Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
When I buy a new car - I am offered supaguard etc
at about £400
I have never accepted this option
but what is supaguard ?
Is it worth it ?
Js there a home applied option ?

Comments

• It's a fancy polish which claims all kinds of miracles.
    At £400, no. You can buy the stuff for £30 on eBay.
    Yes, buy the stuff on eBay and DIY.

A load of people will be along soon to tell you how it's great and their 20yo car with SupaLifeSnakeGuardOilXShine only needs a teaspoon-full of water waved near it every six weeks to keep it looking like new, but IME a decent wash and wax will do the job just as well, and at less cost over the life of the vehicle.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Supagard is a paint and fabric "protection" applied to the car. It's a waste of money imho and I'd never have it done. Far better spending that kind of money on taking it to a professional detailer for a new car prep & detail.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    When I buy a new car - I am offered supaguard etc
    at about £400
    I have never accepted this option
    but what is supaguard ?
    Is it worth it ?
    Js there a home applied option ?

I'm sure you could have asked the sales person, anyways it's a paint sealant and fabric protector.
    A bottle of say AG extra gloss protection and a tin of scotchguard will set you back around £20, then there is the labour and skill of application.
    Both are best when applied to clean surfaces (eg new of freshly valet'd vehicle).
    The durability of both depends upon continued maintainance and timeley re-application.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It comes with a guarantee as long as you abide by their conditions which will include washing the car every 5 minutes with their shampoo & conditioning it with their conditioner in between washes.

I may have exaggerated slightly.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    EssexExile wrote: »
    It comes with a guarantee as long as you abide by their conditions which will include washing the car every 5 minutes with their shampoo & conditioning it with their conditioner in between washes.

I may have exaggerated slightly.

You're not wrong!

I know someone who bought a new car recently, and paid for this.

Complete waste of money, in order to apply it, someone has washed it, and they won't have washed it carefully/properly, so it's covered in swirls.

As mentioned above, the max you would pay for a full detail would be around £600 (and thats for a big car).

When you start looking into it, these "new" cars need a lot of correction, so why apply a level of protection on top of something that isn't perfect in the first place?
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    This sort of stuff works, but it doesn't last very long at all.

I saw a demo where they coated a sheet of kitchen towel with it, turned the corners up, poured in water and turned the kitchen roll into a water bowl.

Looks amazing and i'm sure that trick sells it to millions of customers, but if it doesn't last then what's the point?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Scotchguarding fabric seats is a good idea, which you can do yourself when brand new for a few pounds..
    The rest is a paint sealer that looks good for a few weeks, then fades.

My advice is to get the car home, and then in the flush of first ownership, go over it yourself with some good quality carnuba wax, then you will notice all the little defects in the paint to go back and complain about, with a chance of getting them rectified.

You need a top quality product, as if you are anything like me, you won't ever have the enthusiasm to do it again, so it needs to last for several years
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The paint treatment claims to be a polymer type (whatever that means) - I had assumed that it was similar to teflon (non-stick) ?
    Does it really last for 3 years +
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Does it really last for 3 years +

Not a chance ;)

To qualify the "Not a chance"- if you continually re-apply tiny amounts by using the special shampoo regularly it lasts quite a while. I suppose if you compare a car like mine that is washed whenever my clothes get dirty getting in, and one that is washed every week and superguarded, mine will look as shabby as it does, and the superguarded one will still be presentable.

I tart up my motorbikes with autoglym super resin polish, and seal with autoglym polymer sealer*, and they do look nice & shiny for a few weeks, but I do them each year, and they don't go out in the rain or if there is any possibility of salt on the roads....

*A motorbike is as big an area as I'm prepared to clean & polish :D
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A decent paint sealant cost £15 from Halfords (an expensive place to buy it) and a can of Scotchguard is £6.50 from Wilko/Robert Dyas.

My friend is a car salesman and he hates selling the stuff. The only people he advises to buy it are those that live in flats without car washing facilities or the terminally lazy on the basis that something is better than nothing.

The stuff is commission laden: salesman gets £30-40 for selling it, dealer principal gets about the same, dealership gets a cut, snakeoil salesman gets a cut, snakeoil company gets a cut etc etc.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport