Add your feedback on energy supplier Extra Energy

Comments

• secretov
    secretov Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2016 at 11:01AM
    Problems Problems Problems

I was with EE for a few months last year before getting off the sinking ship, only problem is now a debt collection agency is chasing me for money that they have credited me?

To cut a long story short EE say that I owe them £47.62 - I phoned them today (1 hour on phone) and their notes dating back from June 2015 say that they have indeed waived the £47.62. However, after going backwards and forwards from customer service to complaints, they are saying that they paid me £50 on the 15th June 2015 directly in to my bank account, for me to pay them back? - The thing is I have looked at my statement and there is no £50 from them?

The customer service agent put through yet another complaint from me but I am not holding out much hope.

Where do I go from here? - Should I just pay it?

Edit - To add I posted on here last year in regards to finally leaving them and the credit.
  • regis598
    regis598 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Ask them to provide proof that they did actually pay this money into your bank account. If they cant then they have probably not done so. Have the collection agency shown you any evidence that the debt actually exists? again ask them for proof.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 October 2016 at 4:36PM
    secretov wrote: »
    Problems Problems Problems

I was with EE for a few months last year before getting off the sinking ship, only problem is now a debt collection agency is chasing me for money that they have credited me?

To cut a long story short EE say that I owe them £47.62 - I phoned them today (1 hour on phone) and their notes dating back from June 2015 say that they have indeed waived the £47.62. However, after going backwards and forwards from customer service to complaints, they are saying that they paid me £50 on the 15th June 2015 directly in to my bank account, for me to pay them back? - The thing is I have looked at my statement and there is no £50 from them?

The customer service agent put through yet another complaint from me but I am not holding out much hope.

Where do I go from here? - Should I just pay it?

Edit - To add I posted on here last year in regards to finally leaving them and the credit.

I found one of your posts from June 2015 you mentioned (the last one, I believe, from a flurry at that time)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=68596534&postcount=1841

It would appear from that post that you had already raised a complaint againt EE and EE agreed that the necessary 8 weeks had then passed and invited you to escalate the matter to the ombudsman.

Presumably, you did not do so. Unfortunately you will now be timed out. Sorry, you are on your own now....

(Only basis really left open to you to resolve the matter if you cannot do it together is via court - expect any judge's first question to be did you go to the ombudsman, and second question to be if you did, what did the ombudsman propose, and if not, why not )
  • I switched to extra energy and really wish I hadn't!! I've had so many problems with them. Their customer service is shocking. I was only with them a short while and went straight back to eon after they told me my monthly direct debit was going to be over £200! And they refused to amend it. I've been back with eon for almost a year and I'm still having problems with extra energy. They took a direct debit out of my account today!!! Avoid at all costs.
  • Ashmaniac
    Ashmaniac Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 11:06PM
    Ok now I have another Extra Energy horror story for you. I signed up with them for Dual Fuel for economy 7 in March 2015. I supplied them with 3 readings during my first 12 months, one at the start, one in September and then one in May when my fixed rate had ended, all this was done over the phone. Despite all this I never actually received a bill until May, 14 months after I joined them which stated I owed them just over £200.

You would have thought they would have adjusted my DD during this period as I was using more energy but no this didn't happen and when I checked the statement I found out why. I noticed that all readings for the first 12 months were down as estimates even though readings had been provided and an actual meter reader came out to check the gas in February, this also wasn't included in the May statement. However what they did do was increase my DD (don't forget this is all based on estimates) to £83.00 from the original amount (also based on estimates) of £59.00

So in July this year I switched suppliers and provided them with a meter reading to start off with, thankfully this has all gone through fine, however then Extra Energy send my the final bill covering the final 2 months, now stating that I owe them over £700, thankfully after they didn't take anything for 2 months and I thought it was all finished I cancelled the DD, and then they tried to collect 2 days later but failed (I only noticed this had happened a couple of days ago) It seems that once they received the reading from my new supplier they have now stated than in a 2 month period from 10/05/16 to 21/07/16 I used 3304.2kWh (day) and 1072kWh (night) resulting in a total charge of £539.58 (with the £16.40 Standing Charge).

My start reading I gave to EE was 50777 (Night) 08247 (Day) and this was on 28/03/15. The estimate they have on the first statement with a date of 04/05/15, is 50763 (Night) and 8189 (Day). So it seems my first payment to them was for energy already paid for, and then they produce a low estimate despite accurate readings being provided.

This is followed on the same line as a present day estimate dated 09/05/16 of 51348 (Night) and 9874 (Day). When I called them on 02/05/16 and gave them readings of 52109 (Night) and 12285 (Day).

Finally I scrolled down to the bottom of the statement and I find something tucked away there. To add insult to injury, even though the fixed rate had ended in April, there were 2 exit fees totalling £47.62.

Now they have passed it on to a debt collection company and I have to deal with them too. I will fight this all the way if I have to though.

This is a shocking way to run any business.

I have written to the EE complaints department, via e-mail, and I am awaiting a response, although I won't hold my breath after reading this thread. Anyway I will keep you posted on what happens.

On my personal experience I would advise NOT to use them, especially if you are new to not being on a key meter like me. They will not provide assistance and seem intent on making sure you are in debt by the time you leave them by using inaccurate readings and charging for energy used the previous year. I cannot comment on their complaints handling yet as I have only just e-mail them just over an hour ago but the customer service is terrible with them completely disregarding the readings I gave them.

In the meantime any help on how to deal with this or where I stand and my rights etc. etc. would be greatly appreciated.
  • regis598
    You will find that they will deny that a complaint was made. As you have found out they are an incompetent Company. Going back to the above, try and get a reference number for your complaint and keep copies of all communications with them. If they have not responded after 56 days then refer the complaint to Ombudsman Services - Energy. Good luck and don't give up.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ashmaniac wrote: »
    Ok now I have another Extra Energy horror story for you. I signed up with them for Dual Fuel for economy 7 in March 2015. I supplied them with 3 readings during my first 12 months, one at the start, one in September and then one in May when my fixed rate had ended, all this was done over the phone. Despite all this I never actually received a bill until May, 14 months after I joined them which stated I owed them just over £200.

You would have thought they would have adjusted my DD during this period as I was using more energy but no this didn't happen and when I checked the statement I found out why. I noticed that all readings for the first 12 months were down as estimates even though readings had been provided and an actual meter reader came out to check the gas in February, this also wasn't included in the May statement. However what they did do was increase my DD (don't forget this is all based on estimates) to £83.00 from the original amount (also based on estimates) of £59.00

So in July this year I switched suppliers and provided them with a meter reading to start off with, thankfully this has all gone through fine, however then Extra Energy send my the final bill covering the final 2 months, now stating that I owe them over £700, thankfully after they didn't take anything for 2 months and I thought it was all finished I cancelled the DD, and then they tried to collect 2 days later but failed (I only noticed this had happened a couple of days ago) It seems that once they received the reading from my new supplier they have now stated than in a 2 month period from 10/05/16 to 21/07/16 I used 3304.2kWh (day) and 1072kWh (night) resulting in a total charge of £539.58 (with the £16.40 Standing Charge).

My start reading I gave to EE was 50777 (Night) 08247 (Day) and this was on 28/03/15. The estimate they have on the first statement with a date of 04/05/15, is 50763 (Night) and 8189 (Day). So it seems my first payment to them was for energy already paid for, and then they produce a low estimate despite accurate readings being provided.

This is followed on the same line as a present day estimate dated 09/05/16 of 51348 (Night) and 9874 (Day). When I called them on 02/05/16 and gave them readings of 52109 (Night) and 12285 (Day).

Finally I scrolled down to the bottom of the statement and I find something tucked away there. To add insult to injury, even though the fixed rate had ended in April, there were 2 exit fees totalling £47.62.

Now they have passed it on to a debt collection company and I have to deal with them too. I will fight this all the way if I have to though.

This is a shocking way to run any business.

I have written to the EE complaints department, via e-mail, and I am awaiting a response, although I won't hold my breath after reading this thread. Anyway I will keep you posted on what happens.

On my personal experience I would advise NOT to use them, especially if you are new to not being on a key meter like me. They will not provide assistance and seem intent on making sure you are in debt by the time you leave them by using inaccurate readings and charging for energy used the previous year. I cannot comment on their complaints handling yet as I have only just e-mail them just over an hour ago but the customer service is terrible with them completely disregarding the readings I gave them.

In the meantime any help on how to deal with this or where I stand and my rights etc. etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I am sorry to hear the problems you have encountered but mine was just as bad. I left in December 2014 and after chasing them for a final bill it eventually arrived in April 2015 with a refund of £90. They then decided the bill was incorrect and I should have not got this credit. So they took the credit back and produced another bill which was wrong. I got the matter sorted only to find in January 2016 they decided I now owed them £143 and produced another final bill. I rang and they apologised and said I owed them nothing.

Then in about July 2016 another final bill arrived saying I now owed them £89.00. At that point I took the matter up with the Ombudsman at which point EE contacted me and apologised and agreed the balance was zero and gave me compensation.

I thought oh great end of the matter. But remember its EE we are dealing with here. A few weeks ago I only received an email from their debt collection agency requesting payment of £89.00. Fortunately I had the Supervisors name in the complaints dept of EE and he was just as amazed as I was.

He managed to get the final bill cancelled again and to get the debt collectors off my back.
  • WhoIsThat
    WhoIsThat Posts: 234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 October 2016 at 9:49PM
    regis598 wrote: »
    You will find that they will deny that a complaint was made. As you have found out they are an incompetent Company. Going back to the above, try and get a reference number for your complaint and keep copies of all communications with them. If they have not responded after 56 days then refer the complaint to Ombudsman Services - Energy. Good luck and don't give up.

There are almost 3000 posts in this thread now, and you appear to be the only person to suggest this.

Most posts that complain about this company say, or at least imply, that Extra Energy do not deny a complaint is made ... but admittedly they may not do anything about it leaving the customer no choice really than to escalate the matter to the ombudsman when appropriate as you go onto say.

If the company do deny the complaint was ever made, then unless you have proof to the contrary, don't bother with the ombudsman route, as the supplier will tell them likewise, resulting in the ombudsman service refusing to consider the matter at this time.
  • rogcal
    rogcal Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I thought I'd dip my toe into the the forum after an absence of several months and I can see very little has changed.

Being one of the first EE customers I experienced a lot of problems back in early 2014 which went on for well over a year and a half but finally all is well and as soon as I submit my meter reading online I get my bill which I immediately pay.

I suppose being the only "pay on receipt of bill" customer that EE had for over year put me in a unique position and because of that "if it could go wrong it did" but now all is sweet.

I'd strongly recommend going on the "pay on receipt of bill" payment method if only to remain in charge of how you pay and when you pay.

It's not rocket science to work out how much you are using each month and put that money to one side and when you submit your quarterly reading and get the bill you've got the money to pay it.

When you think back to how we used to pay our elec/gas/water bills 25 years ago it was always you pay for what you used every 3 months but then the utilities cottoned on to the fact that with DDs they could take as much as they could from your account each month and make you fight hard to get any over payments back.

The payment on reciept of bill payment method may be a step back into the stone age as far as bill paying is concerned but it gives you control of your money and they get none of it until the bill for what you've used arrives.

Hello Mable. Good to see you are still giving a helping hand on here.:beer:
  • regis598
    My post is based on the following, 5/6/2015 I lodged a complaint with EE. I received an email and phone call confirming the complaint had been made.
    3/8/2015 I referred the complaint to OS-E due to lack of response from EE. In September 2015 I phoned EE and due to their reply I requested lodging a further complaint, a week later when I phoned they denied that I had even telephoned them the previous week.
    Fast forward to 15/12/2015 I telephoned again and asked where my refund was as I had ceased to be their customer in mid-August. Their adviser made arrangements to sort it out and when questioned informed me that according to their records I had never made a complaint at any time. I then informed him that I wanted to make a complaint and he asked how it was to be dealt with and I requested by Royal Mail, once again it didn't happen.
    I finally received my refund on 4/1/2016, 132 days after they stopped supplying me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure