The SayNoTo0870 Article Discussion Area

Comments

• geriann
    geriann Posts: 158 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/0870-say-no#newrules

Merial UK [the makers of such products as Frontline flea treatment] are still using thier 0870 6000 123 customer helpline!

i used saynoto0870.com & found an unverified alternative number...01279 775858.
    i googled that number...just to see what i found...it's definatly Merial UK.
    that number is Harlow, Essex, CM19 5TG.
    i'm Peterborough, PE2 5PE...so i'm guessing it'll be charged at a Local rate?
  • Puffin74
    Puffin74 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Heinz wrote: »
    I don't understand that. What's wrong with ordinary 0161 xxx XXXX or 020 xxxx XXXX numbers? There are no ingress charges for those.

I completely agree with you there - as most people have a certain amount of minutes free on their mobile phones - it's getting to the point where you can't phone anyone without dialing n 0871, 0845 etc number
  • Widows_Son
    Widows_Son Posts: 16 Forumite
    Can anyone help me find an alternative to 0844 209 0315, which is the Legal Advice Line with Allianz, and saynoto0870 has nothing?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I guess a 24/7 legal advice line isn't free.

Use one of the alternatives to save money on the call. Override provider etc.

WeQ4U doesnt list one either.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• I started by looking at 0845/0870 numbers, but I now find that with some numbers, I have absolutely no idea what I'm being charged. I asked my provider (Plusnet) and they're getting back to me because they don't understand their own charges. I've looked at the BT list which is horrendously complex, and doesn't give a direct correlation with the STD code and the charge, instead going via a charge code, which seems impossible to correlate. So you have an access charge from your provider and a per minute charge that is near-impossible to get to. This is legalised confusion to obscure profits. I have a simple question, therefore, is there a list that says STD code ****costs X pence per minute?
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know what PlusNet's charging policy is for specific numbers. If you are on a phone package then you will probably find that all calls to 01/02/03 numbers during your 'package' time will be free. If you have to pay for them, they should be freely available on the PN website.The rate is exactly the same wherever in the country the person is.

Calls to 084* and 087* are charged at a premium rate. One part being set by your phone provider and the other by the company you are calling. Again, wherever you are calling from the cost is the same
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • thewinelake
    thewinelake Posts: 44 Forumite
    Most Plusnet customers will be on a package that includes 0845 and 0870 but you'l get fleeced for 0843/0844/0871
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Tommyt52 wrote: »
    I have a simple question, therefore, is there a list that says STD code ****costs X pence per minute?
    Since 1 July 2015, the charge for calling 08x rip-off numbers is the sum of
    (a) an "access charge" set by your phone company, which they have to tell you, and must be in pence per minute. Your phone company can include this "access charge" in your monthly bundle of calls, if they wish; plus
    (b) a "service charge" set by the organisation you are calling, which this organisation must state wherever they advertise their number, and which must also be in pence per minute (and can be zero).
    http://www.ukcalling.info/
    A company called Magenta has a website which looks up these charges in a database which they maintain.
    http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
    By the way, Subscriber Trunk Dialling (STD) disappeared in about 1970. Phone companies don't have subscribers any more, there are no trunk calls, and phones don't have dials. When you see "STD code" on a form, you can be sure that you're dealing with an organisation whose staff think nothing has changed since 1970.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 July 2015 at 1:56PM
    While the Access Charge is a per minute rate (and usually charged per second after the first minute), there are four types of Service Charge. These are:
    - per call (irrespective of call length)
    - per minute (charged per second starting at 0p)
    - per call plus per minute from the start of the call (with the per minute part charged per second starting at 0p)
    - per call plus per minute after 60 seconds (with the per minute part charged per second starting at 0p).

If you know the Access Charge and Service Charge that will apply, this will calculate the call cost: http://giffgaff.screet.co.uk/call
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tommyt52 wrote: »
    I started by looking at 0845/0870 numbers, but I now find that with some numbers, I have absolutely no idea what I'm being charged. I asked my provider (Plusnet) and they're getting back to me because they don't understand their own charges. I've looked at the BT list which is horrendously complex, and doesn't give a direct correlation with the STD code and the charge, instead going via a charge code, which seems impossible to correlate. So you have an access charge from your provider and a per minute charge that is near-impossible to get to. This is legalised confusion to obscure profits. I have a simple question, therefore, is there a list that says STD code ****costs X pence per minute?
    Welcome to UK telecoms regulation, OFCOM-style.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure