TFL Yellow Box penalty notice

Options
Hi All

Received one of those dreaded penalties for stopping in a yellow box.

In this case, it's a Yellow Box on Purley way at a horrible junction (anyone who knows that road will know it). It goes uphill so can have poor visibility.

Anyway, I'm following traffic, and there's clearly plenty of room beyond the box. I'm following another car, and for some reason he stops about half a car width in front of the yellow box though has plenty of room in front of him. I unfortunately then have to stop. Half my car is beyond the yellow box (or just under) - front tyres beyond it, rear tyers on the wrong side.

I wasn't blocking any traffic what so ever. And after me beeping the idiot in front a few times, he moved forward and I proceeded to go beyond the box.

Is this grounds for appeal? My worry is that I appeal, it gets denied, and rather than pay the £65 discounted fine I have to pay the full £130.

Would love advice on this from any experts. If everyone stopped before the other side was openly clear, it would be ridiculous as it is uphill so that would mean every car at a green light on this 30 road would have to stop, wait, and then go?

Thanks!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
[/FONT]

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I imagine you mean the Edgehill Road junction.

Sorry, I can't see any grounds for appeal.
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    Options
    This is by skoda dealer?
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You were either stopped in it or you weren't. By the sounds of it, you were stopped in it. Seems black and white to me. What the guy in front does or doesn't do is not grounds for appeal.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Was the yellow box clear when you entered?

Clearly, it wasn't as the car in front of you stopped, forcing you to stop within the hatched area.

You have committed the offence.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • MercilessKiller
    Options
    I would argue that 100% of people do not wait for the hatched area to be fully clear before entering it. The start of the hatched area is not like a stop junction.. This is a 30mph road, dual carriage way, uphill. If EVERY car stopped first, waited, then went, that would be weird.

The guy had plenty of room in front of him (and did move once I beeped a few times). This is the weird thing - If you drive and go over a yellow box next time, I would bet a large amount of cash that, when clear in front of the car ahead, you enter the hatched area before the other car has exited...
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    [/FONT]
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    I would argue that 100% of people do not wait for the hatched area to be fully clear before entering it. The start of the hatched area is not like a stop junction.. This is a 30mph road, dual carriage way, uphill. If EVERY car stopped first, waited, then went, that would be weird.

The guy had plenty of room in front of him (and did move once I beeped a few times). This is the weird thing - If you drive and go over a yellow box next time, I would bet a large amount of cash that, when clear in front of the car ahead, you enter the hatched area before the other car has exited...
    Still doesn't mean you have grounds for appeal.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear

Highway code 173
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • MercilessKiller
    Options
    By this argument, 100% of people should receive tickets in that case (or pretty close)?
    [/FONT]
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Highway code 173
    But if the exit IS clear when you enter it, because the car in front of you is crossing the box, then he stops in the box or immediately on the other side of the box and forces you to stop in the box?

I don't know this junction but some of those cross hatched boxes are very big. Are you saying only one car can enter at a time and the car behind has to wait for the car in front to fully cross the box and an extra space for you before you enter the box? I can't see that happening ever. If people did that these junctions would grind to a halt with massive tailbacks.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • MercilessKiller
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    But if the exit IS clear when you enter it, because the car in front of you is crossing the box, then he stops in the box or immediately on the other side of the box and forces you to stop in the box?

I don't know this junction but some of those cross hatched boxes are very big. Are you saying only one car can enter at a time and the car behind has to wait for the car in front to fully cross the box and an extra space for you before you enter the box? I can't see that happening ever. If people did that these junctions would grind to a halt with massive tailbacks.

My point exactly. This is a huge junction. 2 to 3 lanes from every angle in a huge box. It's unreasonable to think you have to wait for the car to exit before you enter, when the exit is clear.
    [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family