Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Comments

• thommo
    thommo Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been on half price for the last 18 months:)

Just rang Sky as deal was coming to an end and did'nt get offered any deal so i cancelled:(

Hopefully i may get a call back but i can't justify paying the full £45 a month just to watch a couple of football matches and for my missus to watch the cooking channels!!
  • hmc
    hmc Posts: 2,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    hi, friend is paying £37 a mth for sky with movies.
    she doesnt want their bb or phone as she is happy with her current deals
    the old sky box they bought themselves
    how can i get her a better deal, surely at least a free upgrade to sky +
    is it worth a phone call please
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A Sky+ box is free on freegle and next to nothing on eBay/car boot sale. With the move to HD they are of very little value.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • charlie792
    charlie792 Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone can provide any advice as its a bit of a random situation....

Ive been with Virgin for 2 years now, but cancelled after my first one because it worked out cheaper. My last 12 month contact expired a few months ago so Ive been biding my time about phoning them for a reduction however Im moving house this month so have just phoned them to request change of address, which they now tell me I have to take out yet another 12 month contract with them, plus pay a moving fee so told them I wasn't really happy with having to be stuck with them for another 12 months at the price Im currently paying - If Ive got to be stuck into another contract I might as well see what else is around. She came back and offered me a whole £3 per month off my bill, and still have to pay the moving fee :( which to be honest is no incentive for me to stay.

Has anyone been in a similar sitution before and managed to get more off whilst moving or is it likely to be a case of they arn't going to reduce my bill any more?

Any advice welcomed
    MFW 2020 #111 Offset Balance £69,394.80/ £69,595.11
    Aug 2014 £114,750 -35 yrs (2049)
    Sept 2016 £104,800
    Nov 2018 £82,500 -24 yrs (2042)

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A move with VM always involves a new 12m contract. if you are already out of contract, why not cancel, move and then see if you can then get a new deal at a better price?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Hi all,

I am coming towards the end of a deal with Virgin Media:
    xltv
    l broadband
    l phone

paying 55 ish a month

I have done all the haggling I can and have got down to:

xltv
    l broadband
    m phone
    500 meg tivo box
    swapping v+ box into another room

paying 43.90 a month and install cost of 29.95 ( a very hard fought for discount!) I have asked for a 1 tb tivo box for an cost of 49.95 install but they arent playing ball.

If I dropped the tv to l it would be £39.90 but i would miss espn i think!

What do you all think?? I am interested in your opinions'
  • johebr
    johebr Posts: 74 Forumite
    I'm wanting to reduce my sky bill i currently pay £72.50 pm, that's full HD package, and multiroom, i've been with sky for years, i'm not in contract and have never been fortunate to even get a free box, i've paid for both my HD box and regular Sky+ box, that i don't even get anytime on. Anyway i have read several threads on how people have manged to get discounts from sky, so my question is, are these people phoning and straight asking sky to help reduce there bill? or are they phoning threatening to cancel part or all subscription?

Any help on what to say, or what to do to get some kind of discount would be helpful, i don't want to cancel or leave sky, i just think it's time i get something back from them.
  • Hi all,

I am coming towards the end of a deal with Virgin Media:
    xltv
    l broadband
    l phone

paying 55 ish a month

I have done all the haggling I can and have got down to:

xltv
    l broadband
    m phone
    500 meg tivo box
    swapping v+ box into another room

paying 43.90 a month and install cost of 29.95 ( a very hard fought for discount!) I have asked for a 1 tb tivo box for an cost of 49.95 install but they arent playing ball.

If I dropped the tv to l it would be £39.90 but i would miss espn i think!

What do you all think?? I am interested in your opinions'

I was offered the same deal but with no installation/activation costs for the 500 meg tivo box so I would phone back and just explain that new customers get free install and activation and you should at least get that free.
  • I've stumbled across a great offer today in Currys & PC World.

Currently for existing customers to get a 1TB Tivo box on the Virgin Media website, there is an ‘activation fee’ of £49.95, plus an ‘install fee’ of £49.95.

However, the offer in Currys/PC World is to buy a Virgin Media Tivo 1TB pack for £24.99. This fee is apparently refunded with the first (new customer) or next (existing customer) bill. The bonus is that there is free activation of the box. Therefore as long as the £24.99 is refunded correctly onto my bill, I’ll be making an additional saving of £49. Even if I don’t get the £24.99 refunded, it still works out cheaper, so it’s a win-win offer.

I’ve not found any details online, as it seems to be an in-store only offer (I found it in Leicester Fosse Park).

As a bonus, Virgin have offered to install my new Tivo 1TB box next Mon (21st Nov), and I get to keep my old V+HD box in another room for no extra monthly fee.. so now is an ideal time to get one before Christmas.
  • Calliesmum wrote: »
    I was offered the same deal but with no installation/activation costs for the 500 meg tivo box so I would phone back and just explain that new customers get free install and activation and you should at least get that free.

Hi, thankyou for your reply, are you paying the same price per month as the lady from vm was saying that i could either get the "loyalty discount" or free install not both. al
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure