Help- How do I cancel my Equifax account?

Comments

• cjd2206
    cjd2206 Posts: 46 Forumite
    I would deffo check!!!
    :heart2: Wife to my Soldier and Mummy to my 4 gorgeous children :heart2:

Extra payment a week - 5/2/12 - £11.84 :T
  • joannaspanner
    joannaspanner Posts: 614
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 February 2012 at 4:54PM
    try [EMAIL="paula.cloney@equifax.com"]paula.cloney@equifax.com[/EMAIL]
    '' Ok Marge, if anyone asks, you require 24-hour nursing care; Lisa's a clergyman; Maggie is seven people and Bart was wounded in Vietnam ''
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,581
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone, as well as the email I sent a Question in via the website (under personal details catagory).

Got a reply within hours but forgot my log-in details :o, so I can't read it, but it doesn't matter as another email came through a minute after the reply notification stating the product had been cancelled.

Phew!
  • Zodo
    Zodo Posts: 15 Forumite
    I used the free number and got the hard sell to stay but after reading all this I just tuned out and let her speak till she stopped and I politely declined each time. She then tried to offer me a free identity theft service for 12 months but I declined that too - after 12 months they charge for it. She got the message and cancelled it. Worth a 4-minute phone call to cancel, for the initial credit report and cashback, I'd say.
  • Equifax are a nightmare! The website is appalling if you're trying to find out how to cancel.

You can go to the FAQs as another forum member recommended above.

I called 0844 335 0550. Be aware that they do a hard sell. The operators are pushy and the person I spoke to was very difficult to understand. They try to give you your credit report free for a year and then they will auto renew you so you're paying for it monthly again.

I happened to have an account with Credit Expert too. I called them today - I got through immediately, they were helpful and the website is a zillion times easier to understnad. I'd recommend them.

Good luck cancelling with Experian. Thanks to this forum I didn't get too frustrated trying to cancel!
  • Thanks Spurdy & other MSE'ers on this thread. I had a panicked thought this morning that I hadn't cancelled after my 30 day free trial. I think I might have just edged into the 2nd month (will be keeping an eye out for the charge) but I gave them a call using the number Spurdy posted. I was expecting a lengthy call where I was bombarded with the hard sell but amazingly I was off the phone in a few minutes. It did take 3 attempts for her to understand the reference number as her accent was so strong and there was some crossed wires. I think my Northern Irish accent didn't help either! I did get asked about keeping it on, then offered the year free but I just said no thanks a few times and was told that I'll receive an email confirming the cancellation and that was the call over. Fingers crossed I don't have to chase them for the email!
  • I called and cancelled and asked for an email confirmation that the account is closed and no further payments of £6.99 would be taken from my account, they have done this, will find out next month but at least I have some confirmation if I need to call again.
    1. Call 020 7298 3000
    2. Press Option 1
    3. Ask to cancel
    4. Be firm but polite when they try to sell you further products
    5. I said "I am not interested in any further products, thank you."
    6. You will receive an email confirming cancellation within minutes.
  • Gra76
    Gra76 Posts: 804
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I got what I wanted from Equifax last month, called the number and spoke to someone who I could barely understand and told them several times I wanted to cancel.

In the end they got the message, but said (as far as I could work out) that they were going to downgrade my account to some free trial for 1 year, she said it was a 'thankyou' from Equifax for ordering my credit report.

I got an email through pretty much straight away that said "This e-mail confirms your recent Downgrade to Equifax Identity Watch™ Lite Free Trial."

When I look at my account online it says it's free. Is this likely to turn into a product that I'll have to pay for after 1 year or will they just stop it without any interaction from myself? The website doesn't really say and the sceptic in me thinks it may just be a way to sting me for money in a years time...
  • Gra76, I just signed up as I have just been stung by this. Noticed a charge on my expired credit card from equifax which I have not used for a year. When I called up to see what was going on I found I was subscribed to identity watch lite. Asked to cancel and was told that is fine and she would give me a free identity watch lite. It's free for a year and then you pay £2.99 a month. I suddenly realised this is what happened last time when I cancelled. After explaining I didn't want any services from them my account should hopefully be cancelled. I was told I could not close my account as I had ordered a product in the last year. Will set a reminder in my phone to close this account in a years time. Call them back and explain you don't want any "free" services.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure