PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Darn it - husband wants to go to Costco at the weekend as he likes to drink cans of Diet Pepsi and it's loads cheaper buying them there than at the sm. The thing is that because of this we don't tend to buy them at all when we don't go to Costco and that's even cheaper! The other problem is resisting buying loads of other stuff while we're there. It's very easy to get carried away.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Hi all,

Haven't posted for a few weeks, but I'm off work ill so have some time to myself today!! I'm in again for £120 for March. Have already spent £45, but other than dd's school cooking ingredients, no plans to shop until Saturday. I usually do my shop on a Sunday, but my mum is coming up for the weekend, and she'll want 'nice bread'. She is babysitting for me though, so a reasonable price to pay!! I've been waiting years for dd to be doing cookery at school - I really want her to get motivated about cookery, as when I encourage her, she'd rather watch paint dry...! Last week, she made fruit salad and in her words is now an expert at it! Bless her. She made one last night, so I had more than my five a day ��. This week she's making fish goujons, but I have all the ingredients except the fish so not too expensive.

I made a lush keema curry last night, which I shall finish tomorrow. Today's plan is sausage casserole, spag bol tom for the ch as they don't like curry, then steak for me on thurs as ch with their dad. Fri is chicken something and not sure what I'm cooking for mum on sat yet...

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • I keep meaning to flour it before frying next time, as this apparently really crisps it up also. My favourite brand at the moment if Tofoo.
    Not tried the Tofoo brand. Yes, if you flour the tofu, you can add some spices to the flour if you like, it really does crisp it, it's lovely.

I 've not spent since Tuesday, as I started doing Marie Kondo, and its taking a bit of time, but am running a bit low fridge wise, may shop today or tomorrow, or may try to cook up the lifeless sweet potato into something, with storecupboards stuff. Have a lovely day everyone.
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hello all

First spend of the month although was away for the weekend so few snacks added, had a lovely time staying in a log cabin in the woods, nowhere near shops!

Will be away again for a couple of days so busy trying to use contents of fridge with no waste. Prepared lots of veg for a rice pilaff which will freeze and used with freezer curries in the month.

Everyone is doing really well - have a nice day everyone
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • Ginmonster I feel your pain! I'm in love with a particular hot sauce that is a fraction of the price at Costco, and also the supermarket only sells it in little 200ml bottles and I need the stuff by the litre. But then I just know that I'll step into Costco and that strange Costco spell will fall over me and before I know it I'll be walking out with a 2kg wheel of Brie, a whole smoked salmon, enough gummy bears to last until 2019 and a faint buzzing noise at the back of my head.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    No spends so far this month, :) but I have a voucher of £8 off a £40 spend at Tes**. I think it would be a shame not to use it so I'm going to look for fruit/veg and things on offer that will keep eg toilet rolls, coffee. I'll do an online shop so that I'm not tempted and can get the price as close to £40 as possible.

Don't forget that one of our number who insulated her loft with on-offer toilet rolls in order to use her discount voucher... some years ago but it always stays with me, that one :rotfl:
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 March 2017 at 8:08PM
    Another NSD today - will be a bit spendy tomorrow as getting hair done (different budget) and the weekly food shop - also succumbed and ordered meat pack for Thursday, but that will last a while and obviously mean I won't have to buy meat each week.

On the subject of vouchers, we found £30 of Boots vouchers we received for Christmas and forgot about - I think I will stock up the bathrooms with that over the next couple of months - get DS2 some smellies for his birthday in April too :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • The last three days have been NSD (grocery) for me so I'm up to 5 for the month. Woohoo! Working from home definitely helped that. I'm packing my lunch and snacks tomorrow to avoid buying things out. I may stop at Lidl to get Parmesan cheese and more salad greens. I still have to collect my Dettol delivery from the drop off point as well. Other than those two purchases, i think we can last until Saturday when I'll get more olive oil and some fresh veg.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Hi all,

Have already spent £45, but other than dd's school cooking ingredients, no plans to shop until Saturday. I've been waiting years for dd to be doing cookery at school - I really want her to get motivated about cookery, as when I encourage her, she'd rather watch paint dry...! Last week, she made fruit salad and in her words is now an expert at it! Bless her. She made one last night, so I had more than my five a day ��. This week she's making fish goujons, but I have all the ingredients except the fish so not too expensive.

Well, not too expensive, but did take 3 supermarkets to find it!!! £3.20 for the fish, half of which is left in my freezer to be used at another point. As it's syn free, I might use it to make some fish cakes. We'll see!!

Up to £48.20 now.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    still on track, no spends so far this month!! xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts