Pointshop.co.uk has debited me for £45 x 2!

Options

Comments

• makara
    makara Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 July 2011 at 5:41PM
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    But that doesn't explain two payments if the first one was cancelled. If you cancelled via their website

In terms of how "long" you are given to send in a dispute form to your Credit Card (in my case, it's a Tesco Clubcard Credit Card - issued by Mastercard - I am just waiting for the form to arrive in the post from Tesco Finance) - is there a time limit you have to send back the forms by?

At the moment, the only £45 transaction I can see from Pointshop was debited from my Tesco CC ** on July 26th **.

Now I don't know if this £45 is for the FIRST period (the "15 day" one I mentioned in the above post, i.e. July 7th to 21st) - or for the SECOND period (the "30 day" one I mentioned as being July 26th to August 25th).

I want to wait for about 1 to 2 months to see if the SECOND £45 gets debited, before putting in a dispute.

If it turns out they only debit me for that ONE lot of £45 (the one they've already done on July 26th), I can live with that - but will dispute the matter if I find a second £45 ALSO debited.

So would it be ok to not send in the CC dispute form for say 60 days from now - to give me time to see if Pointshop try to take that second lot of £45 from my Tesco CC ?

i.e. do Mastercard have an "allowable time" for disputed transactions to be formally disputed by the Card holder?

*** EDIT - Tesco CC have confirmed it's ok to wait until the end of August or beginning of September - to see if I am debited for another £45 - before submitting the Dispute forms.
  • makara
    Options
    Here's the summary of my "VIP" membership transactions from their website -

06th April 2011 to 11th April 2011 @ £1 - Correct

07th July 2011 to 21st July 2011 @ £45 - Not correct - I rejoined their VIP program for 5 days on another "£1 promotional offer" for 5 days

- BUT regardless of that...they've provided only * 15 days * of service - while charging me £45 - when the £45 is for * 30 days * !

Is this a valid argument for "Not providing a service"? i.e. they've charged me £45 for only 15 days?

Quoting from Arcon5's post -

>>> We will then withdraw 45 pounds each 30 day <<<

26th July 2011 to 25th August 2011 @ £45 - assuming my unsubscribing was not properly done (either my fault or their system's), this would be correct - as it's for a full 30 days.

So it's the middle transaction (7th July to 21st July) that's bugging me - does that £45 charge for only 15 days of "Membership" mean they haven't provided the "Service" for the price?
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am I reading this correctly?

6th April you paid £1 for 5-day free trial. Successfully cancelled, received confirmation email. No further charges.

If so, lets forget about this for the time being..

On the 7th July you signed up again forthe £1 free 5-day deal..
    Your pointshop statement shows:
    - 7th to 21st July @ £45
    - 26th July to 25th August @ £45. This will be the £45 its showing will soon be debited.. (?)
    - Assumable you would then be billed on the 26th of every month @ £45?

If i'm reading this right.. what happened to the 22nd July to 26th July?

It may well be they have specific billing dates in which case I would image your billed based on £1.50/day for the 15 days.

Sorry, maybe i'm missing something important, but i'm trying to establish a timeline.

IMPORTANT question... have you yet cancelled the service and received confirmation of this? If not you will be charged until you have.

If i'm reading the thread correctly it looks like you have made a mistake and not cancelled in time (if at all yet). If this is the case then you might just need to cancel ASAP and take it on the chin. Happens to us all at times, but shows the importance of reading what your signing up for.
  • makara
    edited 29 July 2011 at 7:04PM
    Options
    - 7th to 21st July @ £45
    - 26th July to 25th August @ £45. This will be the £45 its showing will soon be debited.. (?)

If i'm reading this right.. what happened to the 22nd July to 26th July?

IMPORTANT question... have you yet cancelled the service and received confirmation of this?

1) I'm also wondering what happened from the 22nd to 25th July...

2) Not sure if the £45 ALREADY debited from my CC is for the period "7th to 21st July" - OR if it's for the period "26th July to 25th August"

- hence why I will be waiting until the end of August / start of September to see if I am charged AGAIN for another £45.

3) Yes, I cancelled (again?) on the 28th of July (I mentioned this in one of my above replies - see Post # 11 above - and I did get confirmation of cancellation).

So there are 2 question marks -

A) Is the Debit for the £45 that was taken from my CC on July 26th for -

Period "7th to 21st July"?

Or is it for Period "July 26th to August 25th"?

B) Why has the billing period gone from July 7th to July 21st - and been billed at the full £45, followed by a Gap - and then another £45 for July 26th to August 25th?

Whichever way I look at it, it seems they have charged me a full 30 day subscription at £45, but for only 15 days - and then a weird Gap of 4 days - and then another £45 charge for a full month.
  • makara
    edited 29 July 2011 at 7:03PM
    Options
    Your pointshop statement shows:
    - 7th to 21st July @ £45

It may well be they have specific billing dates in which case I would image your billed based on £1.50/day for the 15 days

That's what's puzzling me - why debit £45 for 15 days membership, when the Terms you pasted in a previous post show the £45 (for 30 days) is made up £1.50 per day?

So to all intents what I should have been billed (assuming the unsubscription didn't go through) for was £1.50 x 15 days = £22.50.

And then the mystery of July 22nd to 25th still remains.

I'll keep checking my CC transactions online for about the next month, to see if a further £45 is debited. If another £45 is debited, I will reply back at that time.

If however no more amounts are debited, then I will let the £45 already debited slide - and will put down the weirdness in those "dis-jointed" billing dates as due to some sort of mistake on their part.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you contacted pointshop to have them explain the billing information?

That might well be your best bet as there does seem to be some odd discrepencies here. Maybe the 5 day gap is classed as the '5 trial days' in some wierd way, although doesn't explain the other 15 days.

Keep us informed on how you get on here. If they do try charging you after you have cancelled maybe consider cancelling your card.
  • makara
    edited 29 July 2011 at 7:06PM
    Options
    Have you contacted pointshop to have them explain the billing information?

That might well be your best bet as there does seem to be some odd discrepencies here. Maybe the 5 day gap is classed as the '5 trial days' in some wierd way, although doesn't explain the other 15 days

Will try E-mailing them again (although I don't hold out much hope, as other U.K. customers have had similar "non-responses" as I alluded to above, with that "broken link" stating "Your query does not exist" after my first mail to them).

Yes, I also thought about the 5 day gap being perhaps linked to the 5 day TRIAL - and yes, even if that's the case - it still doesn't make up for the 15 days left out.
  • makara
    edited 29 July 2011 at 7:26PM
    Options
    Just did a quick calculation, and looked at both my Tesco Credit Card statements AND my Pointshop account -

6th April - £1 deducted from Tesco CC for 5-day Trial membership - reflects correctly on both Pointshop AND Tesco CC websites.

7th July - another £1 deducted from Tesco CC for SECOND 5-day trial - but is NOT showing on Pointshop website - but IS showing on Tesco CC website.

Pointshop website then shows £45 fee for "7th to 21st July" - with another £45 fee for "26th July to 25th August".

Meanwhile, ON 26th July itself - Tesco CC website shows a £45 debit - which at this moment in time I cannot tell if it's for "7th to 21st July" - or for "26th July to 25th August".

As I discovered this on the 28th of July (i.e. 2 days after the 26th July period mentioned above started), I cancelled my subscription - but Pointshop's automated E-mail said although the cancellation was received, my VIP membership will continue to be in effect until 25th August.

Still calculating all that - the MOST I should be charged is one lot of £45 - because I COMMENCED my "new trial" on July 7th - then may or may not have cancelled it - and then definitely cancelled it on July 28th.

July 7th (start of re-subscription) to July 28th (cancellation of re-subscription) ** is less than 1 month ** - so at an absolute limit, my Tesco CC should only be charged £45 ONCE.

So the July 26th start period they mentioned for the SECOND lot of £45 is "cutting half-way in" to the FIRST 30-day subscription - which SHOULD have been "July 7th to August 6th"...but instead got altered to "July 7th to July 21st"

- that's where things seem to have gone awry.

All in all, one lot of £45 is the absolute most they should be charging.

Will keep checking my CC online to see if another lot of £45 gets debited until the first week of September

- just typing all this out to see if anyone can spot something in the above that I've missed :-) - but I honestly can't see I've missed anything else!
  • nad_
    nad_ Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    i will rekon that you can't subscribe twice for a trial period,i.e. you had already taken the trial period of 5 days and then after un-subscribing it you went for the 2nd one.which i think won't work.
  • makara
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to give an update -

I think they messed up their end - although my account STILL shows £45 x 2 months, they only ever debited my Credit Card for ONE lot of £45 (as they should have done).

What was weird was when they sent their reply, they copied and pasted some OTHER customer's Pointshop account data - showing 1 x £45 - which is how mine SHOULD have looked too.

In any case, it's now resolved to my satisfaction - i.e. just ONE lot of £45 was ever debited.

Thanks to all who replied :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport