Last Share you Bought?

Comments

• sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just buy the ftse, they all in it. If you cant decide when to buy its even harder to sell
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just buy the ftse, they all in it. If you cant decide when to buy its even harder to sell

FTSE isn't what what it was. Highly concentrated. With companies getting listings that have very illiquid numbers of shares in circulation.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Forumite
    edited 21 April 2012 at 2:42PM
    http://www.stockchallenge.co.uk/ftse.php

For most people index is better. Buying individual shares is for nutters who think they Gordon Gecko tbh :laugh: The people who drive the market are in a trading business that can write off losses, we cant do that

Big shares mostly bounce back and forth, then one day they sell off (before market open) and you wonder why. Next week you find out the CEO wrecked the pension fund and thats it, you didnt get any special growth

Why would you think your research on a blue chip is better then a guy spending 40 paid hours to calculate that and he can write off his mistakes.
    Its possible and theres luck but just getting one share is mostly a delusion
    BLB53 wrote: »
    Here's a link to a write-up on the Motley Fool from January

http://boards.fool.co.uk/nfsc-2012-dialight-dia-12457894.aspx

I own CREE who make great torches if you see one. The problem is we dont walk round with torches, the business is about fixed lighting and its not LED (yet)

Japan said they'd take some to reduce power draw, all their Oxford street type displays. It is partly a play on high energy costs justifying the expense of change over, LED requires separate power circuit and/or transformer
    IronWolf wrote: »
    P/E of 35, youch! I usually get put off by anything over 15 :p

High growth, steady business is more simple to value. What PE is a company that only makes losses, that describes most of AIM but they have value and solid assets even but are essentially insolvent.
    Check out CNR, billions of gold, zero profit potential near term - 1000 PE (cheap)
    StevieJ wrote: »
    Excellent company, they charge me £1.20 for what equates to a 20 minute walk into town, Arriva charge £2.20 for the same journey, needless to say that Arriva never get any of my business ;)

Glad to hear it, hopefully they can survive higher fuel prices and be efficient enough to beat cars, etc
  • sho_me_da_money
    sho_me_da_money Posts: 1,673
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 21 April 2012 at 3:10PM
    Off course I know frig all about shares but I am in the technology industry and saw something recently that I beleive will be HUGE over the next few years.

Ever heard of Digital Domain Media Group anyone? DDMG. I'd like to jump on their bandwagon.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=DDMG

Is that $7.55 for 1 share?

What do you you guys think of their track record?
  • srcandas
    srcandas Posts: 1,241
    Forumite
    edited 21 April 2012 at 3:26PM
    Off course I know frig all about shares but I am in the technology industry and saw something recently that I beleive will be HUGE over the next few years.

Ever heard of Digital Domain Media Group anyone? DDMG. I'd like to jump on their bandwagon.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=DDMG

Is that $7.55 for 1 share?

What do you you guys think of their track record?

The share price is in dollars so over $8 a share to buy. Will not be cheap to buy I believe due to spread and costs. But if you are in for a few thousand shares and if this is a punt for big gains then not the end all I guess.

Certainly interesting and thanks for sharing.

The last quarter report included-

The company said it took a $3.3 million hit from Legendary Pictures' decision to cancel Paradise Lost, a film Digital Domain was co-producing.

Which illustrates your high risk assessment but could be an interesting ride.

Purely amateur comment of course :beer:
    I believe past performance is a good guide to future performance :beer:
  • srcandas wrote: »
    The share price is in dollars. Will not be cheap to buy I believe due to spread and costs. But if you are in for a few thousand shares and if this is a punt for big gains then not the end all I guess.

Certainly interesting and thanks for sharing.

The last quarter report included-

The company said it took a $3.3 million hit from Legendary Pictures' decision to cancel Paradise Lost, a film Digital Domain was co-producing.

Which illustrates your high risk assessment but could be an interesting ride.

Purely amateur comment of course :beer:

Can I not buy like £1000 worth of shares or doesnt it work like that?
  • srcandas
    srcandas Posts: 1,241
    Forumite
    Can I not buy like £1000 worth of shares or doesnt it work like that?

You could give iii.co.uk a buzz on Monday and ask. There might be restrictions (minimum amounts for example) and the buying price is important. But best get it from a broker who can do the business.

Of course there are other brokers who will buy-sell US for you. Just iii are the one I have seen. I have no connection with them or even an account. But you can find DDMG on their site without an account if you want to have a look :)
    I believe past performance is a good guide to future performance :beer:
  • BLB53 wrote: »
    The last share I bought was a top up of Dialight (DIA) @ 755p in Feb.
    Robbie Burns is a fan and also Mark Slater who runs the Slater Growth fund - I think DIA is a top three holding for the fund.

A lot further to go imo.

Yea I just saw that, he is pretty good but he also knows when to sell.
    Anything like this I'd want to take some profits on its way up
    LED is a long story still to go
    And I've tried to take advantage of bad days to add more shares in companies where I'm already in a massive profit.

None more so than in Dialight (DIA) and I added to the recent spreadbet on them at around 700 by getting some more at 980. A SB as my ISA is stuffed with Dialight.

I have been patient all the way from 150p to the now tennerish and as those of you who have to my seminars have seen from my accounts my profits in real life are something like £90,000. For the website profits are more than £50,000 - and of course there have been dividends on top. A broker has put out a target price of 1400 for these but with a fair wind they could go further and with my big holding I would be happy to finally exit on a nice bid. How about 1800? It's lucky: it's in the right market at the right time. I remember buying these live at 150 at a seminar, wish I'd bought more then...

The other exciting thing about Dialight is if it keeps rising it could get into the FTSE 250 which would mean some funds would buy in for the first time and it would also get on the radar of the bigger funds.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Last trade was about 2 months ago, £24k split equally between Tesco, Morrison & Sainsbury. currently made about £1k. But I am just as likely to pick losers as winners, so try to diversify. The only funds I hold are investment trusts with a good discount to net asset value. Because then the fund managers are a liability that is already priced into the shares. Buying investment trust shares at launch is a recipe for losing money.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • sabretoothtigger
    Forumite
    They deleted the Cadogan thread. Ukraine is too controversial to discuss apparently, bad investment you have been warned :p
    As usual its doing nothing much despite the market turning dire

Last share I got today was Essar.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family