Anyone have opinions on SMS Legal

Options
I got fed up receiving calls from agencies claiming I could get my money back (PPI)

Finally took the call from a company called 'SMS LEGAL'[/B] [/B]and after a few questions and details given they claim that I have a case for unclaimed PPI on accounts that have been closed for several years.

I have previously received money from banks which I did myself but the claims being made now I do not have any documentation.

I am not sure whether they are reputable enough to pursue as essentially I need to give them what they are calling a 'holding deposit' of £499. They claim they are a governmental body and that should I get paid they have money in the bank should I not pay them their 25%. They also claim I get it back if the claims are unsuccessful.

I wont bore you further as I could carry on writing but what are your opinions on the company and whether I should pursue?

I could do it alone as they have told me who the guilty banks are but its time consuming. I know that's lazy but I just remember from first time round!!!

Advise please!

Comments

• addedvaluebob
    addedvaluebob Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    Run

Up front fee is always a warning sign. If they are any good they would rely on their ability to win a case.

Not a governmental body, no such thing report them to the Ministry of Justice for lying.

If you want to be lazy and use a company then follow the guidelines on here and do not pay anything more than 10%. Alternatively invest your own time
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 July 2015 at 9:40AM
    Options
    I am not sure whether they are reputable enough to pursue as essentially I need to give them what they are calling a 'holding deposit' of £499.
    Avoid at all costs.

Up front fees should never be used. Its a sign of a potential advance fee fraud. If you ever watched Hustle, you would no the fraud well. Tempt someone's greed by telling them they can get some payoff/item they want but to get it, it will cost you a smaller amount up front.
    They claim they are a governmental body and that should I get paid they have money in the bank should I not pay them their 25%.

That is a blatent lie which confirms they are committing fraud. (obtaining funds by deception).
    They also claim I get it back if the claims are unsuccessful.

And all the other people who get ripped off by this scam think the same.
    I could do it alone as they have told me who the guilty banks are but its time consuming.

Somewhat ironic that a fraudster is calling the banks guilty.

note to board admin should it be necessary: If someone is telling lies to get the person to pay them money, that is fraud. Telling an individual that they are a government body is a lie. The Government refer to these cold callers as scammers and police call them fraudsters. As per the following link: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/warning-on-scam-calls--2
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    That is a blatent lie which confirms they are committing fraud. (obtaining funds by deception).

And all the other people who get ripped off by this scam think the same.
    So it will be in the public interest to report the matter to Action Fraud. If you are the target of an attempt to defraud you, you are the victim of a crime - even if the attempt failed.
  • dugma1975
    dugma1975 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks so much for advise.

Its me being lazy and tbh I think I knew it was a scam as I am not normally bought in by this stuff!!!

Must of had a bad day!!!

I just need to figure out where my paperwork lies and if I dont have it how I can obtain historical information that I can use to pursue on my own.

Any advise?
  • shazallan
    Options
    I have just this minute received a call from SMS. It all sounded very official and I went along with it. They were a bit pushy! I stupidly gave them credit card information (card now cancelled with bank - a pain but peace of mind). I looked up their site, and so very glad to have this forum so I can see that others have received similar calls. I'm not going to reply and have blocked the number. Ignorance I hope will keep them away from me. That will teach me.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I could have easily ignored the calls etc, but i'm not that way inclined and they did the work so they earned their cut.

They did little more than put the form in the post to the address you would have sent it to had you posted the form.

You received £4500 but have to pay the CMC £1,620 (as its vatable service, it will be 30% plus VAT). A first class stamp costs 63p. you effectively paid £1,620 for a 63p stamp. On what planet is £1620 good value for that work?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    It seems that the post you quote has been removed, dunstonh - presumably because it was

:spam:
  • coookieman
    Options
    Having trouble getting my £499 back anyone else having same>
    JD.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    coookieman wrote: »
    Having trouble getting my £499 back anyone else having same>
    JD.
    If you are unhappy, make a complaint. If the response is unsatisfactory, go to the Legal Ombudsman (free).
  • Wobblyheed
    Options
    Yes, me too. Had my money for 9 months now and won't refund as they say they are still investigating. Looks like I've been had!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure