MSE News: Royal Mail to start leaving post with neighbours

Comments

• visadeath
    visadeath Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2012 at 12:09AM
    I can see RM's idea to reduce costs , of having the parcels returned to the sorting office, but I do wonder how many new claims will be made over "missing" items, so this method could cost them even more, but I also guess its a way for RM to sell more Special Deliverys over the standard service.

Also if the delivery isn't finished until the item has arrived at the receivers address, will RM pick up items for orders that are cancelled and would be refused by the receiver and return to sender?

I was also wondering if everything went wrong who would be responsible for the final delivery part, if a card was left saying RM left your item at neighbour x's house, will your neighbour bring it to you when they know your in, if you try to go get it and they are out how many times do you make a walk over to knock your on your neighbours door before you give up, what happens if the parcel ends up just sitting there, as RM is still responsiable for the item do they have to come back, collect from the neighbour and try to deliver to you again?

I like the current method, if your out and get a card, you know that your item will be safe at a delivery office, the opening times are set and whilst it may be more work to get the item I can plan that into my day.
    Power is good, but then you get the bill....
  • JWIOW
    JWIOW Posts: 93 Forumite
    Had a postie knock on my door on Tuesday, seeing the parcel van outside I automatically assumed it'd be a parcel for me...
    First question he came out with was...
    "How well do you know Mrs **** next door?"
    I couldn't help but think that was a little personal but anyways, after we established that he wanted me to keep hold of a package for her I did, assuming she would be round to collect the parcel from me that evening.
    She didn't collect the parcel that evening which was a little odd as I heard them come home from work.
    Anyways, I waited til the next day and they didn't come to collect it so I went over to their house and told them that I had the parcel here for them, and the postie hadn't left them a note?!

I sincerely hope that they are still having to leave a note to tell us that the neighbour has it?!?!
    Thought this was awful...
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,046
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    And a bloody sticker is not an option. Anyone can take that sticker off and you have to wait for another one to be sent.

Mine's on the inside of the door, as my window first appears just above the letterbox.

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • I had thought that the requirement to deliver to the address on the package was actually enshrined in legislation. Does this 'initiative' mean that Royal Mail can deny any liability for any packages safely delivered to a neighbour, but never received by the addressed recipient?

Does it also mean I can now put a sticker on my door telling Royal Mail to deliver my un-addressed junk mail to my neighbour?
  • OFCOM started their consultation on this scheme less than 3 months ago. The consultation ended less than 3 weeks ago. We are now given just 3 days to opt out with a sticker - that takes 4 days to deliver.
  • I have registered on-line to op out via sticker. Here are the reasons I gave for opting-out when completing that form...

This service is being imposed without proper consideration by OFCOM. The consultation process started less than 3 months ago and ended less than 3 weeks ago. We are given less than 3 postal delivery days to opt out by way of a sticker; a sticker that takes more than 3 days to deliver.

The fact that this opt out form is for opting out of a 'trial' is just further evidence that this scheme has been introduced without proper consideration.

I suggest that if opting out of neighbour delivery is by a door sticker only, Royal Mail should also respect other door stickers and NOT deliver un-addressed junk mail.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If only things are so easily enforced just by sticking a sign up.

"Beware of the Dog"

"No Canvassers"

"Do not block the drive"

"No Junk mail"

"Stay off the grass"
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have registered on-line to op out via sticker. Here are the reasons I gave for opting-out when completing that form...

This service is being imposed without proper consideration by OFCOM. The consultation process started less than 3 months ago and ended less than 3 weeks ago. We are given less than 3 postal delivery days to opt out by way of a sticker; a sticker that takes more than 3 days to deliver.

The fact that this opt out form is for opting out of a 'trial' is just further evidence that this scheme has been introduced without proper consideration.

I suggest that if opting out of neighbour delivery is by a door sticker only, Royal Mail should also respect other door stickers and NOT deliver un-addressed junk mail.

get a grip of yourself
    OFCOM started their consultation on this scheme less than 3 months ago. The consultation ended less than 3 weeks ago. We are now given just 3 days to opt out with a sticker - that takes 4 days to deliver.

No,the original proposal was over a year ago

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3392320&highlight=
  • I agree with the fact it should be opt in. It will causes issue with retailers like the one I work for..
  • Many moons ago,the post was delivered by 9.30 in a time period when people were in.

Against Posties wishes and opinions,RM moved to a much later delivery period(the old 2nd delivery period)

Now delivering in a time period when householders are out working this is RM,s answer to the problem they made.

The smarter way is to get Internet orders delivered to a different address (workplace,Relation who is in all day)

ps Posties are also out earlier on a Saturday because there is no canteen facilities available,this gets him out the door 40mins earlier (and because folk are in on a Saturday we can deliver the items rather than writing out loads of pick it up at the P.O cards)
    I have a deep burning indifference
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport