UKDVDR - Rogue Traders ??

Complaint is I ordered 2 lots of discs online DVD RW’s and CD RW’s - when you add second item to online basket it recalculates postage to higher rate - they sent discs but only the DVD's handwritten note explained CD's were out of stock and would not be supplied. There was no automatic credit to cover the goods/postage on item not received. I had to contact them to organise credit and their initial response was

“I have checked your order and there is no notes to say you are owed a refund, can you please confirm further, was there a note in your order, if yes what did it say and who was it from”

I gave them this info and they refunded the non supplied item but but they will not refund the extra postage charged. Their latest response via online contact form is

"customers are charged the original shipping that has been paid for the order, this is due to goods still being sent we are unable to amend shipping costs on orders already paid"

It's impossible to contact them by phone on 0131 333 1696

Their address is

UKDVDR Ltd
Unit 6
Huly Hill Rd
Edinburgh Interchange
Newbridge
Edinburgh EH28 8PH

I’m wondering if any barrack room lawyers on this forum could advise if I could take out a Small Claims Court action against them (only available in England & Wales) as their Registered Office is in England

UK DVDR LIMITED
ROPER YARD, ROPER ROAD
CANTERBURY
KENT
CT2 7EX
Company No. 04782765

Comments

• hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    YOu could always try contacting your credit card company and telling them the situation and see if they will do a chargeback for the amount - what sort of amount are you talking about though?
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It would cost about £50,i think, to take out a claim in the small claims court.
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    hollydays wrote:
    It would cost about £50,i think, to take out a claim in the small claims court.

I did it a couple of years back vs Homebase costs about £25 but you add in a fair old chunk into your claim to cover your costs etc and when they lose they have to pay up the lot.

It cost Homebase over £300 after they had paid my claim and the bailiffs I put in. If they had seen the light and paid up before I ever took the Small Claims Court action it would have cost them about £100 - still they took the "we are a big company we know best " type attitude ;)
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry may be £30.I would ask them for another explaination of why they cannot refund the postage,as you need clarification on their original answer.
  • stamford
    hjb123 wrote:
    YOu could always try contacting your credit card company and telling them the situation and see if they will do a chargeback for the amount - what sort of amount are you talking about though?

Its only a couple of quid but its the principle and the time I have wasted e mailing their ignorant brick wall. They need teaching them a lesson in how to retain customer loyalty
  • stamford
    hollydays wrote:
    Sorry may be £30.I would ask them for another explaination of why they cannot refund the postage,as you need clarification on their original answer.

Yep the Small Claims Courts have a sliding scale of charges its £30 for up to £300
  • Anniek1969
    Anniek1969 Posts: 470 Forumite
    I used them for the first time last month and didn't have a problem with them. I thought the postage was the same whatever you bought, I think I paid £5.49 for postage for 100 dvds.

If they have overcharged you postage then they should refund it or contacted you before shipping the goods to tell you that the cd's were out of stock.

I would complain in writing to them and see if they'll then refund it.
  • They used to have their warehouse near us and we used them all the time and never had a problem You couldn't beat then on price around here. I understand they moved to Scotland a few months ago so maybe this is a teething problem.

I would try phoning them again and ask to speak to the manager or as previous post write to them. Good luck
  • stamford
    They used to have their warehouse near us and we used them all the time and never had a problem You couldn't beat then on price around here. I understand they moved to Scotland a few months ago so maybe this is a teething problem.

I would try phoning them again and ask to speak to the manager or as previous post write to them. Good luck

Thanks but they don't answer their phone and I've spent two weeks exchanging e mails with them where initially they deny overcharging then end up refusing to pay overcharge. So I'm not going to waste anymore time in that direction.

Here's another report about them http://www.ciao.co.uk/UKDVDR__Review_5580883
  • mssjab
    mssjab Posts: 119 Forumite
    Stamford - perhaps I'm wrong but I'm assuming that you're only talking about a small sum of money here? To take the matter to a County Court over a 'matter of principal' for a small amount seems a little silly to me. You might think it best to write the amount off and put the matter down to experience.

I've, unfortunately, felt it necessary to Summons people in the past - with some of the cases having been contested - and would advise you to satisfy yourself that you have a 'cast iron' and logical case before going down this route - the Courts don't like to think that you're wasting their time and are likely to penalise you if they think that you are (even though you might win the case)

You could try writting to these people giving them the usual 14 days to pay up, or else, to see what reaction you get, but frankly I think that you'll be wasting your time.

Time is a great healer, and in a few days time I'm sure you're be wondering what you got all upset about. In the long run they'll be the losers because you'll be unlikely to buy from them again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure