Can I get my debt written off due to mental illness

Hi, not sure if I am posting on the write forum but I'm sure somebody will be able to point me in the write direction if not.

Basically, I have heard that you may be able to get your debt's written off if you were suffering a mental illness at the time the account was opened, and I wondered if this is the case, does anybody know how to go about it.

Many thanks in anticipation of your response

Comments

• Halloway
    Halloway Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    leighliz wrote: »

If I were you I wouldn't thank us until you've actually read our responses...
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,728 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    For what specific reason do you think you might be able to do this ? Should the card company have been aware that you were mentally ill ? Do you think they were negligent in lending to you ?
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    other posts by leighliz:

'I'm also on the old system, csa1 and my ex owes almost 20,000'

'we are currently receiving child benefit and tax credits for our 16 year old daughter who is in further education. However, she has developed severe panic attacks and...'

'
    I got a fickle apology and eventually a £1,000 apology payment'

wow, you must be rolling in it! well done!
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    What sort of mental illness are we talking about here?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    uktyler wrote: »
    Trollism??

PMSL :rotfl:
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Hi, not sure if I am posting on the write forum but I'm sure somebody will be able to point me in the write direction if not.

Basically, I have heard that you may be able to get your debt's written off if you were suffering a mental illness at the time the account was opened, and I wondered if this is the case, does anybody know how to go about it.

In my experience you can only get debts written off for the most serious cases (and I dont wish to be rude but you seem fairly well balanced and articulate looking at your other posts) and you have to provide psychiatric reports to prove the illness. Also I tend to find that whilst some companies will not pursue the debt the debt still lies on the file.

I have only managed to get debts written off for clients who have severe psychological issues such as acute schizophrenia etc and the likelihood of them ever holding down a job and so being able to pay back the debt is remote.
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 June 2009 at 5:52PM
    I see you are busy bee

As mentioned you seem to know what you are doing, in fact your quite articulate

Success at long last!!! £4.5 compo
    Should we remortgage

Sorry you have cancer though but no reason to think its a company fault for making you take out a loan ie mental illness which you claim below otherwise fit and healthy

You also claim to be "
    However, I have just tried to renew the policy, and as the cancer has spread, even though I have no symptoms, am taking no medication and am "otherwise fit and healthy"

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1681523&highlight=

No mention of mental illness last month either
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    DKLS wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Yes you can but you would have to be sectioned in a medium secure unit, followed by lots and lots of ECT.

Bonus is your debts will be cancelled AND you will receive a very natty jacket that fastens at the back.
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:;)
  • mc33033
    mc33033 Posts: 123 Forumite

The argument would be that of the party did not have capacity to enter into contract so the contract should be unwound - your chances of having this argument work will pretty much mean you were sectioned later on the day you took out the contract/debt otherwise don't even think about it, lack of capacity to contract is very hard to prove on your side.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I believe it is possible in some very extreme cases but its quite complex to prove.
    There is also the argument about bi-polar and extreme spending but again thats complex and long winded.... concessions can be made but as kimitatsu says its usually in the most extreme cases that this occurs.
    I did manage to get some bank charges refunded for a patient when I was working on acute wards but thats a bit different to getting your debts written off.
    In short.... I'd say probably not.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure