~Avon Hints & Tips (Part 8) ~ Please read first post :)

lozza1985
lozza1985 Posts: 3,373 Forumite
edited 12 April 2014 at 9:38AM in Boost your income
Please check this first post in case your question has already been asked, if it hasn't, please feel free to post.

If you're new please introduce yourself :) .

( The previous thread can be found here )

Welcome to the Avon Hints and Tips threads. We are a friendly bunch on here, a mixture of Representatives and Sales Leaders. No question is ever a silly question, we welcome all questions, although you should check out the first posts as your questions maybe answered here. Yes, there is quite a lot to read and take in, but you don't need to digest it all in one go, come back and read in your own time. Have a question? Check the Frequently Asked Questions (further down this post) as it may already be answered here.

What is Avon?

A catalogue with toiletries/makeup/beauty items/some clothes/accessories. A representative orders for customers and earns discount on all items sold.

Representatives buy the catalogues from Avon and canvass friends, family, neighbours, work, local streets/local businesses, baby clubs, gyms, etc for orders.

How to Sign Up with Avon

You can contact Avon through their website, http://www.avon.uk.com/PRSuite/home_page.page

or look in your local newspapers, local shops, Tesco, Sainsbury's, etc for an advert from a Sales Leader looking for Representative to join their team. Or google avon + your town name and see if it brings up anyone.

If you contact Avon through their website,you will be allocated an Area Sales Manager or a Sales Leader who will come out and visit you, give you more information and sign you up. Sales Leaders are generally easier to contact and provide more help but all comes down to who you get! Some ASMs are great and very supportive.

What costs are involved in starting with Avon?

You pay a £15 sign up fee when joining, you pay this over the first two campaigns and this covers the Administration costs, it effectively comes out of your earnings. And your ASM or SL will supply you with at least 20 brochures for each of your first 2 campaigns.

NOTE: You MUST declare your earnings as you are classed as being self employed, whether actually employed, self employed or on benefits already. You can be fined for not doing so and AVON does advise you to sign up as self employed.

click on here for I Geeks useful info for new reps

TO REGISTER AS SELF EMPLOYED - CALL THE NUMBER BELOW

they are very helpful and will talk you through the process.

Newly self-employed tax helpline: 0845 915 4515

or use online registration

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/register-selfemp.htm

How do I earn money?

For every order you place over £80 to £150, you will receive a discount of 20%. For orders place over £150, you will earn 25% discount. So in effect - if you get £100 orders, you would get £20, if you got £200 you would get £50. Costs of brochures etc need to be paid out this though, but it gives you an idea if percentages aren't your strong point.

Plus, if you are a little "short" on orders this is very useful to know:

£137 customer orders - 20% commission = £109.60 nett to you
£150 customer orders - 25% commission = £112.50 nett to you

So, essentially, the extra order for £13 worth of goods actually only costs you £2.90!

When you place an order with Avon, you will see that there is an Avon Price, which is the brochure price, Customer Price, which is what your customer has to pay, and Your Cost Price. Your Cost Price is how much it would cost you to purchase the product, this is not the same as the customer price as it is discounted. Your invoice will show you how much discount you have earned, this is money you get to keep once you have collected the money from your customers and paid avon.

A great benefit of being an Avon Rep is that we can purchase products at cost price (depending on how much you sell) plus we have a Rep exclusive magazine (called Hello Tomorrow or HT for short) where we can order products 2 campaigns early, at roughly a 30% discount on the brochure price. This can save you money on everyday toiletries, and if you spend a lot on Avon products already it will work out much cheaper for you, reducing your outgoings.

How to distribute and collect your books, VERY IMPORTANT!

"This is the statement from Avon about how you obtain customers

There are two ways a Representative can find new customers. They can canvass their allocated territory (which is given to them by their Area Manager or upline Sales Leader) with brochures which should be delivered to the homes on the territory and re-canvassed on a regular basis (checking if those people that did not order from them before may want to order now). A Representative should only canvass the road or street that has been allocated to them by their Area Manager or up line Sales Leader.

The second way is by identifying 'Who they Know' - these customers would be the Representatives personal network, e.g. family, friends and work colleagues and may live anywhere."

Right, before you distribute your books, you need to prep them and make sure you get them back.

First of all you need to buy protective bags for your books, you can buy plastic freezer bags with a ziploc top from Poundland or 99p shop or from Avon direct, they have the Avon logo on, item code 76935. Pack of 50 bags for 80p. These are just large enough to take an Avon book. Or buy your bags from ebay.

Recommend by Sylvergrunge

http://www.stormtrading.co.uk/grip-s...x-11-107-p.asp

they offer free p&P

First of all you need to prep your book. Get your Order form and put your contact details, usually your name, mobile number and/or email address is sufficient. Make sure you mark on the bottom of the order form when you will be coming back to collect the book, and when you will be delivering the order. I recommend highlighting this to make it stand out more.

If you want to pass on a message to your customers, ie Spend £20 and receive a free gift, there is a space for a message on the order form.
Put the order form in the brochure.

On the front of the book, place a sticky note or a piece of paper, clearly saying that you will be coming back to collect the book on xx date, if they could please leave outside to save you disturbing them, even if they do not wish to order. Also a message about if they would not like to receive any more avon books, to tick this box and leave their house number, so you know not to leave a book there.

Also, if it is your first time delivering books to new territory, you might like to put a note introducing yourself, ie Hi, I am xx, your Independent Avon Representative and I will be covering your road. I can be contacted on xxxxxxx.

This gives people a chance to know who you are and what you are doing and that hopefully you are going to be a regular rep who sticks at it.

Put your book in the plastic bag and away you go. The note on the front is very important for trying to get as many of your books left out for you as possible. MOST people don't realise that with Avon, we have to pay for our own books and so won't leave them out. If you don't tell them, they don't know.

Some people like to door knock and introduce themselves. You should still put your books in a plastic bag, so they have the option of leaving the book out for you, although some people don't like to, so you may need to knock for these books.

Others, like me, like to stuff and run. By this we mean, put in the letterbox, and go. Then we come back a few days later to collect the book, I say 2 or 3 days is plenty for the first time. If your book hasn't been left outside on your confirmed day, knock on the door and ask for it back. If no one is at home, put a note through their door, saying you called for their order, sorry you missed them, if they would like to contact you, give your details, or if they could just leave the book outside for you to collect the next day.

Make sure you use your calling book, or notebook etc, to record the houses you deliver brochures to, so that when you come to collect them you know which houses you need to go to.

Your calling book is also useful to make notes in - which houses don't want brochures, who orders from work (worth trying them in a few months in case their Rep finishes), who works shifts, any other important notes (I have a customer who is hard of hearing, so I make sure to remember that I need to take her phone number with me in case she doesn't hear the doorbell).

This is very important, especially when you are first starting out, especially if you only have 20 books, you cannot afford to lose them all.

Good luck!

Abbreviatons can be found here

Click here for the FAQs.

AVON Connects

Potential customers can use Avon Connects to request a Rep to deliver them a brochure. For you to qualify to receive these "leads" there are some criteria:

Be registered on the Avon website
Association with Avon for more than 4 campaigns
Have no outstanding balance
A minimum of 2 orders in the last 3 campaigns
Have award sales of at least £156 in last 3 campaigns

A great way to get new customers / sales is to host a party - tips for this can be found here

General hints and tips

Christmas Tips by Joyfull:

- Start to order extra brochures well in advance for 'Xmas only' customers. Always carry a brochure around with you at this time of year.

- Keep an eye out for Xmas gifts for customers from Clearance well in advance to save OOS disappointment

-Think about any Xmas Offer or Incentive or special Newsletter to promote your business

- Start writing out Xmas cards to customers in advance (saves wrist ache!)

- Put a note on the Xmas brochures stating that 'now is the time to order for Xmas'. Remind customers of replacement / refund policy.

Remind customers to purchase batteries on items that require them.

101 Uses for Skin So Soft Soft and Fresh Original Dry Oil Body Spray code 06700 can be found here

*~* We are compiling a list of product recommendations to help - link is here - feel free to add your reviews (good and bad!) *~*

Links for online brochures:
These are useful to post on Facebook (or email to people) to give your friends/family a chance to browse without having to ask for a brochure - stops them feeling as pressured to order.

brochure 6
brochure 7
brochure 8
brochure 8 sale
brochure 9
brochure 10

Guide to using Facebook to help build your Avon business is here

Link for a returns form

Avon Lady since 2009 - I help on the Avon hints & tips thread to help other reps/new sales leaders as I was helped so much by it when I first started out :A

Comments

• missminx
    missminx Posts: 947 Forumite
    Excellent sparkly new thread! Thanks Lozza :D

If anyone is due to order C13 and can order 2 lipsticks, please let me know via pm :)

Have a meeting with my ASM on Monday re doing the SL thing... crossing my fingers it will all work out. Having almost a year and 16 campaigns under my belt, I feel ready!
    Still looking for the plot...... Anyone seen it???
  • lozza1985
    missminx wrote: »

If anyone is due to order C13 and can order 2 lipsticks, please let me know via pm :)

Have a meeting with my ASM on Monday re doing the SL thing... crossing my fingers it will all work out. Having almost a year and 16 campaigns under my belt, I feel ready!

No problem - if you have any SL related questions just give me a shout :)

Have finally got round to letting my team know about this thread, been meaning to ages but kept forgetting!:o
    Avon Lady since 2009 - I help on the Avon hints & tips thread to help other reps/new sales leaders as I was helped so much by it when I first started out :A
  • missminx wrote: »

Thats great news MM good luck for Monday.

I did a church table top sale today and the turn out was lower than expected but did an Avon Tombola at 25p a ticket 5 for a £1.

Shifted a fair amount of items that cost me 75p but most importantly I had half a dozen people asking for brochures which of course I gave them and will be picking them up next week.

The festive season will soon be amongst us and I can see me doing more and more of these church fetes/table sales.
    Joined Avon : 13/04/2011 C8 £168.98 C9 £270.99 C10 £237.65 C11 £227.27 C12 £299.97 C13 £298.50 C14 £308.14 C15 £347 C16 349.09 so Far :)
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 3,678
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    thanks for the new thread :)
    Me, DD1 18, DS 16, DD2 13, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
  • slm6002
    Forumite
    ok i have worked out how to do credits and replacements but i cant work out how to do the following. Some of you may remember i got 2 pairs of flip flops rather than 2 pairs of slippers.the invoice also said slippers so Avon beleive thats what i have received. I would still like the slippers at the price in HT13 (I think) so need to send the flip flops back - do i do a credit or replacement? and which code - i cant see any that are suitable.

I hope this makes some sense
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks for the new thread :D
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • joyfull
    joyfull Posts: 861 Forumite
    Well done and thanks Lozza - looking good....
    "Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”
  • lozza1985
    slm6002 wrote: »
    ok i have worked out how to do credits and replacements but i cant work out how to do the following. Some of you may remember i got 2 pairs of flip flops rather than 2 pairs of slippers.the invoice also said slippers so Avon beleive thats what i have received. I would still like the slippers at the price in HT13 (I think) so need to send the flip flops back - do i do a credit or replacement? and which code - i cant see any that are suitable.

I hope this makes some sense

Not had this before - I'd suggest emailing Avon through the contact us bit on the website to explain.

When I've returned items that were sent as alternative items, the item originally ordered is what shows on your invoice & online (rather than the product they sent). In that case, you submit a return for the item you ordered, as they know that they sent you an alternative. But when it's something that they don't know they sent incorrectly I'm not sure - I'd say submit a replacement - to replace with the correct item, and write on the returns form that they sent you the flip flops in error when you package them for return.

Just a guess though, best to email them though, to get them to confirm this, then you have proof in case they have a problem refunding/replacing.
  • lozza1985
    Have just altered the first post a bit more, noticed we had nothing mentioning using a calling book, not sure how we missed that before so have added a bit on, and made the connects info a bit more obvious for everyone.

If anyone else has any suggestions just let me know.

I don't suppose anyone has the link for the make-up guide? Thought that might be useful.
  • slm6002
    Forumite
    i have just emailed avon to ask the question - do they answer fairly quickly?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport