Sony Ericcson W850i - HELP in unlocking

Hi,
We have just bought this Sony phone off Ebay. It was mis-represented in the description (in more than one way). Despite being advertised as being unlocked, it isn't and we need help to unlock it if possible. (On Vodaphone presently and we are Orange) As it is for a child's christmas present we need assistance pretty quickly, so would appreciate any input from the mobile phone experts out there. All help would be appreciated. Thanks - Sally

Comments

• timberflake
    timberflake Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    My girlfriend brought what she thought was an unlocked phone from ebay and turned out to be Vodafone. She went into the O2 shop (the network she's on) who told her that to completely unlock it so that WAP and such would work she needed an "Unlatching Code" which needed to be obtained from Vodafone. Seemed a long drawn out process so we just left it! However, if you just want to unlock it to accept your orange SIM and anren't particularly bothered about WAP if you google "Unlocking a mobile phone" you should be able to find a website that can do it.
  • Go to the network the phone is locked to. It costs about £15 usually
    formerly mrmilo69
  • timberflake
    timberflake Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Go to the network the phone is locked to. It costs about £15 usually

As I said, you can get the phone unlatched from Vodafone, but if you just want the phone unlocked it won't cost that much.
  • drahcir_2
    drahcir_2 Posts: 4,127 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    only vodafone can give you the code for this, although someone with access to vodacode database maybe able to get it quicker/cheaper
    voda may want !!!!!! of ownership
    try pming james-73 on here
  • asot
    asot Posts: 149 Forumite
    I think the W850i is a "DB2020" (I don't know what that means exactly, the software it runs on maybe?) phone and these Sony Ericssons cannot currently be unlocked unofficially. At least that's what the majority of websites and people say - I have seen a few advertisements but they don't inspire trust.

I would either contact the network (as previously suggested) or the eBayer to get a code/refund respectively.
  • kai666
    kai666 Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    if you just want to unlock it to accept your orange SIM and anren't particularly bothered about WAP.

unlocking it won't stop the wap from being used, it is very easy to enter the wap settings for a new provider. Most will text them to you, or just go to the sony ericsson site, they will also text you wap settings
  • sallysaver wrote:
    Hi,
    We have just bought this Sony phone off Ebay. It was mis-represented in the description (in more than one way). Despite being advertised as being unlocked, it isn't and we need help to unlock it if possible. (On Vodaphone presently and we are Orange) As it is for a child's christmas present we need assistance pretty quickly, so would appreciate any input from the mobile phone experts out there. All help would be appreciated. Thanks - Sally

Just go to your local mobile dealer and they'll unlock it for about £10. make sure ya haggle with the price. Voda only charge about £15 £20 for unlock anyway.
  • kai666
    kai666 Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    rash.m2k wrote:
    Just go to your local mobile dealer and they'll unlock it for about £10. make sure ya haggle with the price. Voda only charge about £15 £20 for unlock anyway.

you can haggle all you like but as already stated,but it can't be unlocked yet, apart from by the network you got it from
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Found this on another forum :)

It's possible to request an NUC at anytime from customer services. You
    can do this either by contacting 191, going into a Vodafone store or
    getting in touch by email using the 'contact us' option on
    https://www.vodafone.co.uk. If you leave the short code FIT135 in your email
    this will route you through to a member of our online team who'll be
    able to send off a request for your code.

You'll just need to provide the following information:

- Make and model of handset
    - IMEI number (you can find this by entering * # 0 6 # and pressing
    send)
    - Address including post code

Vodafone then contact the manufacturer to obtain the NUC code. If the
    handset is under twelve months old then there would be a charge of
    £19.99 to unlock the handset which is either debited from the account
    (if contract) or needs to be applied onto the handset as calling credit
    (if pay as you talk). If your handset is over twelve months old then
    you can get an NUC code free of charge.

Hope this information helps anyone else who has any future queries
    about Vodafone NUCs
  • i have this phone, you need a cable to unlock it or you can get it done at a market stall/unlock shop.
    Another day another R&R
    kindly sponsored by tescos.
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills