Managed to scrape several cm of limescale from toilet bowl bottom. how to prevent?

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 January 2017 at 3:25PM
    How do you think limescale gets in kettles!?
    I thought that it was obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ilzeGm3wIM
    cashmonger wrote: »
    I do not believe all the, limescale/whatever it is, is from the water alone and non from bodily waste. That seems a very outlandish claim you're making.
    Outlandish?
    How do you think that this happens:
    eagle-water-treatment-hard-water.jpg
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I thought that it was obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ilzeGm3wIM

Just the title was enough! No. Just no.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Married Quarter pre march-out tip. Deep clean the toilet bowl with washing machine de-scaler. Oust do one with 2 packets of powder in a box. Dissolve the contents of both packets in half a bucket of hot (not boiling) water, tip down the loo, and leave for a long as possible.
  • cashmonger
    cashmonger Posts: 411 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2017 at 4:29PM
    Married Quarter pre march-out tip. Deep clean the toilet bowl with washing machine de-scaler. Oust do one with 2 packets of powder in a box. Dissolve the contents of both packets in half a bucket of hot (not boiling) water, tip down the loo, and leave for a long as possible.

Thanks but too little too late :).

Re the limescale ok yes I see what yall are saying but the waste material must speed the process. So I will accept an amalgam of water and waste products.

For example I use the tap way more than the toilet and non of those have any limescale as in the pictures and I also only clean them very rarely.

Anyway, back to the OP, to flush or not to flush and how much more should i expect to pay in water bills if the former?
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Follow the same if it's brown flush it down, if it's yellow let it mellow. We use bleach every 3 or 4 days and this shifts the limescale build up.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

I doubt anyone who is worried about the cost of the water used to flush the toilet is going to spend money on a de-scaler!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    your water company might give away 'flush savers' they are plastic bags that you put in the loo tank so that the quantity of water that is flushed is smaller. This might be an option if you can't have a dual flush.

With regards potential changes in bill ..have a look at your waterboard website. Mine has a waterbill calculator where you fill in how often you flush loo, shower, wash up etc so you might get your budget answers there.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It depends on your water company, but here are some ideas of the cost from United Utilities here in the NW:-

What does a litre or cubic meter of water cost?

Last updated
    Nov 14, 2016

• 1 litre of water costs less than 1p
    • 1 cubic metre costs £2.92
    • A cubic metre equals 1,000 litres of water
    1,000 litres is equivalent to:
    • 3,300 cups of tea
    • 28 showers
    • 13 baths
    • Flushing the toilet more than a hundred times
    So around 2p - 3p per flush.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    Cyclamen wrote: »
    your water company might give away 'flush savers' they are plastic bags that you put in the loo tank so that the quantity of water that is flushed is smaller. This might be an option if you can't have a dual flush.

With regards potential changes in bill ..have a look at your waterboard website. Mine has a waterbill calculator where you fill in how often you flush loo, shower, wash up etc so you might get your budget answers there.

Or just do it the old ways and pit a brick in the bottom of the tank.
    Same principle.
    How much are you paying and hoping to save on water??
    We just go business as usual and our bill is £20 a month (unmetered), and we have a big house (more bedrooms then people).
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    I also don't believe that it was urine. You must have lots of lime in water.
    Just put cheap Tesco bleach there once a week and properly foam it up with a brush (by that I mean use the brush to proper brush around in the water level).
    We had new toilet 2 years ago and looks brand new (we don't flush at night so same principle).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure