Get a rebate on your sewerage rates charges

Comments

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Our house was built in 1980 and we do have drains and downpipes that "go into the ground" :rotfl: but a silly question: what is a soakaway and how can I check whether it does run into a soakaway or a sewer?? :o
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    A soakaway is a large pit, normally filled with builders rubble, somewhere near you and under the ground - so you can't see it. Normally if your downpipes go into the ground, they go into a soakaway.

If you can locate a sewer cover 'downstream' from your house you can check by running water from a hose onto your gutters and check if it is running into the sewer.

Or check your plans - however most houses built post war have soakaways.
  • pom_2
    pom_2 Posts: 30 Forumite
    We live in a newly built house, completed in January - does that definitely mean that our surface water goes to a soakaway? Our guttering downpipe goes into a hole in the ground and the water from the garden drains into the same hole.

We've lived in a succession of new houses for the past ten years - how do water companies get away with charging for a service they know they don't provide in this way?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    pom wrote:
    We live in a newly built house, completed in January - does that definitely mean that our surface water goes to a soakaway? Our guttering downpipe goes into a hole in the ground and the water from the garden drains into the same hole.

We've lived in a succession of new houses for the past ten years - how do water companies get away with charging for a service they know they don't provide in this way?

It is mandatory that all new houses have surface water to soakaways, unless a concession has been granted.

I believe that when water was privatised one of the conditions was that the 'default' position was a charge for surface water to sewer would be made.

If it were the other way about(i.e. no charge for surface water) I wonder how many would 'volunteer' the information that their water went into a sewer;)

Bear in mind also that it is not just water from gutters. If, say, the water from your drive runs into the road you are inelligble.

I think the real scandal is that not enough publicity is put out by Government and the water companies about the ability to get relief from this charge.

However if that drainage charge was waived for loads more(or all) customers it would simply mean the other water charges would rise.
  • pom_2
    No, our water runs either into the hole in the ground where the downpipes go to or else they run into the garden. I will ring them today to ask for our surface water charges back and let you know how I get on.

Shall I tell my neighbours? :rotfl: There are 85 households on this development and at £25ish a year that's quite a bit of wasted money!
  • pom_2
    Well, I've contacted my water provider and apparently I need to 'prove' that my surface water doesn't run into the sewers. To do this, I need to have an architect, chartered surveyor or structural engineer to draw up a plan of my home and garden showing where the drains, sewers, etc. It doesn't matter a jot that my house is almost brand new - I still need the property surveyed.

Of course, if I pay to have that done then it will cost me money, potentially quite a lot of money in comparison to the amount I might save.

It seems I have to carry on paying for a service I'm not using because I can't 'prove' that I'm not using it.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Anglian region, you just download a form, make a sketch and sign a declaration.
  • fagun
    fagun Posts: 411 Forumite
    I'm pleased to advise that Welsh Water have now apologized for their mistake and offered a full refund dating back dated to 2003 of monies wrongly taken.

I still think it's fraudulent for a waterboard to charge for a service they have refused to supply.

Waterboards are going to continue falsely charging customers until the customer realizes the error and claims a refund etc. :mad:

I think it's about time Martin got onto this fraud. :money:
    Thames Water only offer a refund from the start of the current billing year. Can they get away with this or can we claim back for upto 6 years (in line with civil liability)?
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    News just in: Crabman hates Severn Trent :mad: :wall:

Spent 12 mins waiting in queue only to be cut off. PHoned back and after waiting was told there is no rebate for water running into a soakaway. THird time I was transferred twice then eventually sent an application form after I had to explain what surface water charges were :rolleyes:

And I'm paying almost £600 per annum to these muppets. :wall:
  • pom_2
    Ken68 wrote:
    Anglian region, you just download a form, make a sketch and sign a declaration.

Apparently, I can produce my own sketch so long as the property is worth less than £1000. Righty ho....

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't beleive that I have to pay for a service I'm not using unless I pay someone to prove I'm not using it :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure