Cat D write-off?

Comments

• Was going to buy a car this afternoon, Fiesta LX 2003, just done the £5 RAC check thing and it says:

VRM and VIN recorded as a total loss by an insurance company
    Condition alert
    • Recorded against
      VRM and VIN
      Description
      FORD FIESTA LX
      Date
      19/07/2008
      Category
      D - Vehicle damaged but repairable - the insurer decided not to repair
    Market value is £3,995. He's said I can have it for £2,800. How much less than that should I now take it at seeing as he didn't tell me it was a Cat D, or do you think the £2800 price does reflect it?

Is insurance more expensive on Cat D cars?

Quick reply, any opinions would be great. I'm still tempted but mum's colleagues say don't touch it.
    :heart2: Give blood. :female: Use a mooncup.
    But ensure the two are not connected!
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes perhaps but where did market value come from?

Tell him you are interested but could he give you the name and address of last owner so you can check what the damage was. Or ask him for photos of it before repair.

I quite like CAT D write offs but you want to check suspension and gear box. Spend a bit more on getting it checked by RAC might be in order.

Just had a look on glasses I think valuation might be high.

Engine, no of doors, mileage, 03 or 53 plate?
  • Thanks for your reply, I didn't get it in the end. He was hurrying me into buying, said there were others going to look at it the same afternoon and denied it had been written off. He said the scratch in the rear bumper is the only damage it had ever had. Surely that's not worth writing it off? I paid far too much for one at carcraft instead for peace of mind. Funny thing is his one is still on Autotrader so I guess he didn't sell it.
    :heart2: Give blood. :female: Use a mooncup.
    But ensure the two are not connected!
  • sharky1378
    sharky1378 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi I have just had an RTA someone bumped into my rear end.
    I paid £500 for the car it still has MOT until October And tax for 6 Months can i still drive it around.

I have the log book and there is not much damage it needs a sray job under the bumper and the boot door has some minor fractures it it as it if fiberglass being a old citroen ZX.

Do i need a VIC as the car is still road worthy just new door and bumper respray and work charged by the garage would cost more then I paid for the car.

The 3rd party insurance company have offered me £450 on average milage of 109,00 miles but it has only done 62,000 miles

Should I get them to up the offer and Cat D it or stay at cat C and ask for more money?

Thanks Sharky1378
    Sharky1378:eek:
  • Hintza
    First Post Combo Breaker
    So they have registered it as a CAT C? That is just more hassle and expense, pity they didn't register it as Cat D I would have just suggested taking the money (after a bit of haggling) and carry on driving it.

Since it is a CAT C then you need a VIC check what i don't know is whether you need to re-MOT it or not so check that out.
  • challis
    challis Posts: 2 Newbie
    help!!
    i bought a car two years ago knowing it was a cat d. he assured me it had been properly fixed, and gave me an invoice. i never really understood the whole cat d situation an i never thought i'd have to tell the insurance. i was nearly at a halt when hit up the rear 2 weeks ago. car was sent of to get fixed an recieved a call the other day saying my inssurance claim is on hold until some guy comes out to determine what damage was caused from this incident. i also need to send in a copy of my log book, mot, any service and proof of perchace. can someone give me any advice on how to get best out of this situation pleaseeeeeeeee:confused:
  • Hintza
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Send them what they require, and see what happens. Wait until there is a problem. They might reduce your claim a bit, hopefully not though.
  • challis
    challis Posts: 2 Newbie
    thanks for the reasurrance. obviously still a little worried. do yoou think there is much chance of this invalidating my insurance?
  • Hintza
    First Post Combo Breaker
    challis wrote: »
    thanks for the reasurrance. obviously still a little worried. do yoou think there is much chance of this invalidating my insurance?

No. As I say they might try and reduce any payout (esp if written off again). But remember the other party hit you, so you are not at fault (I presume) and therefore it is upto the other party's insurer to put you back in the position you were in before this accident. Just don't take any nonsennse from them.
  • Very useful info here. I was about to buy a Cat D car but found this stuff. In my view insurance companies will do anything to avoid paying out so best to avoid potential glitches before the start. Especially with older cheap cars.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure