PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Keeping in a Store cupboard

Comments

• kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    maryb wrote: »
    Did I miss it or has anyone mentioned ... chocolate!!
    :EasterBun
    I always consider a store cupboard item to be something that keeps in the cupboard for a decent length of time.
    Chocolate never lasts more than a day in my cupboards :embarasse
    Zebras rock
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    sadly, that's true of me too!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I drastically reduced the contents of my store cupboard a while ago. The herbs, spice and condiments stayed; the jars and tins went (largely because they were out of date), as did the carbs. The baking stuff is not being replaced.

My freezer is my store cupboard now. If I need to refill it, I plan and then buy a small quantity of the required ingredients. Although I seem to spend more on food now, it's actually less because I don't buy bulk stock of stuff I never use.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Porridge is a must as apart from a jolly nice warming plate on a cold morning its handy for a handful of oats to streeetch a lb of mince beef with and also for making Twink's oaty biscuits a vital ingredient for a cuppa in the winter :)

I buy a box of 6x 1 litre UHT semi skimmed milk from Sainsburys for £4.25, and I use around one carton per week and it keeps very well in the fridge
  • herbily
    herbily Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Tinned custard! It turns almost anything into a pudding - if you have tins of fruit as well, they go very well with custard. If the leccy's off, you could in theory warm the can over a tealight...
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 October 2016 at 8:14PM
    On the subject of no leccie, we woke up on Christmas morning some years ago to find we had a power cut. The Electricity Company recorded message said it was due to lines being blown down, and that they didn't expect to get the power back until that evening at the earliest.

We have an electric oven, but a gas hob so we could at least boil some water for coffee!. I was just about to start hacking lumps off the turkey for a stir-fry, when the power came back on at 4pm. We finally sat down to Christmas dinner at 8pm.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I keep a few packets of soya "beanfeast" type packets. I actually like the bolognaise one (also handy for wild camping trips). Sosomix (soya sausage mix) is also good, makes great veggie Scotch eggs. They seem to last for ages.

Stuffing mix is also handy and makes a good base for bean burgers, rissoles etc.

Stock cubes / jars of concentrate been mentioned? A store cupboard necessity.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Katkin, Sosmix! That really brought memories back, I used to buy it in bulk, 2Kg bags, it was a family staple when my children were growing up, and fantastic for camping dinners.

We used it a lot to stuff marrows, too, it was a favourite dinner. The company that makes it must have changed the formulation, because I have never again come across the original one (pink with bits of vegetable suet, probably full of colourants and hydrogenated fat, but so delicious!).
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Just remembered a vital one that I couldn't be without Lazy Garlic adds a nice flavour to anything and although I enjoy fresh garlic a jar of this stuff ensures you never run out and you don't get lots of old dried out withered sad garlic bulbs at the bottom of the veg box :) I also like lazy Ginger as well . Its my one luxury I think
  • Sainsbugs do a jar of GARLIC GRANULES for £1 and also ONION GRANULES for the same price. I've always got several jars in store along with my herbs and spices to carry over those times when we're poorly or the weather is rotten and the fresh stores get used up. Useful alternatives that keep for a very long time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure