Feb-YOU-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

Comments

• I'll join in with this one. I used to work in a hospital where we could have a cooked meal for a £1 a day. Not many perks to that job but that was one of them. Now, for the past 3 months I'm in a new job and am having to take a packed lunch and I'm bored stupid of them already!
    Emergency savings: £0 saved / £4000 target
  • Please may I join?

Was reading the january one and enjoyed it. Will go shopping to get supplies tomorrow. But I need salad ideas, (trying to eat healthier ).

Thanks
  • lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi, I am in again. Thanks kittlej.

I have a load of pasties in the freezer that must be used. I used a recipe from hairy dieters, bread dough instead of pastry. Need to remember to defrost them though.
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • lbnblbnb wrote: »
    Hi, I am in again. Thanks kittlej.

I have a load of pasties in the freezer that must be used. I used a recipe from hairy dieters, bread dough instead of pastry. Need to remember to defrost them though.

Oooh that sounds interesting! Could you post/link to the recipe for the "pastry"? I might get on with that better than actual pastry. Am useless at baking! Lol
  • Greetings my fellow lunch munchers rofl :D

I'm in for Feb :T

Well for Friday its quite easy as I only do half days so just make something when I get home. Today I didn't have to spend a penny as I have a meeting for us Cat Protection Foster's and lunch was provided, result!!!

And ordered in the old sausages for next weeks lunches and also some chicken so gonna have sausage, chicken, sweetcorn and mayo sandwiches mmmmmm drooooolll ha.

Goodluck to all our previous Janruary lunchers and welcome and goodluck to our new additions in Feb :D:D
  • lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Oooh that sounds interesting! Could you post/link to the recipe for the "pastry"? I might get on with that better than actual pastry. Am useless at baking! Lol

I have taken the book back to the library so can't give you the exact recipe, but I know I used a veg pasty filling recipe (original had meat in it I think) and used the bread dough recipe for my bread maker as the quantities were almost the same. It worked well. The main reason I did it was because I had loads of root vegetables to use up.
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • Petlamb
    Petlamb Posts: 922
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hmm, now that bread dough pasty idea is interesting - the Mr often has tummy troubles with store bought pasties, that might prove to be a good alternative :)

As for me, I'll be peeking in here for ideas etc :) I don't currently work (long story, was meant to start 7th Jan, start date has been put back and back, currently "sometime soon") but the Mr does - his work options are vending machine depression filled sandwiches or the cafe across the road, as work don't have a canteen. Much better to be taking it in we agree, cheaper (and as we're on a very tight budget that's a priority) and should be tastier.

This week looks to be some kind of pasta pots made up. Not sure what will be in, maybe pasta, cream of chicken soup as sauce and some chicken scratty bits from the roast we're planning tonight? Might go crazy and put some veg in :P

On the bright side, work does have a micro and kettle for staff use.
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Welcomes to Housework Fairy, Sarahlou and Vampiric Addiction:j:j Don't be afraid to share recipes :D

lbnblbnb - I might have to try making bread dough pasties or maybe half pasties, half dough for pizza :T
    th?id=H.4654572884854640&pid=15.1

Hi SNH :hello: will let you know how the dough experiment goes - might try this on Thursday, unless someone else makes them first :D

AFK is that going to be all one filling? :shocked:

V A - maybe processed pasties are too greasy for your H? At least if you make your own you know what's in them :)

Keep going ev1 :T
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • mildredalien
    mildredalien Posts: 1,057
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Ooh what a good idea for a thread! I almost always take my lunch to work - this week it's smoked salmon trimmings and cream cheese in bagels and bananas :) I also got some half price pea and ham soup from the supermarket, so will take that in on a couple of days with a bread roll. I also might take some carrot sticks or cucumber in, I feel like I need more veg with my lunch but struggle to figure out what!
    Savings target: £25000/£25000
    :beer: :T

• kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    :wave: Hi mildredalien - don't forget to share any more of your yummy recipes :D we loooove food on this thread :drool:
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure