Grants for home insulation - bargains!

If anyone is looking to get their home insulated - either cavity wall or loft insulation, check the energy saving trust website and find details of grants available to you (you don't need to be receiving benefits for this).

https://www.est.org.uk/change/

At the moment NPower are offering to insulate your home for £109 for loft and £109 for cavity wall (inc. installation & 25 yr guarantee for wall insulation).

I'm going through them and it's going to save me £600+ for installing the insulation and loads more by not heating the area around my home! & I won't have to wear two jumpers and thick socks anymore!!!
Named after my cat, picture coming shortly

Comments

• 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    do i have to be an N Power customer to get this deal?
    Thanks
    jim
  • oops - forget to mention that NO you don't have to be an Npower customer!
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You have to quote - "Change" as a reference when you phone, does that mean you have to change supplier to them to qualify ? :confused:
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I got the reference as "difference" for the n power deal
    Hey sugar-- how long did they take to survey the house?
    jim
  • Aletank - no you don't have to change supplier to get the grant.
    1jim - they took an hour or so to survey for loft & wall insulation (checking the loft for existing insulation & drilling holes in the external wall to check for existing wall insulation & whether the cavity is suitable).
    Forgot to mention the company that will be doing mine will also insulate the pipes and water tanks in the loft (inc. in the price) & would have done the hot water tank too if it had needed it!

check with the company that gives you a quote to check if they will also do this!
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Just be careful with some of these outfits that insulate your loft at least. I had cosywarm (think that was the name) to do my loft which previous had some insulation in. Rather than move boxes/ Christmas tree out of the way and do one area, they just laid the insulation over the top of everything.

If that wasn't bad enough, when I came to board the loft out a year later, I found that they only covered about 60% of the loft. The hard parts to reach they just left uncovered. I know it isn't all that easy to get too, but I manage to get the rest laid myself much to the detriment of my health.

Which begs the question why bother only laying the easy to reach parts and not the entire loft?

When I had a surveyor around due to house not having a cavity wall he checked an extension which did have one. Firstly drilling holes then finding out it didn't need it.

When the chaps came some months later to do the work, they were about to fill the cavity walls with foam even though the surveyor said it didn't need it as it had some insulation in.

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I just phoned up, they took my details and said the local installer will be intouch within the next week to arrange a survey.
    I'm not too sure if I will need it as my house is a 5 year old 3 bed detached, it has 100mm of loft insulation already - If they will top that up to 250mm I'd be happy. I'm not sure if my walls would of had some kind of insulation put in when the house was built :confused: We'll see what they say when the survey gets done hey ;)
  • We have been asked to clear the loft of all the cr*p, but to leave the existing layer of insulation. After they are done we can inspect the loft and make sure we are happy with the work they have done, before paying.

Clearing the loft is going to be fun - removing a 7' high garden gate and lots of empty egg boxes without putting your foot through the ceiling....
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    I removed all the stuff from my loft when they did my insulation last year. It's still in my garage!! The insulation is so dense, (and laid crossways over the joists) that it is impossible to walk up there safely and board it up as I wanted. The house feels warmer though! (had cavities done too) I'm with British gas by the way and it was totally free as I get children's tax credit.
  • mbspuk
    mbspuk Posts: 28 Forumite
    carol_a wrote:
    I removed all the stuff from my loft when they did my insulation last year. It's still in my garage!! The insulation is so dense, (and laid crossways over the joists) that it is impossible to walk up there safely and board it up as I wanted. The house feels warmer though! (had cavities done too) I'm with British gas by the way and it was totally free as I get children's tax credit.

Hi Carol

I get childrens tax credit too. How do you get free insulation as a result?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure