to 01/02/03 numbers where of course they would be included.

You can look at the MSE callchecker for cheap suppliers http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/ukcallchecker/landline/daytime/bt/easy
    ignoring the the entries for 18185 etc that have not been updated.

If you have/get a 3 payg sim you can call them for 3p a minute.

Or you could look on saynoto0870 and see if you can find a 01/02 or Freephone Number.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    According to the Ofcom consultation already referenced in this thread, http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/03-modification/summary/03-modification.pdf
    the termination rate(s) for 03 numbers are high enough, weirdly, for some owners of an 03 number to offer payments (in kind) to callers. So it easy to see why Finarea won't let you call 03 for an unlimited time for 5p. You'd be printing money at Finarea's expense.
  • adsbenham
    Options
    I'm still puzzling over why the termination rates for 03 numbers were set to be the same as for 0870 numbers. This is presumably what has enabled some 03 number owners to offer the payments to callers.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't have inclusive 03 calls from your landline, you can use Telesave to call at 1p/min weekends and evenings and 1.5p/min weekday daytimes (8am-6pm). You can call via 0800 0662266. They charge higher for 0845 but not 03.

Only disadvantage is you need to top up £10 first. I've used them for years from a cable line, still works well. There is a 4p min charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure