Cheap International Text Messaging/SMS

oxymore
oxymore Posts: 107 Forumite
Does anyone know any reliable ways to send cheap internation text messages from your phone or somehow use it out of your contract? There seem lots of bypasses with phoning abroad but nothing about texting? I'm on a contract with three and they charge 25p per international text message!

Thanks.. x

Comments

• medic1978
    medic1978 Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Use something like https://www.smsbug.com or https://www.vgsmail.com

You will need to download a program to your phone and then use wap to send the texts (will be sent like normal texts).

Wap costs are usually very cheap for sending texts. Overall cost is around 3-5pence (i.e cost of using credit on above program and cost of wap combined)

Many international and national operators are supported.
  • medic1978
    medic1978 Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    PS just read that vgsmail doesnt work with '3'.

Not sure if the same is true for smsbug
  • Hello there,
    I had a look at smsbug, and it looks quite intresting, and it seem to work with 3G.
    Do you know by any change how do i pay for the text messages i send? is it through my normal bill, or do i need to open another acount.
    Also, will i be able to decide whether to send a text through my normal system or through WAP? this is becuase i get lots of free texts with my contract, but not internationally...

many thanks and hope you can help,
    Daniela
  • Hello there,
    I had a look at smsbug, and it looks quite intresting, and it seem to work with 3G.
    Do you know by any change how do i pay for the text messages i send? is it through my normal bill, or do i need to open another acount.
    Also, will i be able to decide whether to send a text through my normal system or through WAP? this is becuase i get lots of free texts with my contract, but not internationally...

many thanks and hope you can help,
    Daniela

You download the program onto your mobile and register account. Then you can log in on-line (to top it up, or even send texts if you want to save WAP costs e.g if you were near a computer anyway)

You can send texts the normal way without a problem. If you want to send texts through smsbug then you open the small java program you already downloaded on your phone and do it that way, or if you are near a computer you can send from there too.
  • oxymore
    Thanks :) I tried smsbug but the sms to send my password never seems to come on my phone.. :( Has anyone else tried them out? Thanks x
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had the same with smsbug and O2

also try vgsmail mobisms and Vyke, the last being cheapest at 2c each
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    I've just returned from O2 to Vodafone - they include international texts in your allowance, O2 didn't!

Catt xx
  • oxymore
    Thanks.. the other guy said vgsmail doesn't work with 3 though? i'll give the other one a try though! *cross fingers* ooh vodafone, maybe i'll give that a thought on my next contract! i wonder if it includes minutes too, o2 does i believe. x
  • oxymore
    ok, it seems that on vyke, there is no download program? i mean, you register, go to download, and click on download to mobile phone, and it just brings you back to the mobile faq page!! where is the java program?
  • on o2 price plans £35 or above it costs 12p to text abroad, 16p per text for price plans below £35.

If on lower than £35 per month you can add ITS for £2.99 a month which will reduce the cost to 12p.

As far as I'm aware no network includes international texting as part of their allowance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure