Zero standing charge gas rather than meter removal

neorich2002
neorich2002 Posts: 17 Forumite
Good afternoon,

I have recently switched to an electric boiler rather than a gas one, and so I no longer need a gas supply to my apartment.

National grid have quoted me £1,600 for the gas disconnection. Only then will my gas supplier remove the meter and stop serving me a standing charge on the bill.

I obviously don't want to pay that, nor do I want to continue to pay a standing charge for gas supply I don't use.

I see a company called ebico who offer gas supply with zero standing charge. This seems like an easy solution, a little too easy.

I'm curious whether this would offer up any hidden gotchas I might not have thought of.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Regards

neorich2002

Comments

• CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ebico is your best bet.

It is one of the few, if not only supplier that has a zero standing charge tariff.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 June 2016 at 4:38PM
    Good afternoon,

I have recently switched to an electric boiler rather than a gas one, and so I no longer need a gas supply to my apartment.

National grid have quoted me £1,600 for the gas disconnection. Only then will my gas supplier remove the meter and stop serving me a standing charge on the bill.

I obviously don't want to pay that, nor do I want to continue to pay a standing charge for gas supply I don't use.

I see a company called ebico who offer gas supply with zero standing charge. This seems like an easy solution, a little too easy.

I'm curious whether this would offer up any hidden gotchas I might not have thought of.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Regards

neorich2002

There are no hidden catches with Ebico. Indeed they were the first supplier to offer straightforward pricing. Theres a single unit price for gas across the UK, no matter how you decide to pay, and they have never had any standing charges to worry about (and they had to fight hard to retain that USP when Ofgem were keen to make everyone pay a standing charge)

So it's really simple to work out your cost; it's simply the units used multiplied by their unit price (currently 5.2p) ... and their tariffs are not fixed.

That there is the catch, although it certainly isn't hidden - you can buy gas elsewhere as low as about 2p/kWh, (depending on how you pay, what term you agree to fix until, etc) so if you do use any, it may not be the best option.

Best advice is, as always, to consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you.
    (If the comparison site does not accept zero units per year, use one unit instead)

Why did you switch to an electric boiler??? :huh:
    Best price for gas is as I say about 2p/kWh
    Best price for electricity (single rate) is about 10p/kWh :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills