Tesco Bank Login Problem

For the last year or more I've had no problems logging in to Tesco Bank. On attempting to do so this morning (using Chrome as usual) I was told that my computer was not recognised, and that they'd have to send me a One Time Access Code. This they did, and on entering it I was asked if I wanted to make my computer 'recognised', so that I can login straightaway next time. I opted to do this, but then got a message saying:

Important Information

Sorry, we weren’t able to set your computer to be recognised the next time you login. If you continue to see this message, you can visit our Online Banking Troubleshooting guide for common reasons and fixes.

For now, you can continue to Online Banking, but we’ll not be able to recognise this computer until it’s successfully registered with us. Please Contact us if you have any questions.

Now I've looked at their troubleshooting guide here:

http://www.tescobank.com/personal/finance/change/online-banking-troubleshooting.html

but can't see any incorrect settings on my PC.

Has anybody else experienced this problem, and if so do you know how it can be fixed?

(I know they have a help line, but I'm not sure I can face it!)

Thanks
Stompa

Comments

• oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Have you seen the latest message on their troubleshooting page (you gave the link). The trouble might be that your software is up to date.
    Important for customers who clear their browsing history

If you're using an up to date browser such as Internet Explorer 8 or above, or Firefox 4 or above, along with Flash version 10.1 or above, then you may find that we’re unable to recognise your computertransparent.png after you delete your browsing history.
    This is because of an update made to Flash in version 10.1. You can still log in to Online Banking after you delete your browsing history if we have your mobile phone number. We'll send you a One Time Access Codetransparent.png by text message to your mobile phone which will allow you to log in.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    oldvicar wrote: »
    Have you seen the latest message on their troubleshooting page (you gave the link). The trouble might be that your software is up to date.
    Thanks, yes I had seen that. But I've always deleted browsing history (typically using CCleaner [with the Tesco files excluded]), and have never had a problem. As far as I can see Flash 10.1 was released about two years ago, so I don't think that can be the issue.

The problem seems to be that I can't now get it to set my PC as 'recognised' in the first place, let alone retain it as 'recognised' on a subsequent visit.
    Stompa
  • Stoneman_2
    Stoneman_2 Posts: 124 Forumite
    I had the same problem.

I normally access tesco through my iPad and suddenly it stopped working when they made the changes to the security.

It allowed me to recognise the iPad, but the next time I tried it, it said that the iPad wasnt a device that I could use to access online banking (although it did let me the first time)

I can only access it through my PC if I go via Safari (normally use IE8)

Might be worth trying Safari (if you haven't already)
  • Stompa
    Stoneman wrote: »
    I can only access it through my PC if I go via Safari (normally use IE8)

Might be worth trying Safari (if you haven't already)
    Thanks, I've just been trying other browsers. For me, it seems that it's only Chrome21 that fails. IE8 and FF14 seem to work fine. I'm not sure I can be bothered to try and figure out why, so I'll just use another browser for now.
    Stompa
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You need to keep a copy of the flash file that Tesco puts on your PC.

Then when you've deleted your history/cookies - you can put this one back.

I've been doing this for the last couple of years without a problem.
    evenasus wrote: »
    Vista - C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\Shared objects\ Then which ever flash file you require.

XP - C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\Shared objects\[Random Name]\ Then which ever flash file.
    theoderic wrote: »
    For Vista and Windows 7:-
    C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\[Random Name]\ login.myproducts.tescobank.com

You'll need to "unhide" hidden files and folders, if you haven't already done so.

Hope I haven't spoiled anybody's fun by giving away the filename.
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The folder you should keep will be called login.myproducts.tescobank.com
  • Stompa
    evenasus wrote: »
    You need to keep a copy of the flash file that Tesco puts on your PC.

Then when you've deleted your history/cookies - you can put this one back.
    Thanks, I already do much the same thing. Though I just set CCleaner to exclude the following folders (XP):

C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\[Random Name]\login.myproducts.tescobank.com\

C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\#login.myproducts.tescobank.com\

which avoids the need to manually put them back.

But that's not the issue, even when those files are present, Google Chrome fails.
    Stompa
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Tesco bank got bad publicity very recently from a security expert who found they did not encrypt their passwords so any successful hacker had your passwords available in plain text - very bad practice. Maybe they are trying to upgrade their security leading to these issues?
  • Stompa
    talexuser wrote: »
    Tesco bank got bad publicity very recently from a security expert who found they did not encrypt their passwords so any successful hacker had your passwords available in plain text - very bad practice. Maybe they are trying to upgrade their security leading to these issues?
    Thanks, that thought had crossed my mind. Though I think the recent problems with security at Tesco are related to their shopping website rather than the bank, at least I hope so!
    Stompa
  • caileag
    caileag Posts: 104 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chrome v21 uses a sandbox for flash, so it works effectively independently of other browsers.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/7evN0lilGFc

Hence, the files you previously excluded to make the computer stay recognised will probably not be the right ones for use with Chrome v21.

Probably worth calling the helpdesk?
    Free is my favourite price!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family