Any jobs that dont require a CRB check

I would be grateful if anyone can provide answers to the following questions-

Do most office jobs require a CRB check? (not including banks that apparently do)

Do most jobs with major retailers require a CRB check?

I don't want a job involving working with kids/vulnerable adults etc.

I am asking as I have the chance of redundancy (I've been in same job for 20+ yrs) and would like to take it. I have a police caution for an offence (doesnt involve dishonesty) that I have checked and been told it would definitely show up on a CRB.

I have never told my wife about the offence and really dont want to. I have read if a CRB is done a copy is sent to home address & so there is a good chance she would see it.

I appreciate I would have to lie on my application and risk being sacked if I was found out.

Comments

• LADY_A_5
    LADY_A_5 Posts: 249 Forumite
    hi, can only say from my experience, i have applied for a job that required a enhanced crb and on the application is ask's do you have any convictions cautions etc,
    i felt it is better to be honest and put in cautioned before i was 18.
    they appreciated my honesty and i knew and they knew what would show up on my crb when it comes through.
    a caution is not like a conviction, as its just a warning so i would be honest personally and then its no shock to employers etc when it does come up and you are then seen as a liar.
    :cool:
  • I agree with LADY_A, my FIL has spent convictions but when he changed jobs (last August) he wa told he would need a CRB, not thinking he blurted out his list (not very long but still) and asked where he would stand. They thanked him for being honest and bringing to their attention straight away, asked him if all were 'spent'(yes) and how long since his last one (14 years). He told then he had grown up and put that life behind him. He got the job and has since progressed within the company. It best to be honest and at least that way you know where you stand and whether your wasting your time. You never know one persons judgement from the other so go for it.
  • I appreciate comments and that it may not stop me getting a job but my main concern is my wife finding out... I've been out of the jobs market a long time and I'm trying to gauge how often a CRB is asked for (in cases that dont involve jobs with children or vulnerable adults).
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    The only time I've ever had a CRB check is for a night trunking job for a parcel company. Even then, it wasn't an in depth one.
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    I suspect any job that involves handling largeish quantities of cash or stock, people's account information, being responsible for people (in any way) would require CRB.

Does your CRB come to your home a/d - mine went to work-place??

Just tell your wife - if you've been married that long, she'll wallop you with a frying pan, and then surely make you a cuppa? Doesn't sound like a major big deal?
  • Bean_Counter
    Bean_Counter Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As an accountant and been in quite a few different jobs over the years, I have never had a CRB done.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ceebeeby wrote: »
    Just tell your wife - if you've been married that long, she'll wallop you with a frying pan, and then surely make you a cuppa? Doesn't sound like a major big deal?

Of course, it may not just be the caution the OP may be worried about - but what he was doing when he got it.

Personally, I'd tell her anyway - it will be a load off your mind.
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Agreed-you shouldn't have a secret like this from your wife. If she loves you she will appreciate your honesty for telling her and will hopefully understand your reasons for not telling her.

My marriage broke up in April this year and one of the major factors was the many lies my husband had told me. They were mainly about money but had escalated so that he was even lying to me about silly things. I wasn't even angry about the financial disaster facing us,it was his dishonesty-and thae fact he continued to lie to me even after I found out. Marriage should be based on total honety and this is the best oppurtunity to clear the air.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ceebeeby wrote: »
    I suspect any job that involves handling largeish quantities of cash or stock, people's account information, being responsible for people (in any way) would require CRB.

Does your CRB come to your home a/d - mine went to work-place??

"If you are going to work as a paid employee or as a volunteer for an organisation and your work will bring you into contact with children or vulnerable adults, you may be asked to apply for a CRB check. For example, if you are to work as a teacher, care worker, scout & guide leader, registered childminder, sports coach, youth club worker, foster carer or adoptive parent."

From the CRB website, you should need a crb to work in a shop or any of the other things you put down.

I would also question the need for a CRB for the night trunking person as well. i know a lot of orginastions seem to do CRB checks that are not with in the rules.

GD
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've never had a CRB check as part of the various office jobs I had.

Like the others though, I am intrigued that you are so adamant that your wife must not find out. And that you never told her in the first place. Why didn't you actually tell her earlier?
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure