Proof of address car insurance help!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Mr_Poves
    Mr_Poves Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately there are way too many people doing the postcode lottery regarding insurance quotes .
    Whether you have intentionally mislead them or not , it won't look great.
    As a rule most people of driving age reside at one place and have mail sent there and accounts registered for phones and banks etc .
    My father in law lives in blackpool which halves my manchester premium , I have looked out of curiosity , but would never dream of giving them an excuse to get out of a payout.
    An insurance policy is alot more than just a piece of paper or an email that you pay for , when the shi7 hits the fan they dig deep , and that initial saving isn't so great after all ?
  • Zen12345
    Options
    I changed the v5c solely for the purpose as a confirmation this was where the car is registered and kept over night
  • Zen12345
    Options
    Mr_Poves wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are way too many people doing the postcode lottery regarding insurance quotes .
    Whether you have intentionally mislead them or not , it won't look great.
    As a rule most people of driving age reside at one place and have mail sent there and accounts registered for phones and banks etc .
    My father in law lives in blackpool which halves my manchester premium , I have looked out of curiosity , but would never dream of giving them an excuse to get out of a payout.
    An insurance policy is alot more than just a piece of paper or an email that you pay for , when the shi7 hits the fan they dig deep , and that initial saving isn't so great after all ?

I understand what you're saying. However, I never had really thought about it to be a problem at the time.

The thing is my brothers address is only 15 minutes away and the premium amount was marginally different, say 100 pound? Paid Nearly £1500.

Can they void me for only having the v5 document?

Or maybe I can ask my bank for some proof of confirmation although that's not likely..
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just be honest with the insurers and try and work something out, but It doesn't look from the insurers point of view,

just because your mother's address didn't work doesn't mean you should try other addresses. Maybe it happened for a reason, perhaps your mother's area has high rates of claims and hence uninsurable.

You should always put your driving license address to the where the car will be residing.

https://www.gov.uk/dvla-change-address

I hope it works out for you.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Zen12345 wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying. However, I never had really thought about it to be a problem at the time.

The thing is my brothers address is only 15 minutes away and the premium amount was marginally different, say 100 pound? Paid Nearly £1500.

Can they void me for only having the v5 document?

Or maybe I can ask my bank for some proof of confirmation although that's not likely..

Insurance where I live is cheaper than where my mother lives, 6 miles away.

If you go not a lot further South, then I've heard of quite a few drivers/cars being referred, depending on the company.

This is why it doesn't look good.
    💙💛 💔
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    You should always put your driving license address to the where the car will be residing.......

Poor advice.

The address on your driving licence is irrelevant to your car's "residence"!

eg. You might be at UNI, where your car is kept. Your driving licence would be your home address, and your car would be registered at your home address!

(Your DVLA "address" is where you can be contacted)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure