PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prices of milk..

Options
13»

Comments

• thriftmonster
    Options
    For some unknown reason you can't buy skimmed milk in containers larger than 1litre here in Belfast. It can't be demand becuase they're always running out of the stuff. Yet you can get the huge ones of semi amd whole milk...
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cheapest place i always buy my milk from is Heron. its a freezer shop, a bit like Farm Foods, and its only 52p for 2pints, and 89p for 4pints :j
  • Sarahjovi
    Sarahjovi Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I still buy 1 pint a day (Mon - Sat) from the milkman, for convenience of having fresh milk for breakfast (and so I don't find we've run out when the kids are about to have breakfast before they go to school). However at 50p per pint, I find these prices outrageous and keep considering stopping the delivery in favour of buying 4 pinters from Tesco. I only get the one pint per day in support of the great british institution of the Milkman! but if they put their prices up any more, I'm afraid this institution is going to become extinct!

Sarah
  • V.Lucky
    V.Lucky Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    I must admit I have the milkman to deliver bread, but wouldn't consider him for milk as he is so expensive.

His bread is cheaper than the local shop, and Tesco's don't sell the type of bread we like (Robert's).
    :hello:
  • chloe99_2
    Options
    i have small family (2 adults one child and baby who doesn't drink it anyway) and worked out i go through about 18 x 4 pints a month (wow!!! you'd think we'd be drowning in the stuff). In tescos it's £1.11 but in asian grocers (who were having a bit of a milk price war with each other) it's max 85p each - so in a month I could save 18 x 26p = £4.68 or a huge £56 a year.

I can't believe I only just realised this - there must be some huge savings to be made for families with more children than us.
  • regulator_2
    Options
    chloe99 wrote:
    in asian grocers (who were having a bit of a milk price war with each other) it's max 85p each

Being Asian myself, we shop in alot of small asian shops for vegetables and spices etc and I must say, Milk is usually very cheap there; As with many other products. If you were to compare the prices of vegetables there and in a regular supermarket, you will see the savings for most items instantly. However, with all other things such as drinks, the prices will be much deerer.

Another good place for the milk is costcutter where 6pts milk is £1.25.
  • marymilkmaid
    Options
    I used to relief milk 4/5 times a week so I got free milk. Now I only occasionally do so I find it very expensive buying milk. Could always put a cow on the back garden!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure