Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 May 2016 at 1:58PM
    Options
    spiro wrote: »
    Suppliers have to go through loads of stages before they can fit a ppm and the same will apply to converting a smart meter from credit to ppm. The only element it will remove is suppliers turning up with locksmiths and police to fit a ppm.
    Hundreds of thousands of prepay meters are fitted peacefully after just a couple of letters detailing the amount of money owed and how it can be resolved. Its still very rare for suppliers to waste the occupiers money,( and make their debts even larger ) by bringing in locksmiths and court warrants. Most people have more sense than to fight a prepayment meter being installed and many actually want one anyway.
    The current smart meters, gas and electric, both have the ability to switch seemlessly from credit to prepay mode.Eon actually advertise that and they use the same smarts as BG. An esteemed poster on here (Joyful ) who works for BG has actually witnessed it in action on here and has said so. I don t think the suppliers have yet set up their systems to get this much needed vital softwear enabled yet.
    It would be a really good thing for everyone concerned if a serial debtor or energy thief who refused to pay for their energy or someone who is dangerously bypassing the meters, could just have their supply shut down automatically. Everyone would agree to that.
    If any power cuts will be needed they will do it like the old days and just cut everyone off, smart or dumb in one fell swoop by pulling whatever lever it is what shuts areas off. If they just picked on smarts there would be an almighty clamour to take the meters out again. That option is still available anyway.
    The MPs in their wisdom voted to make smarts optional. The rest of Europe did nt !( except Germany and Sweden ) and pursued the more sensible line of "you re having one whether you like it or not "
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm getting constant phone calls and emails from British Gas offering a free smart meter upgrade.

I'm tempted to get one but I'm a bit worried that they are trying to offload as many of the first generation smart meters before the new ones become available. I did ask one of the callers about this but they clearly didn't know what they were talking about.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes it will be the mark 1, only smart for the original supplier.

Eon are trying it on with me currently. Sending letters saying your meter is being phased out. Not ,you note, end of life and must under statutory powers be replaced. No mention that I do not legally have to have a smart meter. Worded that it sounds like I must call them and let them install the smart meter. Getting desperate to fill their quota of installs.

10 months ago Eon sent a letter like this but did mention that a meter replacement was not needed and I could just ignore the letter if I wished.

And no, the current meter still doesn't need replacing for any reason.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are already millions of meters in the country which can be disconnected. Dumb prepay meters, no money? No gas or leccy.

BG don't disconnect people any more unless its for a second tampering offense.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    But the point is, if it becomes so much easier to discontent people with credit meters - and let's face it, at the moment it isn't easy for the energy providers - they'll sure as hell be onto it. As I said, they'll use it as blackmail, as they now do with credit reporting. All very well, you might think. People who don't pay what they owe deserve to be disconnected, but think npower! Would you really be happy with the likes of npower having a remote switch? I wouldn't be.
  • K.S.
    K.S. Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    got mine installed a couple of weeks ago... the engineer had a bit of a problem switching them from credit to prepayment but it was sorted and i got a LCD display set up in the house to see what i'm using and how much credit i have left on both meters

pleased overall!

p.s. this is with E-on
  • fierystormcloud
    fierystormcloud Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    Options
    I wondered, is having smart meters going to be mandatory? I don't want them. Can I refuse? (I'm with BG.)
    cooeeeeeeeee :j :wave:
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    Yes it will be the mark 1, only smart for the original supplier.

Hmm - thanks. I'd have no problem having a smart meter but I don't want to put one in just to need it replacing in the next year or two should I move suppliers.

I think I'll hold off for now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wondered, is having smart meters going to be mandatory? I don't want them. Can I refuse? (I'm with BG.)

You can refuse to accept a smart meter at the moment. That said, the Government is quietly managing enforcement behind the scenes. For example, the Law was changed last year to make smart meters compulsory for certain forms of district heating. That said, there are still massive technology problems to overcome. There are no simple smart metering solutions for high rise flats or for consumers that have remote meters with no adjacent power.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    There are no simple smart metering solutions for high rise flats or for consumers that have remote meters with no adjacent power.

There maybe for some.

I've just had 2 gas meters in Business properties replaced by Smart and they needed no local power - communications and power in a black box.

Supplier is Total gp.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family